Oconee NF success, but I'm worried!

Gobble Chaser

So I was blessed with beautiful bird that was eager to play last week. I hunted him on Wednesday morning but he was on the other side of the river. So after a morning failure I went around to the other side of the river to find him that afternoon and guess what. No sooner than I sat down, he gobbled.... on the other side of the river, within 50 yards of where I had hunted that morning. Frustrated, I left him alone and just waited to hear him fly up with a hen at roost time. Knowing exactly where he was I slipped in the next morning and was able to call him in with his lady in tow. He strutted for about 30 mins and showed me exactly why I love to hunt turkeys. I think these birds are the most awesome creature God ever created. I had finally had about all I could stand and took the shot. I expected a two year old but was surprised to find 1 1/4 " spurs on this mature public land bird. What a blessing.

Now for the worries I have. I have been hunting this particular piece of public land for a long time. At least 16 years. I took my very first bird ever here and have managed to kill at least one every year since. I have grown as a turkey hunter and appreciate every opportunity that I have to hunt this magnificent bird on such a special piece of land. over the last five years, I have noticed a sharp decline in overall turkey activity. Fewer birds, gobblers and hens. A lot less gobbling and very little turkey sign. I have, however noticed a LOT more hunters who seem to be hunting more often. For example, I went back Saturday morning to try to find another bird to play with, and at 6:00 a.m. There were trucks at every single gate (some had multiple vehicles). After trying a fifth location and finding hunters already there, I decided to give up on the hunt and went to visit my parents. Although I really enjoyed the breakfast and conversation with them, I realized that our beloved turkeys are in real trouble.

As a man who doesn't have a club or lease, I rely mostly on public land opportunities here in Georgia. I knew there were many just like me, and have met a lot of nice people over the years, but wow. I have never seen as many people concentrated on one piece of property in my life. I was really worried about all of the logging that has been done in the last three years. I know it alone has negatively impacted the turkey population but when you add the pressure and death toll of the increased hunting of the property, these birds are all but gone. Five years ago I would hear 8-10 gobbling birds on most mornings I hunted. This year I have only heard 3 birds total. Keep in mind, I live only 8 miles away, have a flexible work schedule and I spend a lot of sunrises on this piece of property. I would hate to know how much boot leather I have worn off walking and scouting over the years.

What is my point? I will get to it. Everyone deserves a chance at public land hunting. I get that. If I wanted to hunt Saturday morning, I should have gotten out of bed a little earlier. I get that. I don't own the land or the birds, I get that too. I have seen a decline in turkey activity overall in the Morgan and Putnam county area over the last several years. I am worried that if Ga DNR doesn't make some changes, we won't have any birds to hunt at all. Maybe quicker than we think. I have seen it coming for several years, but this week it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I will not kill another turkey on this piece of property this year. The selfish side of me says "I better hunt them while I can" but the love i have for this sport tells me I better leave one for next year!

tknight

Congrats on your bird!

I also hunt ONF and use to hunt BF Grant. I agree with several of your points, the birds are definitely harder to find, I have also noticed more vehicles parked at the gates...especially this year for some reason and it seems like in the past every time I would find a decent spot on BF Grant, the next year it would be clear cut! It looks like they are getting ready to cut some of the NF land also.

I've only been able to go 3 times this year but I've only heard a hen on two occasions. It's disappointing to not hear birds like I use to but I'll keep after it if not just for the pure enjoyment of the star filled skies and the early morning sunrises!

Good luck to you the rest of the year!

Core Lokt

I hunt private property that has been loaded with birds and sign. This yr, not much is happening with either. This past weekend things went back to normal. I just had to hunt different areas and find them. Good luck.

Curtis-UGA

Stop name dropping where you hunt on the inter web and that will help with the "more hunters" issue.

