No till drill recommendations

JoeyWommack

I am trying to make my peace with buying a drill. I have no experience with them whatsoever. If I want to plant and not erode my place, this is about my only option.
I dont want to buy junk but dont want to drop +$30k on a Land Pride, Deere, etc. Which seems to point toward the RTP Genesis. I am looking at the 5 in particular. I have read reviews watched Youtube, etc, but have not actually spoken to anyone that owns one or used one. Is the Genesis 5 worth the money? Any complaints from actual users?
I have a Kubota MX6000 which the Genesis seems to be just outside the 3-point limits. So that will leave me buying the hydraulic lift tow version.

Thanks

Triple C

If you're not planting dozens of acres have you considered one of the "one-pass" seeders like a Woods Seeder or a Firmanator?

I plant 15 acres and use the 8 ft Firminator. @davidhelmly has been running a Woods Seeder for several years now. Both do a great job with very minimal soil disturbance.

Disc harrow, seeder and cultipacker all in one unit.

JoeyWommack

I had originally considered a Firminator. I am not opposed to that option but my big draw back is my land is hilly and sandy. I am in a war with erosion in some places. I am afraid that opening up the soil will make it worse.

Triple C

I had originally considered a Firminator. I am not opposed to that option but my big draw back is my land is hilly and sandy. I am in a war with erosion in some places. I am afraid that opening up the soil will make it worse.
Understood. My plots are all mostly level. We don't even spray anymore before planting. Just mow and run the Firminator.

Never met anyone that bought a drill that regreted it. If you go that route, post up some pics.

We planted last weekend but I didn't take any pics. Here's a pic from planting a small plot last year with the Firminator.
2950B93C-0AED-4961-ACAB-EED7D2CDC1A7.jpeg
5F1A2EEA-DEB7-437E-A2A6-3F3213D36067.jpeg
89ED8935-77DF-45C9-ABB3-48350E9D85FA.jpeg

ddavis1120

Definitely not trying to talk you out of getting a no till drill but your water district may have one for rent that you could try before you buy. They normally aren't in the greatest of shape but it would give you an idea if it is the right tool for your job before spending tens of thousands.

JoeyWommack

Take a look at the Tar River no till drills. Much more affordable.
I keep hearing they are junk and they are still close to $6k.

Definitely not trying to talk you out of getting a no till drill but your water district may have one for rent that you could try before you buy. They normally aren't in the greatest of shape but it would give you an idea if it is the right tool for your job before spending tens of thousands.
Unfortunately I am in AL.

rstallings1979

I have a Kasco that I acquired last year. It works pretty well for a food plot drill. I basically just spray the plots and drill right over the top with whatever I want to plant. Extremely sandy soil may not be ideal for a Kasco. It may grab the sandy dirt as it is trying to pack. I planted a 4 acre dove field with it this year and it is full of doves at the moment and the maturity was good excluding one sandy area where it was grabbing the sand as it was packing the seed. That may have been operator error on my part as I am still getting used to it. In any case I don't think you could go wrong with a Woods/Firminator/Kasco etc.

Big7

The Oracle

Dirtroad Johnson

I have a Kasco that I acquired last year. It works pretty well for a food plot drill. I basically just spray the plots and drill right over the top with whatever I want to plant. Extremely sandy soil may not be ideal for a Kasco. It may grab the sandy dirt as it is trying to pack. I planted a 4 acre dove field with it this year and it is full of doves at the moment and the maturity was good excluding one sandy area where it was grabbing the sand as it was packing the seed. That may have been operator error on my part as I am still getting used to it. In any case I don't think you could go wrong with a Woods/Firminator/Kasco etc.
What did you plant in your dove field?