New Mexico elk success

georgia_home

+1 upping the excitement. Starts on oct 22 here. Stoked!

Duff

Wow! What a bull!! Congratulations!!

georgia_home

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hunting on a working ranch (not a fenced operation, Lord NO) in NE New Mexico this week and punched my tag this morning in a big way. The rut is on at this time thanks to cooling temps following weeks of heat and dry conditions. In the 40’s and drizzly. This morning started out foggy, Misty and a little chill in the air. That’s all it took. Turned down a 6x6 early on that was gorgeous, but will be a stud next year. Called in another smaller bull later on. No go.

About 9:30 am we saw a group of cows hauling boogie about 50 yards away, with this guy bringing up the rear. A quick look showed he was impressive but they disappeared into a drainage/canyon in a flash. We rushed over to the rim and saw a few cows milling around……way down there he was rejoined with his girls at 350 lasered yards. He was standing there in thick cover but exposed himself for a minute or so. I held a little high on him (my 338 was shooting 8.3” low at that range), steadied myself and the rifle and let fly. He dropped right there. Climbing down the drain and UP the other side was a knee and lung wrecking challenge to say the least. From 9:30’ish until 2:00 PM we got him back up to the pig trail. This afternoon I was notified by certified B&C scorer’s at the ranch that my bull netted 354” B&C. I about fainted. Bull of two lifetime’s. The vitals of this hunt are as follows: 7x7 rack with heavy mass. Calculated live weight 900’ish. My 1968 Sako 338 Winchester Mag did the job loaded with Nosler 225 grain Accubond bullets. 75.0 grains of RL-19 powder .

Son Zack is hunting for a management bull with me. They called I six bulls the afternoon but none of them met the criteria to be considered management. We’ll be helping him out tomorrow in hopes Lady Luck gives him a big ol smooch. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 1258422

Great story and a giant to go with it!

deers2ward

Hunting on a working ranch (not a fenced operation, Lord NO) in NE New Mexico this week and punched my tag this morning in a big way. The rut is on at this time thanks to cooling temps following weeks of heat and dry conditions. In the 40’s and drizzly. This morning started out foggy, Misty and a little chill in the air. That’s all it took. Turned down a 6x6 early on that was gorgeous, but will be a stud next year. Called in another smaller bull later on. No go.

About 9:30 am we saw a group of cows hauling boogie about 50 yards away, with this guy bringing up the rear. A quick look showed he was impressive but they disappeared into a drainage/canyon in a flash. We rushed over to the rim and saw a few cows milling around……way down there he was rejoined with his girls at 350 lasered yards. He was standing there in thick cover but exposed himself for a minute or so. I held a little high on him (my 338 was shooting 8.3” low at that range), steadied myself and the rifle and let fly. He dropped right there. Climbing down the drain and UP the other side was a knee and lung wrecking challenge to say the least. From 9:30’ish until 2:00 PM we got him back up to the pig trail. This afternoon I was notified by certified B&C scorer’s at the ranch that my bull netted 354” B&C. I about fainted. Bull of two lifetime’s. The vitals of this hunt are as follows: 7x7 rack with heavy mass. Calculated live weight 900’ish. My 1968 Sako 338 Winchester Mag did the job loaded with Nosler 225 grain Accubond bullets. 75.0 grains of RL-19 powder .

Son Zack is hunting for a management bull with me. They called I six bulls the afternoon but none of them met the criteria to be considered management. We’ll be helping him out tomorrow in hopes Lady Luck gives him a big ol smooch. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 1258422
Congratulations! Love all that mass! What unit was this in? I'm trying to decide which unit to put in for next year. Seeing some hammer bulls going down this year both in NM as well as AZ

tjchurch

Congratulations what a stud.