Need some advice on waders - also used fishing supplies in ATL?

bchalker

I want to do some wader fishing in Jones Creek. I've never worn or even looked at them before, though. I prefer to get a used pair, since I need them for myself and two sons (get's pricey).

- Do I NEED chest waders? Or would hip ones work fine?
- Is there a brand NOT to look for? quality-wise.
- any shops around ATL selling used fishing supplies?

Todd71673

Hip waders work fine til ya see that big'un in the middle and you go a little too deep. I love my Hodgman chest waders and felt soled boots, got them from Cabela's 5 years ago and I fish alot but I take care of my gear. Or you can just wait til the summer heats up and go wet wading.

bird35

I bought non-insulated waders from Cabela's. They were the Cabela's brand. Not to expensive. I have had mine for 4 years with no problems. I highly recommend chest waders. I am 6'03 and use chest waders. I don't fish in water that deep, but sometimes I have to cross higher water to get to where I want to go, or more often I have to cross high water to get back to the side.

The adult sizes are 69.00 and the youth sizes are 59.00

If it is above 75 degrees I just wade in a swimsuit and life Jacket. This is nice because you can just float over deep parts. I got a life jacket at Wal-Mart for 20.00 with enough pockets to hold my fishing stuff.

There's a pair at Bass Pro Shop, Red hen or something with the word red in it.

They have felt boots on them already, and they are priced at about 69.00.

Very, very thick and heavy though.

Hip Waders are a waste of money, so I wouldn't go that route.

I actually have a pair of used L.L. Bean stocking foots you can have. They have a slight leak on the right knee, but you can probably get it fixed with some wader glue.

You would also need to get a pair of boots for them, but they are relatively inexpensive. I use Korker's. You can change out the felt when they get worn down. Pretty nifty.

You can have the waders for free.