New Hunter - Preparing Fields: Questions Concerning Feed, Salt/Mineral Blocks & Various Attractants

Firstly, thanks to everyone who was kind enough to provide insightful and very helpful information in response to my initial post on this forum, asking for guidance and support.

I am going to my buddies house to start preparing the areas surveyed by his three ground blinds. I do not believe he has any natural growing food plots in these areas presently. He does, however, have several feeders that I need to assist with installing. He plans to put corn in these feeders. He also has requested I purchase salt/mineral blocks and an item branded "Lucky Buck," which will be strewn upon the ground. I have some questions to help me prep the area as best as possible.

1 - Has anyone had success with "Lucky Buck?" I will get a bag because it is his property and I am learning from him, and that is what he has requested. But is there something better I should also get a bag or two of?

2 - He is suggesting I get about 3 of the 50 pound salt blocks sold at Tractor Supply for about $7 or so. As far as I can tell, these products are marketed to be used for cattle and other livestock. It seems to be mostly salt. I don't know if it has the other "minerals" found on the similar products marketed to deer hunters, such as "Trophy Rock." The "Trophy Rock" weighs about a 1/3rd as much as the Tractor Supply item, and it costs twice as much. So, I am certainly fine using the better value item, but am I missing out in terms of quality?

3 - My friend says the liquid deer attractants such as "Deer Cane," "Big J," etc. are complete wastes of money, marketing ploys to separate a fool from his money, and has discouraged me from buying them. Would the members of this forum suggest otherwise?

4 - What about the other types of urine/hormone attractants, such as "Tinks?" How are they best used and are they worth using?

5 - Will the different types of feed, minerals and various types of liquid attractants affect the taste of the meat, or will these products be such a small part of the deer's diet that it is inconsequential? For instance, if I could plant certain things in a food plot or dump a bucket of acorns by the blind/stand, would that make the deer meat taste sweeter or less gamy?

6 - Once these items are placed in the field, would I be scaring deer away for a week or so every time I went back into the hunting area to restock the feeders?

7 - I am hunting more for does for meat than bucks. If the products mentioned above such as "Tinks" and the liquid attractants, which are marketed primarily for bucks, work well and bring them into the area, would that possibly scare away does at a certain point of the season.

I am generally the type of person to overdo stuff and buy some of everything. I realize that may not be best for attracting deer.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
First off good luck to u , if u stick with hunting a few seasons you’ll soon find out that none of the stuff u mentioned is needed to kill deer, and I don’t think any of it will make them taste any different I’ve ate corn fed ones that were treated and fed like livestock and I’ve ate some that I’m sure have never seen a grain of corn and they were all delicious , but if u have a friend that’s letting u hunt I’d be more than willing to buy the few things he’s asked of u , I really like to plant food plots and usually do where I hunt and put out corn feeders and minerals , the same blocks u speak of from tractor supply , but mine are already almost gone by now , but none of this is really done to hunt over , but I do sometimes , I mostly do it so maybe the deer will like being on my property better than my neighbors , good luck and I really hope your buddy teaches or u just learn to hunt instead of killing , also I’d say in the right area u can put up a corn feeder and kill all the does u want , hope I answered a couple of your questions , good luck again !

buckpasser

I’d purchase whatever my friend requested because he’s the landowner. However, besides planting a food plot or two I don’t really value the rest of it. Salt, attractants, lure, etc. are certainly not necessary. Also, unless you plan to start baiting with something like ear corn or bag corn, you shouldn’t need to be going in there very often. As for the flavor of he meat, I’ve never killed a bad tasting deer. Some were from GA big woods and some were from the Midwest. The only difference I noticed was that the color of the Midwest venison was almost purple and maybe slightly less gamey. As for scaring deer with all these gadgets, yes it’s possible. First off, I put as much stock in Tinks or any other bottled lure as I do tobacco spit for bringing in any deer. Secondly, if you put out anything every time you go hunt, you are possibly allowing deer to pattern your actions, but I know many folks disagree with me on that.

nmurph

What has been said above is pretty much spot-on. It's too late in the year for salt blocks. They are a spring and early summer item used to help with bone growth. If you don't know, antlers are bone. Otherwise, learn to pattern the deer and figure out where they'll be. There's no need to put the corn out or any other attractant to kill a deer in Georgia. As a beginning hunter, you may spend a lot of time in the woods without seeing deer. It's just part of the learning process. Just learn to enjoy the time alone to think, declutter your brain, and enjoy nature. The more time you spend in the woods, the more likely you are to kill a deer and your knowledge and skill will increase with every hunt. Don't be discouraged. My personal motto with hunting is, cleanliness is next to Godliness. That, and learning to figure out where a deer is more likely to come from and being downwind from that location.

Jim Boyd

We can see you are an analytical guy.

Don’t overthink it - just have fun.

Overall, deer are relatively dumb and when you add the craziness of the rut - it often seems as though they are trying to fall on their own sword.

Relax, enjoy the woods and observe slowly and quietly. Mother Nature will speak to you and give you what you want.

Best of luck.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We can see you are an analytical guy.

Don’t overthink it - just have fun.

Overall, deer are relatively dumb and when you add the craziness of the rut - it often seems as though they are trying to fall on their own sword.

Relax, enjoy the woods and observe slowly and quietly. Mother Nature will speak to you and give you what you want.

Best of luck.

Sage advice from Jim here. In 50+ years I have seen both the deer and us the hunter do some really odd stuff.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I got to use some big and J when I hunt