DRBugman85

Welcome to Internet hunting,The bloggers jump on the FORUM and talk about where to hunt and just by reading POSTS lets everyone that can read know the WMA that hunter harvest birds at then get upset that they can't beat the internet surfers to they spots.1 suggestion is keep your spot to yourself and it's probably too late the hordes of Internet Hunters are coming.Turkey hunting is the most advertise hunting in America.The same thing happened for duck hunting in Georgia. So keep posting your spots and be sure to include the name of the WMA you hunt and you get what you get.:banginghe

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I can sympathize with a lot of your points.

I have killed all my Ga. birds off public land the last 5 years. Why because the birds just disappeared from my private land spots. It has been a real downer to stand in a pasture and hear nothing. 10 years ago I could hear 6 different birds gobbeling from the same spot.

Five or six years ago I decided to kill no more than one bird out of a flock.

Gobble Chaser

Gentleman. The harvest data is out there. I'm not very net savvy and even I know where to look. I probably shouldn't have shared the name of the property but I was trying to incite conversation about a problem I'm seeing in my area of the state. I never gave enough info to help anyone figure out anything imo. I agree that we live and hunt In a time where the average hunter uses the net for his/ her advantage. That was one of the underlying themes of my original post. That is exactly what every single person on this website is doing. Learning a little. Sharing with friends and neighbors, and always watching for a clue that may benefit my hunting. If the biggest problem here is the fact that I used the name of a piece of property in my post then I guess I am the problem. My concerns are the timber harvest and the hunting pressure that is already on these birds. Add in a few years of low poult numbers and the outcome is staggering.

bdavisbdavis727

Gentleman. The harvest data is out there. I'm not very net savvy and even I know where to look. I probably shouldn't have shared the name of the property but I was trying to incite conversation about a problem I'm seeing in my area of the state. I never gave enough info to help anyone figure out anything imo. I agree that we live and hunt In a time where the average hunter uses the net for his/ her advantage. That was one of the underlying themes of my original post. That is exactly what every single person on this website is doing. Learning a little. Sharing with friends and neighbors, and always watching for a clue that may benefit my hunting. If the biggest problem here is the fact that I used the name of a piece of property in my post then I guess I am the problem. My concerns are the timber harvest and the hunting pressure that is already on these birds. Add in a few years of low poult numbers and the outcome is staggering.

I see nothing wrong with your post. Everyone knows there are birds up there. Any place with over 800,000 acres is going to have birds but killing them is a different story.

I agree with you that turkeys are on a major decline not just there but all over the state. It has a lot more to do with loss of habitat than it does wma hunters.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Turkey hunting is the cool thing to do nowadays... "Can't Stop the Flop"... Excuse me while I pull my trash can over to my desk and puke.......

I've quit going to a few public land spots I use to have great success on.... Too many hunters, too few birds......

Georgia has Atlanta..................... I don't know if some of y'all have noticed, but the population of Atlanta has doubled in a decade...... Tons of people moving in to this state...

Any public or private land within 2hrs of Atlanta will and is getting hammered.

I don't think killing too many gobblers is effecting the turkey population. A hen can be bred once and store the sperm for 8 weeks until conditions are right to nest. If she loses an entire nest, she can re-nest without being bred again in that 8 week or so time period.

There are other factors involved causing a decline in the population. Loss of habitat, bad hatches, predators, farming practices???

These are merely guesses from a hunter.. I'm not a professional biologist... I'm not seeing the turkeys I use to see. Hens or gobblers..

JMB

Internet. Internet. And internet.

Instagram, Facebook, and forums.

Welcome to the millennial age of internet scouting and hunting.

Best way to stop folks from showing up where you hunt is to not mention locations, ask questions like, "how's the hunting at ___wma" or "anyone hear any gobbling on _____forest".

