New arrow - Recommendations

The Fever

I want to get a heavier arrow for hunting this year. I have been eyeballing the Easton FMJ. I'm shooting 70lbs at 28 inches. What spine and head combination should I get? Other arrow recommendations are welcome other than the Easton.

JohnStevenM

Check out Black Eagle Deep Impacts. They're a micro diameter shaft with decent weight. You can get very good FOC if you use a heavy outsert with them. With your setup you'd probably need a .300 if you planned on having a lot of weight up front. I can guarantee you that almost every one of your shots will be pass throughs. They hit like a freight train. The only negative to the FMJ is that they will bend and that can hurt accuracy

Kris87

For deer, I like to build my arrows so I get the speed I want to hunt with. For me, that's a medium weight arrow in the 280-300fps range. I feel like arrows in that speed range are fairly forgiving, for both fixed and mechanical heads. With my setup, that allows me to shoot an arrow in the 420-440gr range, which is plenty heave enough for deer sized animals.

I'm shooting GT Velocity 300's with 20 gr of weight added to the back of a standard insert. I do this so I can shoot 125gr heads with that setup, or I build them with 50gr inserts and shoot 100gr heads, and have two different weight heads give me a shaft that weighs 5 gr difference.

There's tons of good shafts out there, that's the best part.

southerndraw

Talk with Jerry at south shore archery in riverview fl, He will build you the exact arrows you want and need. When I talked to him the first time he gave me a mini physics class on the arrow, quite interesting. He'll build them ship them and customer service is second to none. Look him up on archery talk...hitting the target at 20 and then hitting the target at 50 are 2 different things.

The Fever

For deer, I like to build my arrows so I get the speed I want to hunt with. For me, that's a medium weight arrow in the 280-300fps range. I feel like arrows in that speed range are fairly forgiving, for both fixed and mechanical heads. With my setup, that allows me to shoot an arrow in the 420-440gr range, which is plenty heave enough for deer sized animals.

I'm shooting GT Velocity 300's with 20 gr of weight added to the back of a standard insert. I do this so I can shoot 125gr heads with that setup, or I build them with 50gr inserts and shoot 100gr heads, and have two different weight heads give me a shaft that weighs 5 gr difference.

There's tons of good shafts out there, that's the best part.

Kris I think our logic is pretty close to the same. I'll check into what you're saying.

WildLines

Beman makes a nice arrow that will give you some weight.

I am going to start shooting Black Eagle Carnivores in my new bow. It will get me a 347gr arrow @ 308fps.

Kris87

Kris I think our logic is pretty close to the same. I'll check into what you're saying.

The easiest way to do it is to first figure out what spine you need. You probably need a 340 or 350, unless you're shooting a very fast bow, then a 300 might be needed. Then know what all the components that make up an arrow weigh. As a rule of thumb, this is what I go by:

Point(pick one) 100-125gr
insert 10gr
vanes (I use blazers 6gr each) 18gr
wrap 5gr
nock 10gr(lighted 20gr)
glue 5gr
shaft gpi X length of shaft
------------------------
= total weight

The Fever

The easiest way to do it is to first figure out what spine you need. You probably need a 340 or 350, unless you're shooting a very fast bow, then a 300 might be needed. Then know what all the components that make up an arrow weigh. As a rule of thumb, this is what I go by:

Point(pick one) 100-125gr
insert 10gr
vanes (I use blazers 6gr each) 18gr
wrap 5gr
nock 10gr(lighted 20gr)
glue 5gr
shaft gpi X length of shaft
------------------------
= total weight

I have an IBO of 330 and shooting a draw length of 28inches. I'm not certain where that comes out on the speed side of things.

Spanky1

Check out Black Eagle Deep Impacts. They're a micro diameter shaft with decent weight. You can get very good FOC if you use a heavy outsert with them. With your setup you'd probably need a .300 if you planned on having a lot of weight up front. I can guarantee you that almost every one of your shots will be pass throughs. They hit like a freight train. The only negative to the FMJ is that they will bend and that can hurt accuracy

I agree, I shoot Black Eagle's Rampage arrows with a 125 grain thunderhead and they hit like a truck.

I shoot gold tip kinectic kaos arrows with 165 grain bipolar broadhead hit like a frieght train but i love the arrows best ive shot so far

deast1988

I've shot fmJs for a long time no complaints. They heavy they hit hard. They were durable but if you hit a stiff surface they could bend. I shoot 400 spines and 100gr tips they quiet things down And were on the slower side but plenty of pass throughs.

Last few years I've been shooting maxima reds I like them but they are fragile compared to the FMJS. These are my opinions, Easton Injections were an awesome flying arrow that appeared to hit super hard but they were a one and down arrow. 3 deer all 3 deer were recovered with broken arrows.

MTBowHunter

This year I'm switching to the Element Typhoon. Slightly lighter than an FMJ, but stronger than anything else on the market. I shoot 70 lbs with a 28.5" draw length and I use a 350 spine with a 125gr head.

tbrown913

I dont plan on switching from my FMJ's unless they stop making them!

I cant tell you what spine arrow I have, but, at 28.5" length, and 64 pound draw, I am getting 305 fps with a 100 grain head. The guy who made my arrows did some math and figured that I had enough kinetic energy to get a pass through on a bull elk at 20 yards, something like 93 ft/lbs of energy. I use a rage 2 blade broadhead, and the only non pass through I have had went through the shoulder blade on the near side, and stuck in the joint between the shoulder blade and leg on the far side. That deer went about 60 feet and was dead. I have had a pass through on a medium sized doe where the entrance was where the brown hair and white hair meet at the rump, and the exit was the opposite front shoulder. It went nearly end to end and still stuck a couple inches in the dirt. (i flinched on the shot, and it was hard quartered away. still only ran about 80 yards)

The Fever

I dont plan on switching from my FMJ's unless they stop making them!

I cant tell you what spine arrow I have, but, at 28.5" length, and 64 pound draw, I am getting 305 fps with a 100 grain head. The guy who made my arrows did some math and figured that I had enough kinetic energy to get a pass through on a bull elk at 20 yards, something like 93 ft/lbs of energy. I use a rage 2 blade broadhead, and the only non pass through I have had went through the shoulder blade on the near side, and stuck in the joint between the shoulder blade and leg on the far side. That deer went about 60 feet and was dead. I have had a pass through on a medium sized doe where the entrance was where the brown hair and white hair meet at the rump, and the exit was the opposite front shoulder. It went nearly end to end and still stuck a couple inches in the dirt. (i flinched on the shot, and it was hard quartered away. still only ran about 80 yards)

I talked to too many people who testified to their pass through ability. Got 6 on the way!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I've been using gold tip kinetics for a few years now. I've been really impressed with them.

tescobedo

What weight are you trying to shoot?

I use Easton Hexx shafts w/ 50gr brass inserts, 125gr heads & total weight is 435gr.

Kris87

What weight are you trying to shoot?

I use Easton Hexx shafts w/ 50gr brass inserts, 125gr heads & total weight is 435gr.

That's nearly identical to my setup. A good blend of weight, and FOC. My favorite weight/setup so far.

tescobedo

Kris,

The straightness & consistency of the Hexx is often overlooked. I've been using them for 3 years & can't see myself changing.