Nicodemus:snakes

Bow Only

I was hunting Sapelo Island once and a guy killed an Eastern that weighed 18 lb. My mom killed one once that was 6'3" long, but that one from Sapelo dwarfed it. I'm not scared of snakes but that one was scary. A strike would have knocked you down.

On a funny note, the smallest deer killed field dressed 22lb. :rofl:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I was hunting Sapelo Island once and a guy killed an Eastern that weighed 18 lb. My mom killed one once that was 6'3" long, but that one from Sapelo dwarfed it. I'm not scared of snakes but that one was scary. A strike would have knocked you down.

On a funny note, the smallest deer killed field dressed 22lb. :rofl:

I will always wonder what my 7 foot, 7 inch long (includin` a string of rattles) diamondback weighed. I wish I had put that one on a set of scales.

MathewsHunter1

A friend of mine shot a big Eastern on Ft. Stewart while retrieving a downed dove in a brush pile. As he was picking it up there was another in there that hit him on the back of his "lucky" snake boot. He said it felt like someone hitting you as hard as they can with a Wiffle-Ball Bat. He turned around and shot it too. I will try to find the picture of them stretched across the hood of his truck.

Ft. Stewart is full of Easterns, Canebrakes, and some of the biggest Cottonmouths you've ever seen. I almost stepped on an Eastern and a huge Cottonmouth while hunting there myself. Another time I walked up on a Canebrake with a squirrel swallowed up to its shoulders.

Last edited:

carver

post those pictures if you can find them we would like to see them.

mformica

I hate snakes. Never seen a rattlesnake in person, but I'm going to Western OKlahoma in September and suspect I'll run across a ton.

What's the deal with the heads. I have always heard they can still bite after their dead, and in the one picture all the heads are chopped off.

Is it possible to keep the snake with the head on for mounting purposes? Is the head always dangerous, or will it stop posing a risk after a certain amount of time?

carver

I would think it you were to stick yourself with a fang you could get some of the venom.I don't think venom go's bad!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
When I was in the National Guard in LaGrange(Troup Co.) we had a member bring in a big Eastern that he killed that morning, still bleeding at 7am. Don't remember where it was killed but was not from SGA. I have dispatched 13 timber rattlers in the last twelve years within 5 miles of the house. Most within sight of the house. I lost count of the copperheads. I live in snake country for sure. If you hunt Heard county north of the Hooch,you better wear ya snake boots!:hair:

carver

There have been a number of BIG snakes killed on our Heard county land,and I always have my snake boots on!

carver

Well now I wont be able to get to sleep for sure

Watch where you step in your dreams!! :hair: Furious, I've killed some big timber rattlers in Fannin myself,I have a cabin in the Aska adventure area,off old dial road.

Last edited:

carver

When I was in the National Guard in LaGrange(Troup Co.) we had a member bring in a big Eastern that he killed that morning, still bleeding at 7am. Don't remember where it was killed but was not from SGA. I have dispatched 13 timber rattlers in the last twelve years within 5 miles of the house. Most within sight of the house. I lost count of the copperheads. I live in snake country for sure. If you hunt Heard county north of the Hooch,you better wear ya snake boots!:hair:

You bet Paymaster,Heard sure has its share of snakes!May even have a bigfoot or two.I've seen some big deer come out of that county for sure. Jerry

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Heard County has always been sort of an anomaly. It's the largest county in the state and at one time it was the poorest. The topography is very diverse from the hills in the northwest to the plains in the northeast to the river valleys in the south. In the old days it was sort of the "Wild West" of Georgia. I grew up hunting, fishing, and farming there even though we lived in Troup County. It was always a mysterious place to me and sometimes down right scary. The people who lived there in my youth were mostly decendents of The Creek Indian nation and spoke in a decidedly different dialect. They were especially well versed in the woodsman and primitive skills of their ancestors.

carver

Heard County has always been sort of an anomaly. It's the largest county in the state and at one time it was the poorest. The topography is very diverse from the hills in the northwest to the plains in the northeast to the river valleys in the south. In the old days it was sort of the "Wild West" of Georgia. I grew up hunting, fishing, and farming there even though we lived in Troup County. It was always a mysterious place to me and sometimes down right scary. The people who lived there in my youth were mostly decendents of The Creek Indian nation and spoke in a decidedly different dialect. They were especially well versed in the woodsman and primitive skills of their ancestors.

Dave you are so right,and a load of bad weather comes right thru Heard from Alabama and I mean BAD!!!

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten

Thanks for telling me now.:D