No doubt Saban saw writing on the wall

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Disagree about the free education. That’s such a farce. Most of them don’t belong at a college in the first place and can’t do the work without being out in a really easy major and even then they get help most students don’t. People can have the college football they say they want. Student athletes and all that. But they don’t really want it.
True, most of them aren't working on their Phd.
I have to admire the lower division players who aren't there on athletic scholarships, because there aren't any. They play because they love it. But, let me tell you a story that you'll like.

My wife has been in college admissions for almost 30 years now. She's mostly worked at smaller colleges that are in NCAA division III where there are no athletic scholarships. I cannot tell you how many times she's had to attend baseball, lacrosse, softball, soccer, and other sport signings for student athletes who've won academic scholarships because mommy and daddy want everyone to know that their baby is going to be playing a sport at college. Quite a few parents have tried to make it appear as if their child is attending on an athletic scholarship instead of an academic scholarship. My wife is required to get up and speak and say that it's an academic scholarship so that there's no chance of violating any rules.

You'd think those parents would be more proud that their child is smart enough to get an academic scholarship but they act as if mentioning it is an insult. I just don't understand this world sometimes...

Last edited:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
So kids shouldn't show emotions when they lose a game that would have put them in the National Championship?

What's worse? Throwing a helmet and showing your fanny after a OT loss or getting blown out in a Bowl Game and just completely give up and stop playing?

Because when FSU did that alot of yall were on here gloating about it...Seems to me alot of folks in here would rather have players just quit playing rather than show emotions. They still kids and they still have alot of maturing to do
It wasn’t just the emotions after that game. The culture has shifted. Saban and most other college coach’s took/take great pride in developing these kids on AND off the field. There’s no connection between the players and coach’s anymore.

Lindseys Grandpa

Bottom line the new way of doing stuff is slowing ruining almost everything we hold dear . Now it's Collage Footballs turn .
The only way I see to fix it is make a scholarship offer and acceptance a 3 year contract and the only team that athlete can play for unless the Head Coach or Coordinator who recriuted them leaves .

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Every position on the Alabama team is crucial to field a team that is worth 100s of million of dollars. Every position is critical (Ask Saban or Kirby or any coach) Just like the NFL. Yes the star QB may be worth more, but that doesn't mean the 3rd team guard is not worth big bucks. It's not their value to the NFL, it's their value to the Crimson Tide program.
Of course all positions matter to a team, but the University of Alabama isn't paying these players. That's still against NCAA rules. Businesses outside the college are making NIL contracts with players and some of these players will never be starters or spend much time on the field at all, so they won't make much, if any, NIL money.
The love and jealousy of money will destroy team cohesion and respect for the coaches. It takes a team sport and makes it all about individual players. That doesn't happen in the pros as much because everyone is already getting paid pretty well. I think that's what Saban is alluding to. Instead of players focusing on contributing to the team's success, they only care about their own playing time so that they'll get bigger NIL contracts.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Was wondering when somebody else was gonna read that far into the article. "I gots to gets minez". I'd say approximately 30 percent of recruits pan out to be starters /nfl prospects.
Somewhere between 1.5-2% of all NCAA football players make it to the pros and less than .5% are on opening day rosters.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
So kids shouldn't show emotions when they lose a game that would have put them in the National Championship?

What's worse? Throwing a helmet and showing your fanny after a OT loss or getting blown out in a Bowl Game and just completely give up and stop playing?

Because when FSU did that alot of yall were on here gloating about it...Seems to me alot of folks in here would rather have players just quit playing rather than show emotions. They still kids and they still have alot of maturing to do
Maybe the good coaches are teaching these kids to be respectful of their job and boss, because eventually 90 something percent of them will be required to act like regular people doing regular things in every day life. Get mad on your next job and throw a computer, or hard hat, or tool, or the fry and burger spatula, you gonna be in trouble.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Instead of players focusing on contributing to the team's success, they only care about their own playing time so that they'll get bigger NIL contracts.
They all want to be opera singers - "Me Me Me Me".

ATLFalconsfan80

Maybe the good coaches are teaching these kids to be respectful of their job and boss, because eventually 90 something percent of them will be required to act like regular people doing regular things in every day life. Get mad on your next job and throw a computer, or hard hat, or tool, or the fry and burger spatula, you gonna be in trouble.

200w.gif

AccUbonD

Funny how these coaches act before like it was ok to give money and cars away even though most knew what was going on. Where was Saban’s morals and ethics then?