Nickel plated brass

LittleDrummerBoy

Magnum is just a name. The 280 runs about the same pressures as the 7mag. So if it is a pressure thing, the 280 is a magnum also. :)

I've always considered magnum to be more about the powder capacity than the pressure. Most bolt actions in .223 Rem can be safely loaded to magnum pressures, but with the small powder capacity, it's not a magnum.

Considering the 30-06 family of cases (35 Whelen, 338-06, 30-06, .280 Rem, .270 Win, 6.5-06, 25-06, 6mm-06) at some point as you move down in caliber, the relative powder capacity begins to move into the "magnum" range in terms of velocities available with bullets of a given sectional density. But with magnum powder capacities and velocities, one also gets shortened barrel life. The 25-06 and 6mm-06 certainly seem to fit this description.

rosewood

I see your point, but at what point does the amount of powder become magnum? In other cartridges, you have the .22 mag, .32 mag, .357 mag and so on. A .223 has more powder than any of those. Yes, I know some of those are pistol cartridges. The 44 mag uses similar powder weights to the .223. There are 45-70 trap door loads that use 60 grains of powder and are still <than 16k PSI.

Me thinks Magnum is a sells gimmick. :)

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used to feel that way too

But just the difference in .30-06 and .300 Win of 250 fps could change your mind.. when comparing Federal factory loads with 180gr Partitions...by the way...the .300 Win load is in nickle cases.

rosewood

I used to feel that way too

But just the difference in .30-06 and .300 Win of 250 fps could change your mind.. when comparing Federal factory loads with 180gr Partitions...by the way...the .300 Win load is in nickle cases.

True dat. Weight of gun makes a big difference also. I have used nickel in some of the loads for the .300Win. Seems like all of my .338 WM are brass though.

Rosewood

rosewood

If recoil and blast is one determining factor, I can say definitely the .454 Casull is a Magnum for sure. I really hate developing loads for that thing. Rattles your teeth every time you shoot it.

Had a 15" 460 Magnum barrel for my Encore. Finally sold it because it didn't shoot groups like the 12" 44mag barrel did and was very unpleasant to shoot. Great for hunting, but no fun developing loads or plinking for me.

Rosewood

rosewood

Just a few Nickle plates cartridges I use ....

Let's see if I can get this.

.270 WSM, .270 Win, .243, .357mag, .357mag, .357 sig, .380, 22LR?

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
Briar.. I like those old manuals in the back ground...your next career going to be photography?

.270 WSM, .270 Win, .243, .357mag, .357mag, .357 sig, .380, 22LR?

I wouldn't bet against that...might be a 9 for the .380 tho

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
Saweet!...Something else we have in common...when I moved to GA i sold my Darkroom equipment...I still have an F3HP...slight brassing...I should sell it

rosewood

You got right...supposed to be a .38 Special ....I looked and had picked two .357... the round nose was supposed to be .38 .... ....little one is a Stinger
Yeah, I wondered why you had 2 .357s. Should have caught it was a stinger. That may be the only nickel plated .22LR I have seen, but didn't occur to me until you pointed it out.

Pictures can be distorted sometimes. The yellow tip gave me scale, figured it was a .277 so the 2nd one was the same. Then I worked off that. :)

Rosewood

BriarPatch99

Yeah, I wondered why you had 2 .357s. Should have caught it was a stinger. That may be the only nickel plated .22LR I have seen, but didn't occur to me until you pointed it out.

Pictures can be distorted sometimes. The yellow tip gave me scale, figured it was a .277 so the 2nd one was the same. Then I worked off that. :)

Rosewood

The Yellow tip is a .277 130 grain Ballistic Tip(WSM), the white is a .277 140 grain Accubond(.270 Winchester), the purple tip is a 95 grain BT(.243 Win), the first .357 mag is a cast Lyman 158 grain ... the second .357 mag is a factory lead (RP), the 357 SIG is loaded with a Hornady 124 grain XTP, the .380 ACP is loaded with a 90 grain T.J.Coveria 90 grain(no idea who really makes it)....

All reloads except the one .357 mag and the CCI Stinger....

Darkhorse

I would like to know the real facts of the Combined Technology bullets. I have made a number of phone calls to bullet engineers over the years, mostly when working up an elk load for a western hunt. So I was talking to an engineer from Nosler and happened to ask about the CT bullets. I was surprised at the anger in his voice when he spoke of the CT bullet deal, sorta implied Winchester got the better of the deal. It was obvious that wasn't a happy partnership.
I've only loaded the 150 grain 7mm CTBT bullets. I was working up some loads using IMR4350 and around 60 to 61 grains I was getting groups a little under and over 1/2 minute of angle. But at 63 grains (max. on the Nosler online loading data) the groups spread to close to 2", no matter what I tried I couldn't bring it in. So I bought a box of 150 grain 7mm CTBT bullets. These bullets cut the group to .625".
For some reason the standard ballistic tips were losing stability at that powder level while the coated bullets were not. So that's something to remember. I might have figured it out if the loads were chrono'd, but they weren't.
As for the nickel cases, I load them for practice until I find a crack. I don't use them for hunting. But I do want a factory self defense load with nickel cases.

BriarPatch99

My understanding about the Winchester CT or really the Accubond CT....is it is just a Nosler Accubond bullet that Winchester applies the Lubalox coating to.... Nosler changes the tip color for Winchester.

I think the Lubalox will allow a little more velocity without getting into the "over pressure zone" ..... But the bullet killing effect belongs to the design of the Accubond bullet .... the coating has no effect once the bullet is out the barrel.

Kinda like two kids on a science team ....one does all the work .....the other sticks a label on the work and claims all the glory when they win ....

Just my opinion....

Last edited: