Need little help!

Ole3Toe

Finally got my obsession set up and started shooting it last night. I am having a problem with string hitting my arm. It is not hitting me hard or leaving a whelp, just barely touching my arm almost every shot! Not sure what's going on. Never had a problem with this in the past, in fact I can't remember the last time I got hit with previous bow( Hoyt alphamax). This is my first "speed bow" and first bow with 6" brace height( not sure if it has anything to do with it?). I don't think DL is too long. I'm 5'9" and DL is 27.5. Just seems I have to bend my arm a little too much for string not to hit it. Any ideas?

Kris87

Can u post pics of your form,? I'm 6'2 and only 28.75" DL. Could be your bow arm. It's def not the bow.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I bought an Obsession Fusion 6 a couple months ago and have touched my arm with it a couple of times. Never happened with the Mathews I was borrowing previous to buying my own bow. I'm 6'1" and draw 29" for reference.

I've found it's all about ensuring I rotate my elbow to point almost sideways instead of locking and pointing downish if that makes sense. The only time it really hit me - it really nailed my arm to the point of breaking the skin and leaving a purple and yellow bruise - I had just gotten home from working out and I instinctively held the bow like I was doing some kind of lifting and bam :hair:

I haven't done it since. I'm pretty new to this so I'm still working on form and consistency.

watermedic

Try keeping the grip of the bow on the thumb side of your palm. Mainly on the pad itself. Your knuckles should come off of the left side of the riser at a 45 degree angle.

Also you can open your stance a little which will change the angle of the bow arm and rotate it away from the string.

Kris87

DL isn't long so that's good. As medic said, it's your grip. You have a lot of palm on the left side of the grip. As he said, you'll be much better off shooting just off the thumb pad itself, which causes your bow forearm to rotate clockwise, away from the string path. Here's a couple of photos I took one year when I was bareshaft tuning an Elite and playing with grip results.

You're more like this:

Try and move it to more like this:

Whenever I try and switch someone to this it always feels awkward at first, but in time you'll get used to it and grip torque will almost be non existent. Good luck.

Kris87

You can see how the knuckles rotate up to that 45 deg angle. This is a very neutral grip that works well on nearly every type of bow.

uturn

^^^Great piece of advice here^^^You will know you are gripping or holding correctly not just cause no more string n arm contract but you will probably be wondering why all of your shots seem to be right of center!!

When this is happening more often than not time to move sight as required back to center...now you are butter!!

Good luck!

Ole3Toe

The grip definitely works as far hitting my arm, just gonna have to get used to it. Just got a few questions. My thumb wants to push up against bottom of shelf. I have to concentrate to push it down and relax it. Make sense? And also my level bubble on site is almost all the way to the right. Maybe just something I have to play with. Little bit inconsistent with left and right, but I will figure it out. Seems I get most consistent shots when I touch thumb and index finger around grip and keep them touching through out the shot. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

livetohunt

I think your draw length is slightly long too. Maybe 1/2" or so. No bend in your elbow at all in the picture.