Nutritional supplement

ilbcnu

Looking into nutritional supplements such as boost, ensure, etc. don’t always eat as I should and want to maintain my weight and not loose much more. I stay active and I’m healthy according to my doc but he said I need to maintain protein levels and proper vitamins for my age. He wouldn’t recommend any certain brand and for me to find what tastes good to me. Any of you use them and which ones would you recommend?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There's a number of good ones out there but watch for high amounts of sugar in some of them. Some are artificially sweetened and are better for you if you're at risk for diabetes. My wife likes the Quest ones but there are others.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
"Daisey" is almost 91 and loves the chocolate Boost.

Tight Lines

I take Smartypants Adult Gummies w/ Probiotic and Super Beets chews every morning.

If you are pre-diabetic you probably know this but drop some weight and if you can, go vegan for 90 days. I know that's sacrilege in here, but I did it and dropped my A1C 3 pts. in 90 days.

I also drink a shake daily with an energy pack, Super Greens, and oat bran powder. Helps with cholesterol.

My doctor wanted to put on meds. Said no way. Dropped 40 lbs., went vegan for 90 days, and started taking researched supplements.

My numbers have been great for 3 years or more.

ilbcnu

I take Smartypants Adult Gummies w/ Probiotic and Super Beets chews every morning.

If you are pre-diabetic you probably know this but drop some weight and if you can, go vegan for 90 days. I know that's sacrilege in here, but I did it and dropped my A1C 3 pts. in 90 days.

I also drink a shake daily with an energy pack, Super Greens, and oat bran powder. Helps with cholesterol.

My doctor wanted to put on meds. Said no way. Dropped 40 lbs., went vegan for 90 days, and started taking researched supplements.

Heard good thing about superbeets. Being pre diabetic got me nervous and lost too much weight too fast. Iron and zinc levels suffering because of it. Quit Simvistatin because it made my back hurt and constant nausea

ilbcnu

I think I’ll take the oat bran for next 4 months and see bloodwork levels then

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

No, when we're talking diabetes, all bets are off and every tactic is allowed. Have you tried Berberine, Acetyle L Carnitine, or CoQ10?

Tight Lines

No, when we're talking diabetes, all bets are off and every tactic is allowed. Have you tried Berberine, Acetyle L Carnitine, or CoQ10?
I take Acetyl L-Carnitine and CoQ10 is in the multi, sometimes take it separately...

I also take Chromium Picolinate daily...it helps with metabolism...

Since I did the 90 day vegan thing, and got a little healthier with my eating, and the supplements, I've had great numbers.

I'm not doing statins or diabetes drugs...when I can control it myself by just being healthier...

Tight Lines

I think I’ll take the oat bran for next 4 months and see bloodwork levels then
I take a scoop of this daily in a protein shake with super greens AG1, Heat energy powder, and just use a shaker bottle.

Pretty religious about it except when I travel.

The powder is essentially like eating a big bowl of oatmeal without all the calories and carbs...

81EQZfhRv+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Tight Lines

And if you read about diabetes, which my Dad has thanks to .Gov and Agent Orange, you find that a lot of meats have protein triggers that make diabetes worse. I can't recall all the details, but once I was pre-diabetic I read a book (name escapes me - think it was The End of Diabetes) and went vegan for 90 days. My A1C and cholesterol dropped so much that my PCP made me come back and re-test because he didn't believe the bloodwork. Basically he was dumbfounded.

Now I eat what I want, just in moderation...

bullgator

I just recently came across Shamrock protein shakes. The have 30 grams of protein and 6 grams of sugar. No added sugar. I find them at Publix and Dollar General. Oh, and they taste great!

transfixer

And if you read about diabetes, which my Dad has thanks to .Gov and Agent Orange, you find that a lot of meats have protein triggers that make diabetes worse. I can't recall all the details, but once I was pre-diabetic I read a book (name escapes me - think it was The End of Diabetes) and went vegan for 90 days. My A1C and cholesterol dropped so much that my PCP made me come back and re-test because he didn't believe the bloodwork. Basically he was dumbfounded.

Now I eat what I want, just in moderation...

I've mentioned before I lost a good bit of weight about 4yrs ago, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic back then and as a result cut out ALL food with any added sugar to speak of, started eating mostly chicken, salad, occasionally lean beef, occasionally fish, absolutely no white bread or starchy foods, I eat whole wheat bread if i eat bread.. I went from my A1C numbers being one point away from full blown diabetic, to now in the 5.1/5.2 range every time my labs are done,

I've also been doing testosterone replacement therapy again for the last 4 yrs, having done it in the past as well, my primary care Doctor back then wasn't monitoring my levels enough, and was basically only prescribing a maintenance dose, for the last year I've been using a clinic that specializes in TRT, and they prescribe higher doses and monitor much more closely, I've gained about 15-20lbs of muscle as a result of TRT , my blood work is excellent across the board, and I feel about 20yrs younger than my almost 63yrs of age

For the OP , Check into TRT with a clinic that specializes in it and will monitor it closely , you will add weight via muscle and feel much better

Latest posts