Need help planning tree plantings (update: Pear Project Begins Now)

Jim Boyd

PS - the hanging cooler is for WATER only...

?

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I tell you cant go wrong with persimmons I have some growing by our dirt rd. n after it rains their are more tracks than I can count in bow season

Jim Boyd

You seem to be enjoying yourself. That is great. Where did you get your trees?

I love every minute of the work - actually even more than (or at least equal to) the hunting.

I did not get the trees yet, I was just testing the auger - as it is new to me.

Bought it used this week.

Hoping to plant in January.

Jim Boyd

I called the state nursery in SC and the sawtooths don’t come in until early to mid February.

glynr329

I called the state nursery in SC and the sawtooths don’t come in until early to mid February.
Jim,
Take a look at these trees. I have 1 planted and pleased with results.
DWARF CHINKAPIN OAK 10’ USDA Zones 6 to 9
This small tree or shrub makes an excellent choice for wildlife. Dwarf Oak gets approximately 10 ft. tall and can produce acorns in 3 to 5 years. Mostly found in the Eastern U.S. Habitat: Grows well in dry sandy, rocky or acidic soil.

spencer12

I get all mine from GA forestry. I’ve planted a few hundred sawtooth, swamp chestnut, and white oaks over the last 3 years. Tree tubes are a must, also get good stakes or you will be replacing them every year. The tubes work wonders.

Jim Boyd

I’ve planted a few hundred sawtooth, swamp chestnut, and white oaks over the last 3 years.

Great heads up, Spencer.

With the tubes, what has your survival percentage been?

For the early planted trees are they up out of the tube and growing well?

Did you fertilize as you planted?

Many thanks !!

Jim Boyd

Jim,
Take a look at these trees. I have 1 planted and pleased with results.
DWARF CHINKAPIN OAK 10’ USDA Zones 6 to 9

Glynr -

Brief research shows that these trees are not as readily available as bare root seedlings - meaning to get them is more expensive.

Do you have or know of an outlet to get bare root seedlings - in an attempt by us to help lower the costs??

Thanks - love to try them!

Right now, my tentative plans are 100 sawtooth in 2020 and 100 persimmon in 2021.

Right now it looks like we can do each year for $5-600 with the tubes, fertilizer etc. We can use EMT for stakes.

spencer12

Great heads up, Spencer.

With the tubes, what has your survival percentage been?

For the early planted trees are they up out of the tube and growing well?

Did you fertilize as you planted?

Many thanks !!
Out of the first 50 which were in tubes I would say 40 made it, the other 10 were planted in not so great areas. I would say that with the tubes (if planted in the right areas) you would see around a 90% survival rate into year 2-3.
The sawtooths were out of the tube in their first growing season. A few of the swamp chestnuts made it out their first year and I had 1 white oak grow out of the tube.
I use 5 ft tubes and I planted all as seedlings. I had some of the sawtooths grow over 3ft in 1 year. It makes a considerable difference for sure.
Forgot to add that I fertilized some of the trees and did see some benefit over not fertilizing. I’m hoping my sawtooths will have some mast this year. They are now going into their 4th growing season and are around 15ft tall.

Jim Boyd

I’m hoping my sawtooths will have some mast this year. They are now going into their 4th growing season and are around 15ft tall.

Man, that is super sweet!

glynr329

Glynr -

Brief research shows that these trees are not as readily available as bare root seedlings - meaning to get them is more expensive.

Do you have or know of an outlet to get bare root seedlings - in an attempt by us to help lower the costs??

Thanks - love to try them!

Right now, my tentative plans are 100 sawtooth in 2020 and 100 persimmon in 2021.

Right now it looks like we can do each year for $5-600 with the tubes, fertilizer etc. We can use EMT for stakes.
The bare root are 2 dollars each at Wild life group. I am thinking about getting a few.

SRShunter

Awesome JB, just remember first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap. Love planting trees. Did the same in barnwell about 2015. My sawtooths had quite a bit of acorns, but aborted them in july guessing due to lack of rain. It was the 1st time they ever had acorns. Chestnut trees look promising but no chestnut yet. Did have a kieffer pear with a few last year no this year. Sure wished I did things different and first but you live and learn. Tree tubes are definitely a must. Had some of the prettiest tree get eaten to the ground by deer. And just like anything some will perform better same tree same dirt etc. Good luck I'm sure you have done your research and everything will go well for you!

SRShunter

You know how you feel when that foodplot first comes up?!?!?! Wait till you see the first leaves on a tree you planted. Wow!!! Is all I have to say. And knowing that tree and you will be remembered forever at least a lot longer than a foodplot life expectancy. You will live on like William Shakespeare for generations. I've lost so many trees, but you're welcome to come see mine in barnwell if you like. I'll be here to closing day of deer season. Good luck and happy new year to everyone on gon

Jim Boyd

You know how you feel when that foodplot first comes up?!?!?! Wait till you see the first leaves on a tree you planted. Wow!!! Is all I have to say.

Thanks SRS!!!!

Excited to get the process going....

Jim Boyd

Ok Folks - here we (grow)!

Ended up getting 100 one gallon sawtooths.

He also gave me two pear trees and the tree tubes for them. He says they will bear in two years.

He is a Midwest deer hunter and we got to talking. He has leftover fruit and nut trees in early spring and told me to come back and work with him on a deep discount for trees that do not move this year.

Planting this weekend!

4EF3BCDE-577C-4BA6-81A2-9E7669B212D2.jpegFEE29FD8-D6A4-4094-994E-4ABBA869C8AD.jpeg