Nottely River Tailwaters

Hi all,

I live very close to the Lake Nottely Dam. I know there is access to the tail water section of the river below the dam. Just curious if anyone has any experience fishing this? If so, is it worth fishing and what kind of fish are there? I am assuming maybe bass and rainbow trout? I noticed that Nottely River is stocked, does anyone know if this section is stocked? Thanks!

Redbeardless

When I was a kid, there were walleye in the river behind the dam, but there were also little dinosaurs running around back then and Fred Flintstone was my best friend!!! That was a long, long, long time ago. Not sure what's there now.

Liquid nails

I think it’s the Nottely river that feeds lake Nottely they are referring to stocking. The river feeding lake Nottely twists and turns and is very long. Once the river leaves the dam it’s just a short distance to the NC line which wouldn’t make much sense for GA to stock it. There isn’t much access past Nottely dam to fish. That being said there are some monster rainbows in lake Nottely. Monster.

I think it’s the Nottely river that feeds lake Nottely they are referring to stocking. The river feeding lake Nottely twists and turns and is very long. Once the river leaves the dam it’s just a short distance to the NC line which wouldn’t make much sense for GA to stock it. There isn’t much access past Nottely dam to fish. That being said there are some monster rainbows in lake Nottely. Monster.
Okay this is kind of what I figured. I was assuming it would be the headwaters that they stocked. Thanks for the info!

lampern

Big7

The Oracle

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
They end up in the Nottley River and Hiawassee Lake, North Carolina

North Carolina's state record striper is from Hiawassee Lake

Where did it come from? Nottley Lake in Georgia

Thanks Georgia DNR!

https://www.ncwildlife.org/portals/0/Fishing/images/tyler_shields_with_striper_state_record_2012.jpg
So you read it off the internet would suffice. That's a tough striper to live through a 400 foot spillway drop and you're welcome if true. What if some nc hillbillies caught some stripers in nottely and released them in hiwassee. I'm sure that has never happened...

Liquid nails

Kinda off subject but we was pulling boards last year just above the marina on Nottely and one took off with the outside board and couldn’t get the rod out of the holder and popped the 60lb leader. Man I’d love to know how big that fish was. That fish pulled the foam loose from my plexiglass frame I make them out of. There’s still one big stripe in that lake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So you read it off the internet would suffice. That's a tough striper to live through a 400 foot spillway drop and you're welcome if true. What if some nc hillbillies caught some stripers in nottely and released them in hiwassee. I'm sure that has never happened...
That is entirely possible. Don't know how they got there, but the last two NC state record stripers came from Hiwassee before the state ever stocked a striper in there.

Latest posts