Newbie 101….first set of traps

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Ok, so I just got 3 Duke #1 3/4s. Good grief I’m just trying to set them! After getting the jaws opened far enough to set the dog, I’m faced with my first set of uncertainties……they may be dumb, but I cant find the answers and the traps didn’t come with directions. The plate has fall, before there is tension and then it keeps going down til it bottoms out. When I set the trap, should that first feather light fall be the trigger?. OR, should the plate have fallen to the tension before it goes off. If that fall sets it off, it’s a hair trigger, but a time or two it went off and wouldn’t hold it. It seemed as though the best test (moving the plate up and down) was when it was set, I lowered the plate to the tension without it going off. Then, it took some pressure, but not much, and very little travel to go bang! I’ve been using a piece of garden hose for my test foot. It seems they need to be tuned a bit. Mostly just adjusting the plate. I’ve got them boiling right now…..help me on my way please and thank you!
B

Last edited:

Doug B.

You will need to set your pan tension. To do that you either tighten or loosen the pan bolt. It depends on what your target animal is that determines what your pan tension needs to be. For coyotes I run my pan tension around 3 lbs. For mink and muskrat I don't want any pan tension.

I also like to night latch my traps. You don't have to night latch them, and some people don't. I do because I know it is set the same everytime and it will have a good clean crisp release when something steps on the pan.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@bfriendly ...

Welcome to trappin', man.

I have two seasons under my belt since I started, and I have had some pretty good success.

I about went blind for a week reading EVERYTHING I could find while waiting on my gear to arrive.

In the end, I found that this forum held plenty of info, and had guys that were happy to answer questions.

If you will go back to about March '21, you will find that I burned this place up with posts, and you will find kind and patient answers to a lotta dumb questions... ?

You will also see a complete rookie having some luck, and catching coyotes!

I only have a few things to suggest, and I say suggest because there are MANY methods that work. You have to find what YOU like, and develop your own rhythm...

1. Keep sets SIMPLE. This time of year is tough enough without gettin' crazy with complicated sets. A flat set on a clump of grass with two drops of urine is all it takes...

2. Bed them traps TIGHT! This is priority ONE!

3. Don't get discouraged.

4. Re-read 1 thru 3!

I hope the bug bites you, because if it does a whole new world of woods activity is in your future, and that first coyote will be every bit as good as your first deer, big fish, or even your first galfriend!!!

If you find any of my exploits here interesting, I will be glad to explain further and help you if I can.

Now, go pinch his foot!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Doug and railroader said it all. I second the night latch thing Doug mentioned. Makes the traps fire at the same point every time. Good luck. If you get into it you’ll have all kinds of people wanting you to come catch them
I saw the nite latch on a how to video and I see it’s advantages, but I think I’ll hold off on grinding anything for now. One thing, besides gloves, that helped me arm the trap was not worrying about the free arm. I’m gonna keep practicing arming the trap and catching my piece of hose for right now. Last thing I want is for it to NOT go bang when it should. I have some leather gloves, but may get another pair with reinforced palms…..this thing is no joke! Still having a hard time setting them. Action arm doesn’t seem to want to come down low enough on one of them to set the dog, but I can’t see a difference.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
What you trying to catch friendly ?
Same thing as you, but most importantly, NOT MY FINGERS! any tricks to setting them bad boys? Are you using the outside or middle area of your palms? I’ve always felt like I had big strong hands, but these things will test them for sure. I haven’t found the sweet spot yet.

furtaker

Make sure your pans are level when the traps are set. Factory Dukes are probably not level. If the pans are not level, you need to gently bend the pan post on the trap one way or the other, depending on how the pan is sitting. It's pretty difficult to explain this with words, so watching a good YouTube video will probably explain it better than I can on here. When the trap is set, you want there to be very little contact between the dog and the pan, and the pan to be level. The pan needs to have very little movement before the trap fires.

Pan tension is your friend. For coyotes, you want there to be a few pounds of pressure on the pan before the trap fires. This may sound counterintuitive but trust me on this.

When setting your traps, you can flip up the loose jaw and get your hand under it when adjusting the pan and you don't have to worry about getting your fingers caught.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. I'm no expert but we all learn a little more every season. There are some good folks on this site.

Most importantly, have fun. Trapping is very enjoyable and rewarding. I wish you the best of luck!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Same thing as you, but most importantly, NOT MY FINGERS! any tricks to setting them bad boys? Are you using the outside or middle area of your palms? I’ve always felt like I had big strong hands, but these things will test them for sure. I haven’t found the sweet spot yet.
I almost always use my feet . Just step on both sides and set it . Also they really don’t hurt that bad , it’s getting it opened back up with one hand in trap that’s tricky , especially after it’s anchored down

buckpasser

Good luck @bfriendly! I know you’ll get them figured out. I realize it seems wrong to file on those new traps, but you should really take the above advice and night latch. It will be huge. I didn’t see you answer on what your target critter(s) is/are.