New Fangled Crosman 760 let down...Update, I done went crazy!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well as more and more often seems to be the case nowadays, things just ain't like they used to be.

Growing up, I and most of my buddies ran the roads with a "10 pump" from Crosman or Daisy.

My Crosman was metal, had a brass bolt, and was PLENTY accurate with BBs or Pellets to effectively kill small game within about 25-30 yards.

Anything up to squirrels was in serious trouble. You name it, bird wise, I have killed and eaten it, most of the time cooked on a stick over a fire. From the age of 8 or 10 until smelling my first perfume, I was a bloodthirsty savage, running the woods and doing most of my killin' with the Crosman.

Real guns were for hunting season.

So I figured a couple Crosmans would be a good fit for The Grandboys, especially with the ammo situation being what it is.

RONG, RONG, RONG!!!

These things are the biggest pieces of junk I have ever seen. They won't shoot to the same place twice, and five pumps or ten you can't tell how hard the thing's gonna shoot.

Almost worthless, but they think they are cool, and the shortcomings of the new Crosmans bother me much more than them.

Anybody know of a GOOD kid sized air rifle?

I'd GLADLY go a C-note for a well working brass bolt Crosman 760 or two.

bighonkinjeep

The ones you got probably have the sleeved tube instead of the rifled steel barrel too. I had one that I gave to a local kid that the sleeve would move around inside the tube. It must have been a loose plastic bushing or something. I bought a crossman 2100 classic that seemed to have similar construction techniques but it would shoot the lights out and listed a few more FPS. I never thought I'd see the day, and have quite a few other air rifles, but good ones for a hondo are getting harder to find. I hope you find yourself somebody willing to help you find one of the classics.

Dr. Strangelove

Yep. I shot a friend's new version Red Ryder a year or so ago, it was a joke. I happen to have my 1980 or thereabouts Red Ryder out in the garage and picked it up and plinked a couple of shots out into the yard.

The thing had not been shot in probably 30yrs and still shot faster and farther than the new version my friend had.

Oh, and the Crossman 760? I waged many a BB gun war (3 pump limit, but we cheated) back in the day with that same air rifle.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
As a young kid, I owned a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, a Crosman 2200 Magnum, a Daisy air rifle (can't remember model), and one that looked like an M16. All were pretty accurate. My favorite of the bunch was the .22 cal 2200 magnum. That thing was a great shooting air rifle. I used to hunt squirrels with it, and had no problem with killing my daily limit of squirrels, when I went squirrel hunting. Eventually, all of them wore out and would no longer shoot. And I did shoot them a lot back then. I've actually been thinking about buying another 2200 magnum, but like you say, I don't think they make them like they used to.

Good luck finding the grandboys something worthy.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yep. I shot a friend's new version Red Ryder a year or so ago, it was a joke. I happen to have my 1980 or thereabouts Red Ryder out in the garage and picked it up and plinked a couple of shots out into the yard.

The thing had not been shot in probably 30yrs and still shot faster and farther than the new version my friend had.

Oh, and the Crossman 760? I waged many a BB gun war (3 pump limit, but we cheated) back in the day with that same air rifle.

I bleeve that 3 pumps was the Nationally Accepted Standard, and No Pellets since they are lead, which is poisonous, in case one "went in"...:bounce:

Lord, how did we manage to get grown?

tgc

RR,
Here’s another vote for the 2100 classic for the kids. About as close as you’re going to get for the price of the old 760. It will shoot but you can forget about the wood and brass furniture of the past. Easy to mount optics on.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As a young kid, I owned a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, a Crosman 2200 Magnum, a Daisy air rifle (can't remember model), and one that looked like an M16. All were pretty accurate. My favorite of the bunch was the .22 cal 2200 magnum. That thing was a great shooting air rifle. I used to hunt squirrels with it, and had no problem with killing my daily limit of squirrels, when I went squirrel hunting. Eventually, all of them wore out and would no longer shoot. And I did shoot them a lot back then. I've actually been thinking about buying another 2200 magnum, but like you say, I don't think they make them like they used to.

Good luck finding the grandboys something worthy.
The 2200 was the best air rifle I ever owned.

georgiabound

This is probably going to ruffle some feathers, but I think the air rifle/bb guns should not be manufactured. In years past they have probably made many a young lad come to think of a gun as a toy. Generations ago we were quick to turn our young boys out with them unsupervised. There has been a lot of kids suffer from this.

georgiabound

This is probably going to ruffle some feathers, but I think the air rifle/bb guns should not be manufactured. In years past they have probably made many a young lad come to think of a gun as a toy. Generations ago we were quick to turn our young boys out with them unsupervised. There has been a lot of kids suffer from this.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
RR,
Here’s another vote for the 2100 classic for the kids. About as close as you’re going to get for the price of the old 760. It will shoot but you can forget about the wood and brass furniture of the past. Easy to mount optics on.

That is the direction I am leaning...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it all comes down to how you train and supervise a new shooter/hunter of ANY age...Makes no difference if it's a Red Ryder, or an AR15.

My Grands are 8 and 5. They shoot each other with nerf guns and laser tag all the time.

If you asked them to shoot each other with their BB guns, they'd both tell you to pound sand 'cause BB guns ain't toys and Papa would kill us...

Last edited:

georgiabound

Railroader, I agree 100% with you. I know in my young adult years I saw a LOT of younger parents that DID NOT supervise their children with these bb guns.

treemanjohn

Banned
I bleeve that 3 pumps was the Nationally Accepted Standard, and No Pellets since they are lead, which is poisonous, in case one "went in"...:bounce:

Lord, how did we manage to get grown?
With eyeballs

I bought my children a gamo kids rifle. Its excellent and has a ton of power

transfixer

Railroader, I agree 100% with you. I know in my young adult years I saw a LOT of younger parents that DID NOT supervise their children with these bb guns.

In which case the fault lies solely on the parents,, blaming the object that is abused is typical Democrat anti-gun foolishness,, its not the bb guns fault it wasn't used correctly ,, its the parent or adults fault they weren't taught how and when to use it,, if you want to stretch out your way of thinking then cars shouldn't be manufactured anymore either ! They are mis-used on a daily basis, resulting in thousands of deaths annually

j_seph

Have any of y'all watched the air gun competitions on TV? Watched a few and whatever they were shooting I would love to have 1 of each one. They used external compressed air tanks. Pistols that were full auto, even shotguns.