I can tell you for certain I ran into four guys in Alabama this year that heard about where I was hunting on THIS forum. First time ever there. Not saying they don't have a right to be, but making the point their only source of reference was the GON forum. Same with a wma in Georgia last year and on national forest land. Guess what...none of the guys I met hunting these areas in Georgia were residents. They trolled the forum and derived info from posts. One group planned their entire trip around posts of dead turkeys from the year prior (where location was stated) and figured it must be good. It was and they killed...again, good on them for killing and every right to be on public land; except they were on a particular road I hunt every year and shot 3 long beards that came in together. Two guys shot all 3. Needeless to say that spot was done for the season. Never heard another gobble.

Luke0927

On the Atlanta thing. I think the folks who don't work in or live very close to Atlanta might not realize how much the population has boomed, and if just a few % of those folks hunt that is a lot more people than just a decade or two ago in the woods.

fewer areas to hunt, land prices and over crowding is going to be the new normal.

I'm looking to buy a nice tract of hunting land for my boys and me in the next few years I'm considering looking outside of GA because of these reasons. I'm almost leaning Alabama or Tennessee

mcarge

I feel your pain..its happening everywhere. IMO...once again IMO...there are multiple factors involved. Mulltiple organizations are claiming the population is down 20 to 30% in the southeast compared to 10 years ago. Increase in predation ..without effective management coupled with significant habitat loss and a few cold wet springs all add up to less turkeys. Now...increase hunting pressure and lack of need for skill set learned through boot leather and woodsmanship leaves you with what we have today. I have hunted the same public land for 21 years and have seen it happening...really bad the last 5 years. Times change..no getting around it.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Internet. Internet. And internet.

Instagram, Facebook, and forums.

Welcome to the millennial age of internet scouting and hunting.

Best way to stop folks from showing up where you hunt is to not mention locations, ask questions like, "how's the hunting at ___wma" or "anyone hear any gobbling on _____forest".

I can tell you for certain I ran into four guys in Alabama this year that heard about where I was hunting on THIS forum. First time ever there. Not saying they don't have a right to be, but making the point their only source of reference was the GON forum. Same with a wma in Georgia last year and on national forest land. Guess what...none of the guys I met hunting these areas in Georgia were residents. They trolled the forum and derived info from posts. One group planned their entire trip around posts of dead turkeys from the year prior (where location was stated) and figured it must be good. It was and they killed...again, good on them for killing and every right to be on public land; except they were on a particular road I hunt every year and shot 3 long beards that came in together. Two guys shot all 3. Needeless to say that spot was done for the season. Never heard another gobble.

Why would anybody from Bama come here to kill turkeys?

Gobble Chaser

Thanks to all that replied. I agree with everything that has been said. We do live in a different time with today's technology. information, good or bad, is always a few clicks away.
I guess the bottom line is this. If I am going to continue to hunt turkeys on public land, I am gonna have to work even harder to find new birds. I guess I will be getting out of bed earlier too so I can get to my spot earlier than ever, though I have noticed this doesn't matter as much any more bc a lot of people will block your truck in and shine their 1000 lumen light in your eyes as they walk past you in the dark. We are sharing the woods with a new type of hunter. I guess acceptance is the first step, but it doesn't make it any easier.

southGAlefty

It's kinda like the Duck Dynasty phenomena, everybody is a duck hunter and grows a mountain man beard since that series came out. Turkey hunting has become the cool thing to do. I'm not that old but I can remember when I only knew a small handful of folks that turkey hunted. Now everybody wants to kill a "thunderchicken" and #cantstoptheflop. I wish people would just respect the resource.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Thanks to all that replied. I agree with everything that has been said. We do live in a different time with today's technology. information, good or bad, is always a few clicks away.
I guess the bottom line is this. If I am going to continue to hunt turkeys on public land, I am gonna have to work even harder to find new birds. I guess I will be getting out of bed earlier too so I can get to my spot earlier than ever, though I have noticed this doesn't matter as much any more bc a lot of people will block your truck in and shine their 1000 lumen light in your eyes as they walk past you in the dark. We are sharing the woods with a new type of hunter. I guess acceptance is the first step, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Don't accept disrespectful behavior.