Nickel plated brass

Darkhorse

Briarpatch, That's the way I figured it too.
The CTBT Combined Technology Ballistic Tip is a true Nosler Ballistic tip with the Winchester applied coating. It is not the old silvertip, it is a true Nosler bullet.
Neither is it an Accubond. The accubond is a totally different bullet with the jacket being bonded to the core.
These are both Nosler bullets, the old Silvertips I remember were Winchester bullets
After a couple of kills with Hornady's SST that is real close to the Ballistic Tip, I am going back to a bonded bullet, either the Nosler Accubond or the Hornady Interbond.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm not sure that is correct
Thay are using Accubond LR for Winchester loads now.
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Expedition-Big-Game

this if from the link above from nosler
What is the difference between the Ballistic Tip® and the Combined Technology® Ballistic Silvertip® (CTBST)?

Structurally, they are the same bullet. The only difference between the two is that the CTBST has a silver colored tip and a black, Winchester® Lubalox® coating on the exterior of the bullet. Lubalox® is an oxide based coating which reduces fouling and allows for more firings between barrel cleanings. It does not reduce friction to the point where loads may be increased, nor does it build up in the barrel as Moly coatings do. Lubalox® does not leave residue nor create a coating on the bore. Normal cleaning procedures should be used with CTBSTs.

BriarPatch99

Some of the Winchester loads are using the Nosler Accubond bullets coated in Lubalox ... Winchester is calling the bullet ....Accubond CT. The only ones I have seen with my eyes were Red Tipped with the black coating .... in Nickel plated brass ...they were 140 grain .270 WSM

The CTBST were nothing but a Nosler Ballistic tip coated with the Lubalox and a Sliver Colored tip ....

So apparently they are now using both type Nosler Ballistic Tip and Accubond .... next week they may change flavors ...

I could be wrong about the pressure allowance of Lubalox ... but if not .....any time you keep copper or fouling from building up ....you are indirectly keeping pressure down ....

The Original Silver Tip... from way way back had an (I did some research) Tin Plated Tip ...right?

Last edited:

280 Man

Banned
Ive used/loaded Nosler bullets in some shape form or fashion for many many years and I personally dont understand the "extra" cost for the CTBT's. That black Lubalox coating must be pricey to apply!

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Accubond CT are primarily magnum loads with the exceptions of .270 Win and .30-06

The Original Silver Tip... from way way back had an (I did some research) Tin Plated Tip ...right?
dunno...only ones I have seen or used were polymer

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

The Accubond CT are primarily magnum loads with the exceptions of .270 Win and .30-06

dunno...only ones I have seen or used were polymer

The WAY WAY back Sliver tip were a tin plated lead tip ... to the best my knowledge .... it was the very first Winchester attempt at a tipped bullet other than plain lead ,,,

Look at these ....
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865174458

If I find a photo of an actual bullet ...I'll post it .... they almost looked like an aluminum tip ... but was Tin plated

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Darkhorse

Those are the ones I remember. I don't really know anything about them, I wasn't yet shooting a firearm they loaded Silvertips for. But they had a good reputation though and us young, up and coming mighty hunters talked about them like we knew something. We didn't.
When I finally got a centerfire my late older cousin immediately steered me into handoading. I didn't hunt with a factory round for decades. When I got a new rifle I'd buy 100 rounds so I'd have some brass to start off with. Brass was hard to come by before the internet.
I'm always looking for a better bullet for hunting that's why I was trying out those Nosler bullets. But the best bullet I've used was the plain old Hornady Interlock. I've taken deer with a 22-250, .243, 30-'06, 30-30, 35 Remington, 7mm Mauser, 7mm Rem. Mag, .300 Win Mag and probably a couple more I don't remember. All with the interlock with never a bullet failure. Last few years though I've been shooting (and hunting) with factory loads in my .308 using the Hornady 150 Interbond and 150 SST. I really like the Interbond but dislike the SST.
I'm familiar with the performance of the Interlocks so maybe I just need to start loading those and quit experimenting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
SST is an Interlock with a polymer tip :D

yeah those are old...now that you have shown them to me I remember vaguely...I just remember the Lubalox versions of late more

Darkhorse

That polymer tip is driven back into the lead core causing quicker disruption and expansion. Based on observation of my own shots on game, sometimes that expansion is violent, occasionally it hardly expands at all. That is what I don't like about that bullet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That is pretty much my same experiance. I use the SP exclusively in my .25-06 and I keep them for .270 but only played on paper...I have to believe they will be as devastating on game as they are in my .25-06

BriarPatch99

We all know bullets evolve over time ....I used get scolded good by some older hunters because I reloaded the 120 grain Hornady Hollow Point for deer(they were designed for deer type game) .... some on here even yelp about "hollow point" for deer ... What they don't know is like Dark horse said ....the tipped bullets are nothing but hollow point bullets with the tip in the hollow ....do folks think that tiny piece of plastic is what kills a deer ......no it ain't it is the hollow point bullet that the tip opens that expand .....does damage ....kills the deer...

Evolve also includes bullet jackets ....take the Nosler Ballistic Tip ....it was the "cool" bullet for while until folks figure out if was expanding TOO fast .... Nosler came back and tapered the jacket a little heavier and called it a "Hunting Ballistic Tip" ....they basically took that jacket " bonded" the lead to the jacket and call it a Accubond..

All the bullet makers do likewise ....some use mechanical locks "Interloc" ....they change the alloy in the lead ....they put two different alloys in the same bullet.....

Sierra use a blunt section of alloy in their Game King Hollow points .....folks go "botch" crazy if you mention using a Sierra Game King Hollow Point for deer .. a bullet that is a tougher bullet than their favored "tipped" bullet !!!

Did I say ....bullets evolve .... The "Sliver Tip" has as we all know .....

280 Man

Banned
The WAY WAY back Sliver tip were a tin plated lead tip ... to the best my knowledge .... it was the very first attempt at a tipped bullet other than plain lead ,,,

Look at these ....
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865174458

If I find a photo of an actual bullet ...I'll post it .... they almost looked like an aluminum tip ... but was Tin plated

Do you have a time frame on this? Remington had the Bronze point as early as the 1920's