No public access to public land NF.

kgarrison

I found a piece of NF land I was interested in hunting. Got looking at the map for access and found it was completely surrounded by private land. Called the NF office and the said that I was correct that there was no public access to that particular peice of NF. What the heck....we pay taxes to upkeep and buy NF land and We don't even have access to it.

Guess I'll be knocking on doors hoping someone will allow me to pass through their private land to get to NF. :hammers:

PappyHoel

I have a friend that lives there in blairsville. She lets me access it, none of her neighbors do allow hunters through. You have to find one that will let you. Most folks up there think they have pet deer, turkey and bears.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Its happens everywhere. Lots of grid squares that way out west. Its a bunch of crap!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
This is the kind of land some of us were saying should be sold.

::gone:

swamp hunter

One of my hunting Pards has 400 acres leased right up against Alabama State land. Only access for a dang long ways..works good for him.
And Yes..The property border folks have their own free lease.
Just cause you can't get to it...don't think it ain't being hunted...

mstersmith

Its happens everywhere. Lots of grid squares that way out west. Its a bunch of crap!

It is illegal in Ca to block access to public land. I used to go out of my way and have a sheriffs deputy meet me at the gate just to prove my point. Killed a lot of good game that way. Surprised it is legal for land owners to block access here in Ga.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No need to be surprised. CA is a liberal place where the respect for private property is minimal. GA not so much.

critterslayer

That's one of the best pieces of public to find. And usually it's one of the easier ones in the mountains Because you don't have to walk as far. As for access, you might just have to accept there isn't any and just let the fortunate people that do have connections keep it as their own honey holes. Sometimes you can find access you didn't know existed, such as it bordering a public road.

williamt

Go to the local Hall of records and look up surrounding Plats there may be an access easement that locals don't talk about.

Big7

The Oracle
No need to be surprised. CA is a liberal place where the respect for private property is minimal. GA not so much.

Gub*ment land should not be land locked.

What's the problem with giving easements to land
that is paid for in TAXES?

Sounds like a croc of Schlitz Malt Liquor to me. :D

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The holding of land locked property would be a problem created by politicians.
The problem should be addressed at its source and not by requiring a private landowner to permit the public to use his private property.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I believe if theres an easement you can not block access. If there is no easement then the property owner has the right to say who can cross his property.

I don't blame the property owner. Its just one of those things in the system that is not right.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The holding of land locked property would be a problem created by politicians.
The problem should be addressed at its source and not by requiring a private landowner to permit the public to use his private property.

And then there's ^^this^^.. Some folks might change their tune if it was their land that was given access away to the public to be on..

Possum

Banned
Gub*ment land should not be land locked.

What's the problem with giving easements to land
that is paid for in TAXES?

Sounds like a croc of Schlitz Malt Liquor to me. :D

What should then happen? Eminent domain some guys land so people can have easier hunting access? Land-locked national forest in GA is very rare, there is still 99.9% that you can access. I border a hard to access area of national forest and have let people through my land to get deer out, retrieve coon dogs, etc. if you want to hunt it just knock on a few doors and I’m sure someone will let you through as long as you aren’t a toothless, drunk, ex-convict looking guy.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
What should then happen? Eminent domain some guys land so people can have easier hunting access? Land-locked national forest in GA is very rare, there is still 99.9% that you can access. I border a hard to access area of national forest and have let people through my land to get deer out, retrieve coon dogs, etc. if you want to hunt it just knock on a few doors and I’m sure someone will let you through as long as you aren’t a toothless, drunk, ex-convict looking guy.

Dang. I guess I shouldn't knock then

Possum

Banned
Dang. I guess I shouldn't knock then

You can knock but they won’t answer. Just buy a green truck and dress like a forest ranger. Put a decal on truck that says DHF (department of hunting and fishing) Then you can go right through their land and they won’t mind. If they ask what you are doing just say you have to inventory the deer herd and you may have to collect a sample or two.

Last edited:

Latest posts