Nice to be back in the Cypress Swamps again

Gadget

Well still in the WMA about to head out, was a very disappointing morning up until just a minute ago. I’ve hunted 5 different public lands in this area over many years. The Population is way down in all of them. On this particular public land area I’ve had to give up my old spots which haven’t had any birds in years and find new spots. Well heard nothing all morning except one long off gobble at daylight way off the property line. Went to checking my other spots, heard nothing and couldn’t find a single turkey track all morning, even in places that had sign the last few years. Gave up and started heading out with a great big nothing burger. Decided to try one of my old spots where I’ve killed a couple before but hadn’t found any birds in there in 5 plus years. Got out the truck, hit a note on my Halloran pot and boom a mature gobble fired back 100yrds away at 10am, I was like that evil Dr rubbing his hands together saying muahahaha slinking back into my truck. Now watch someone will be here in the morning….

Gadget

Dang came soooo close to running this guy over. Guess he would be a yellow rat snake but looks to be a hybrid. The full blooded yellow rats are much more yellow and don’t have the blotches, just the strips. Maybe crossed with a grey or black rat

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 30

Swamprat

Swamprat
Bird fires off 100 yards away and you left him?

Ain't no way, I would have to be late to whatever.

Hopefully nobody else heard him and you get back on him.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Gotcha, thought you was further South hunting like Big Cypress.

Good luck tomorrow, going to be a little warm. I am hoping the skeeters aren't too bad. Last few scouting trips for my quota hunt they haven't been terrible.....yet.

cracker4112

Good luck tomorrow gents. It gonna be hot, but I’ll be in the woods in the morning myself. I was surprised on the south zone opener that as wet as it is, the mosquitoes weren’t bad at all. ‍♂

Swamprat

Swamprat
Sometimes it seems if the water is moving the mosquitoes are not as bad but when it starts to dry up and get stagnant they are out in force.

Some of the sloughs I will be in tomorrow are starting to get cut off from the river.

Where I hunt in Georgia it will probably be nice and toasty when the season opens up and really, really toasty by the time public opens. I will be hunting both.

Gadget

Mosquitoes were unusually light here as well and no yellow flies, this place can be really bad with both

Hawken2222

Good Luck tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it shakes out.

Gadget

I was right grey rat mixed with yellow rat, they call it a eastern rat now but there was no such thing when I was growing up, they were yellow rats; and now they have the Everglades rat too which is just a darker phase yellow rat from the Everglades.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Almost go time and it starts to lightly rain where I am at.

Roosted a few yesterday evening but not sure which side of the river they are on.

Gadget

Got my spot where I found one yesterday, nobody tried to come in here, doesn’t surprise me too much, haven’t found a bird in here or heard of one in this area in over 5yrs, they used to be in here several years back when the population was good.
Found where someone has placed fresh corn, not here, another spot, gave the game warden the coordinates, he’ll be in there this morning

Swamprat

Swamprat
Well, he was on my side.

Gobbled once on the roost, waited several minutes and gave a yelp twice. He pitches down and within minutes am hearing drumming.

Got gun up, safety off waiting on him to come down the edge of the slough where it is open.

Nope…he pops out of the bushes 15 feet away and instantly knows something isn’t right. Starts to run and then flies across the slough. Haven’t got back on him yet

Only heard two gobbles all morning.

Gadget

No luck for me, heard one gobble at daylight way far off, couldn’t even tell what direction. Sat in there an hour then started moving to different spots. Only managed to find one single hen track all morning, in places that used to have lots of tracks just a few years ago.