Nikon D300

carolinagreenhead

I have an opportunity to buy a used, in great condition, D300. The asking price is $350 for the camera body. I think he's got a small lens and other accessories that up the price to $650. The camera is a couple years old I think and I know the owner takes good care of his stuff. Is this a good price for this setup?

Hoss

I'd do some comparison shopping on ebay or maybe KEH to see what they are going for. I'll let some of our resident Nikon folks advise you on the price.

Hoss

cre8foru

It sounds really good to me for the body. Id check the number of (shots taken)actuations on it. Not sure about the lens or other accessories.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
The camera was released in 2007 Info on Wiki page

Not sure how serious you are with photography, but if you're going to buy that lens he has or a new one, you're going to be spending at least $650. Personally, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would look around for something else that is newer and would even buy new to get the warranty. The camera he has for sell may very well be in fine working condition, but you really don't know. Do yourself some research on the latest DSLRs and find some reviews on the cameras you're interested in. Look up camera review sites and don't forget to check youtube for video reviews on cameras as well.

Just to give you an idea of what's out there, check here (Cameras). I've even sorted them from lowest price to highest. There are some pretty nice cameras under a grand. Of course, if you're wanting a very high-quality lens, you'll certainly have to spend a good bit more on the set-up.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :cheers:

carolinagreenhead

I appreciate the advise guys. I have been researching this camera and it has excellent reviews, even though it is what's considered "old". The lens I mentioned it a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. It has good reviews as well. The accessories are the battery pack body extension, w/ spare battery. I'm new to the DSLR world so for the money I'm thinking this might ba a good fit for me, despite the "old" technology. I would like your opinions still. Thanks.