New World Record Deer in Ohio

Kris87

If I knew I had shot the world record whitetail, you better believe I'd be working angles on the company's products that were involved. That's just good business and good marketing. They'd be approaching you anyways for the rights to advertise. No reason not to take advantage of it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If I knew I had shot the world record whitetail, you better believe I'd be working angles on the company's products that were involved. That's just good business and good marketing. They'd be approaching you anyways for the rights to advertise. No reason not to take advantage of it.
100%! I dunno the truth behind story, but it is truly an amazing whitetail deer! No shame in taking advantage when opportunity smacks you in the face…….kinda foolish not to imho.

James12

Hard to argue this, you could even call me a sellout. The way I see it is, it would probably afford me and my boys some guaranteed permission and more opportunities to hunt. Both of which are getting harder to come by for many.

James12

Any known updates here? Was thinking for a minute he must’ve shot it with a Mathews to be getting so much hate. But then saw it was with a crossbow, and he stands no chance now :)

Hillbilly stalker

Much like the old Beaty buck, that ol boy hit a lick. (y)

godogs57

A hundred grand potentially for a state record ? That’s a little on the low side really. Not that I’m into the antler buying/selling market at all. I know Cabelas is paying ridiculous prices lately.

A friend of mine killed the #3 all time 8 pointer this past year. Ungodly specimen. The amount they offered him would astound you. He didn’t take it, but did accept a deal for fiberglass reproductions to be made (by them) for use in multiple stores. Still a ton of $ was paid.

NWS

One axiom that I have found to be “generally” true is that the farther north one travels above the Mason-Dixon Line, the more “Gestapo” like the DNR is. Words can’t describe how much power the DNR in OH, IL, MI, WI & all these northern states have.

James12

If it turns out he killed this deer legally (which other than not having written permission from his own sister, that appears to be their case?), does anyone on the jealous State’s side face any backlash?

Jim Boyd

One axiom that I have found to be “generally” true is that the farther north one travels above the Mason-Dixon Line, the more “Gestapo” like the DNR is. Words can’t describe how much power the DNR in OH, IL, MI, WI & all these northern states have.

What is this opinion based on sir?

I have been hunting in Illinois for about 15 years and have never seen a game warden.

Even passing in a vehicle.

I have little doubt bad apples exist but I wonder if this is simply opinion or there is any data to drive it?

Thanks

cowhornedspike

I have been hunting in Illinois for about 15 years and have never seen a game warden.

I have little doubt bad apples exist but I wonder if this is simply opinion or there is any data to drive it?

Thanks
Never seen one in Illinois either...but I had to call the DNR office when I had accidently used the wrong tag on a doe and then later needed to tag a buck...the lady I spoke with fixed it asap and everyone was happy.

Jim Boyd

Never seen one in Illinois either...but I had to call the DNR office when I had accidently used the wrong tag on a doe and then later needed to tag a buck...the lady I spoke with fixed it asap and everyone was happy.

We have to call the dead deer in to DNR and they are quick and efficient there in Illinois.

You have to make some measurements in CM and last year, my measurement on one item (antler base) was out of range - meaning I measured it wrong or wrote it down wrong.

The agent said “that measurement is not possible” and I offered to remeasure and he just laughed and said “we got ya, congrats on the deer, sir”.

NWS

Thanks
I did not say game warden. Most game wardens up there are good folks and helpful. What I was referring to was the bureaucracy of the DNR’s up there which encompasses a whole heck of a lot more than just the game wardens. Speaking from experience in Wisconsin and Michigan their DNR’s are one huge bureaucracy full of layer upon layer of different overlapping compartments with sometimes woke political agendas. I would be willing to bet Illinois is the same way maybe even worse with the political & regulatory Chicago & Springfield agenda that drives Illinois state government. These different divisions and compartments have a lot of power that can issue excessive regulations, taxes, fees, etc. Try cutting down a few trees and clearing out a home building lot on a Wisconsin lake and see what I mean.

Gator89

Thanks

Never hunted IL, but I resided and hunted in WI.

At the time in WI, want to archery hunt, buy an archery tag. Want to gun hunt, buy a firearms tag.

Also, at one time you could not bow hunt during firearms season, but I think that changed.

I deer hunted in mostly Clark County. Now if I wanted to shoot a doe in Clark County, I had to purchase an additional tag that was good for the zone in which Clark County was in. But I had an acquaintance in Marathon County and he allowed me to hunt also. My doe permit for Clark was not valid in Marathon, so buy another tag.

Turkey season, you put in for a lottery for early season hunts, even if you have access to private property. Landowners get preference, never drew a tag for the first two weeks. So, I would buy leftovers. One tag good for one week, in a designated zone. So, if you have a Marathon county turkey tag, don't go to Clark County to get your turkey. Check to see if you can buy another leftover tag for Clark County.

Now granted I had some excellent turkey hunts in WI, killed three giant birds one year, as you could buy as many $10 leftover tags you wanted until the state's quota for that week was met.

So Southern hunting is simpler, buy your license, hunt with a bow or a firearm, your doe tags are valid statewide.

OBTW, WI expects hunters to wear that stupid "back tag".

Does IL require "back tags" on the hunters?

Last edited:

NWS

Never hunted IL, but I resided and hunted in WI.

At the time in WI, want to archery hunt, buy an archery tag. Want to gun hunt, buy a firearms tag.

Also, at one time you could not bow hunt during archery season, but I think that changed.

I deer hunted in mostly Clark County. Now if I wanted to shoot a doe in Clark County, I had to purchase an additional tag that was good for the zone in which Clark County was in. But I had an acquaintance in Marathon County and he allowed me to hunt also. My doe permit for Clark was not valid in Marathon, so buy another tag.

Turkey season, you put in for a lottery for early season hunts, even if you have access to private property. Landowners get preference, never drew a tag for the first two weeks. So, I would buy leftovers. One tag good for one week, in a designated zone. So, if you have a Marathon county turkey tag, don't go to Clark County to get your turkey. Check to see if you can buy another leftover tag for Clark County.

Now granted I had some excellent turkey hunts in WI, killed three giant birds one year, as you could buy as many $10 leftover tags you wanted until the state's quota for that week was met.

So Southern hunting is simpler, buy your license, hunt with a bow or a firearm, you doe tags are valid statewide.

OBTW, WI expects hunter to wear that stupid "back tag".

Does IL require "back tags" on the hunters?
Much simpler regs common sense regs here in GA and the South in general. I don’t think many turkey hunters in Georgia would be very happy if Georgia rolled out the same type of weekly lottery season and regulations on turkeys as they have in WI. Additionally, if Georgia implemented an “Earn-A-Buck” regulation like Wisconsin did there would be mass protest here at the capital.

buckpasser

Any word on the Alexander buck???

Gator89

Much simpler regs common sense regs here in GA and the South in general. I don’t think many turkey hunters in Georgia would be very happy if Georgia rolled out the same type of weekly lottery season and regulations on turkeys as they have in WI. Additionally, if Georgia implemented an “Earn-A-Buck” regulation like Wisconsin did there would be mass protest here at the capital.

Each "Period" requires a zone specific tag valid for only those dates.

1713463179699.png

1713463270123.png

Reactions: NWS

Gator89

GA shooting hours, 1/2 hour before sunset, 1/2 hour after sunset.

WI shooting hours, for the northern half of the state.

1713463825963.png