Oak ID - SW Georgia

dholley

We purchased some land in Colquitt County last year and been enjoying the change in scenery. I'm pretty good at oak ID but these trees have me and online apps stumped. First one is on the edge of swamp (uphill) in relatively dry ground. Has characteristics similar to a white oak and swamp chestnut oak. Leaf shape looks like a mix between the two. Acorns are more round than the other white oaks on the property.
20211114_135223.jpg
20211114_140105.jpg

Second tree really has me stumped. It is definitely in the white oak family and has some traits of white oak and post oak. Have not found any acorns as most are immature trees. I've found this tree on low bottom land sites and dry hill tops.
IMG_20221102_130054.jpg
IMG_20221102_130047.jpg

Hoping you guys can help out.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Top is definitely white oak, but I think the bottom is a sand post oak (which some think is a variety of post oak). It is hard to tell them apart... Do the twigs have tiny hairs on them?

Edit: Tiny hairs on twigs = Post oak; no hairs on twigs = Sand post oak

Last edited:

dholley

Top is definitely white oak, but I think the bottom is a sand post oak (which some think is a variety of post oak). It is hard to tell them apart... Do the twigs have tiny hairs on them?

Edit: Tiny hairs on twigs = Post oak; no hairs on twigs = Sand post oak

I think you nailed the second one. The leaf shape is a ringer and the bark is scalier than a regular post oak. Interestingly, I've found it on wet sites and very, very dry sites.

The white oak has me puzzled because of the acorn shape which is almost completely round and the fact that the cap covers nearly half to two thirds of the nut. The leaf shape is also off a bit from a traditional white oak.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I think you nailed the second one. The leaf shape is a ringer and the bark is scalier than a regular post oak. Interestingly, I've found it on wet sites and very, very dry sites.

The white oak has me puzzled because of the acorn shape which is almost completely round and the fact that the cap covers nearly half to two thirds of the nut. The leaf shape is also off a bit from a traditional white oak.
Yeah, the fact that you've found the 2nd on wet sites seems odd to me. Other indicators are that the sand post oak leaves vary more in size and have rounder lobes.

As for the white oak, I read somewhere that white oaks are very prone to hybridize, so if the majority of signs point to white oak but one part is off, I just assume that it hybridized. Maybe that's lazy and incorrect of me, though. :LOL:

bhouston

Strange - I'm in Johnson County and have abundant white oaks that put out big oval acorns every year (a few skipped years over the last 8 years). This year, most of the white oak acorns are smaller and more rounded like you describe. I figured it was the wet summer and dry fall that caused it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think the first one is just some odd white oak, maybe hybridized. I think the second one could be swamp post oak (Quercus similis.)

dholley

Took some photos of the acorns from the first tree. Cap covers nearly 3/4 of the acorn. Still think it's a white oak?

Attachments

• IMG-20221106-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221106-WA0000.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 21

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Looks similar to an over cup acorn