Need help with scope.

pete2018

I got a new scope today and it was mounted and bore sighted at the store. I went out to sight it in more and I was far right. So I turned it to go left but am short 3 ins and the dial won’t turn no more.. what do I need to do or should I take to back to the store and see what they can do ?

catch22

It sounds like it was not mounted correct. Take it back or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. First check and make sure it didn’t come loose. Check the screws on the rings and bases.

Lilly001

Sounds like a mounting problem.
A defect in a new scope that would cause your problem would be rare.
My guess would be mounting issues.
I'd take it back to the store that mounted it.

bany

is it offset? Like on a winchester 30-30? You may need to shim it. Other wise or even so I’d take it back for a discussion

nmurph

It sounds like it must have moved. If it was bore sighted it should be relatively close and you shouldn't run out of adjustment. What model scope is it? What type of rings and base is it set in. What is the rifle?

Tight Lines

Can you take a picture? As others have said above, if it was mounted and bore sighted properly then you should not have run out of adjustment unless you were trying to sight it in at 1200 yards... :)

pete2018

Sorry am having trouble loading a picture. It’s on a rugar M77 and they are the rugar rings. The rings Different heights. The front one is a one size bigger than the front and I was shooting at 100 yard or may be a little longer. Am going to take to back to day and get them to remount it and bore sight it and see if it happens again. Thanks for your replies

flintlock hunter

You might also give the manufacturer a call. They will most likely have encoutered the problem before, and can offer a solution. If the rifle is still new the Ruger mount could be off, or possibly the rings need to be trued up. Factory defects even from a reputable manufacturer happen on occation.

I would try reversing the rings, front to back, back to front, and try it again to determine if the rings are defective, before anything else.

nmurph

Sorry am having trouble loading a picture. It’s on a rugar M77 and they are the rugar rings. The rings Different heights. The front one is a one size bigger than the front and I was shooting at 100 yard or may be a little longer. Am going to take to back to day and get them to remount it and bore sight it and see if it happens again. Thanks for your replies

Are you saying your rings are different heights or different sizes? If so, there's your answer.

HuntingFool

First make sure the scope is set to 0 for all adjustments. This will be tedious but you need to take each dial and turn all the way till it stops. Turn it back the other way until it stops and count each "click" as you are turning. Divide that in half and that is 0 on your adjustments. Turn each dial that number of clicks to get it to that middle number. Now mount the scope in the rings. Use any ring adjustment you can while boresighting. Then use the scope adjustments. I use to have this issue some when getting stores to bore sight my scope. Now I do my own. Bore sighters are cheap.

catch22

lastly.....when you go back to the range. start at 25yds.....exactly. draw a dime sized bullseye and aim for the middle. When you knock the bottom of the bullseye (while aiming at the middle) ...then back out to 100yds..exactly.

dont start at "100 or more"....even with bore sighted scope.

NCMTNHunter

My experience with the ruger system is that you need to snug up the rings to the bases and to the scope at the same time. The rings are supposed to be different heights on the rugers because the machined bases are different heights. The first set I mounted I locked the rings to the bases first but that resulted in the rings being twisted a little. Which could cause the problem you are describing.

Then I started just getting the bases finger tight where they can still move a little. Then snug the scope up in the rings. This forces the rings to be square with the scope and action. Then tighten the base screws a little and tighten the scope screws a little a until everything is to torque.

Last edited:

pete2018

Thanks for all the help. I took it back yesterday and there going to order a different set of rings and shoot it them self’s. There sure it’s a mounting issue.