Nicodemus:snakes

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
So where in GA do you find eastern diamonbacks? I have only seen timber rattlers.

They`re in the the lower part of the state. They prefer sandy country which they share with gopher tortoises. I think that the population is dwindlin` too. I don`t see near as many diamonds now, as I used too.

Cottonmouths, copperheads, and canebrake-timber rattlers all have their moments, but nothin` will get your attention like a big diamond back when it is in a fightin` coil. And I mean nothin`!! :D

Nugefan

Cottonmouths, copperheads, and canebrake-timber rattlers all have their moments, but nothin` will get your attention like a big diamond back when it is in a fightin` coil. And I mean nothin`!! :D

I'll bet The Redhead wit a stick would git yer attention ....;)

dang it , those are some huge snakes ....:cheers:

boparks

I've seen a few 5' long but none quite like those.

Since we're talking rattlesnakes, these are photos someone sent me that was going around in an email.I can't remember where this was supposed to be. I believe they were cleaning out an old cellar or something and found diamonds

Attachments

• Snake 1.jpg
    Snake 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3,608
  • Snake 2.jpg
    Snake 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3,641
  • Snake 3.jpg
    Snake 3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 3,619

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Bobby, those are western diamondbacks. Pile of em!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It is a pile Nick.

This is the kind of stuff that causes bad dreams

Let em see if I can`t find some old pics of mine, from the past. I have one that will really send chills all over you. And I`m the idjit that took the pic. :D

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
They`re in the the lower part of the state. They prefer sandy country which they share with gopher tortoises. I think that the population is dwindlin` too. I don`t see near as many diamonds now, as I used too.

There was a 6 footer in the road at Benning today. Big rascal.

Back to the topic: Nice rattlers, good eating right there!!!

carver

dawg,you didn't stop and get a snack to go?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
dawg,you didn't stop and get a snack to go?

I was called about it and said I was on the way. About the time I was heading that way it took off into the grass. Lucky rascal

Nothing like hearing the distinctive rattle, especially when you cannot locate the source..... right away..... I mean you know it's there, but you can't see it at first. My cousin got his first bite when we were turkey huntin'. Stepped right on it and it bit him in the calf. He lived; only because we were so close to the road and the hospital, but he still has nerve damage. Geez, I hate snakes, and I hate rattlers. But they sure as heck ain't gonna keep me from the woods.

crbrumbelow

There are a few in Heard County. I killed one about 18 years ago in an old hay barn that was on some property right on Centralhatchee Creek. Wish I still had that skin and rattles.

carver

Let em see if I can`t find some old pics of mine, from the past. I have one that will really send chills all over you. And I`m the idjit that took the pic. :D

Nick,Lets see those pics. please!

Killdee

There are definitely diamonds on the Talbot/ Taylor line, we killed 2 there in the late 70s. Heres a Talbot county diamond, it is on the edge of the start of the sand type land just north of Butler. This snake was 5-1/2 feet long and had a head big as my fist. Fella holding it is 6' 250lb.

Attachments

• diamondbackrsz.jpg
    diamondbackrsz.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,909

HALOJmpr

Nic .. is this your pic you're talking about??? This thing almost scares ya to look at :eek::eek::eek:

If you have a larger full res version I'd love to have it!!!

Attachments

• Rattler.jpg
    Rattler.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,853

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nic .. is this your pic you're talking about??? This thing almost scares ya to look at :eek::eek::eek:

If you have a larger full res version I'd love to have it!!!

Nope, that ain`t it. That snake was only 5 feet long. I did almost pay the price for that pic though. I know better, but almost got too close to get that pic. Like to took a bite to the face for my trouble.

You`re welcome to use this pic if you like.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wouldn't discount anything about Heard County. That is, and always has been a strange place. Remember Mahalley Lancaster! I've seen eastern diamond back rattlers on Rockridge personally and I've also seen blue lights at midnight on the dirt road in front of Noahie Daniels' store at hwy's 100 and 54. I've also heard some mind numbing screams by the Indian Mounds on New River .

aniwayah

I am in heard county and have never seen a rattler here but there are lots of stories about big ones years ago. And I have heard the screams also. Cant explain but wicked all the same.