Oconee NF success, but I'm worried!

drhunter1

Gentleman. The harvest data is out there. I'm not very net savvy and even I know where to look. I probably shouldn't have shared the name of the property but I was trying to incite conversation about a problem I'm seeing in my area of the state. I never gave enough info to help anyone figure out anything imo. I agree that we live and hunt In a time where the average hunter uses the net for his/ her advantage. That was one of the underlying themes of my original post. That is exactly what every single person on this website is doing. Learning a little. Sharing with friends and neighbors, and always watching for a clue that may benefit my hunting. If the biggest problem here is the fact that I used the name of a piece of property in my post then I guess I am the problem. My concerns are the timber harvest and the hunting pressure that is already on these birds. Add in a few years of low poult numbers and the outcome is staggering.

Exactly right. The ONF is pretty vast. I don't recall seeing you mention which gate you hunted so ignore folks who want to give you a hard time about talking about the ONF. But if someone moves in on you it is more likely because someone else just got likely and stumbled on that particular spot.

IMHO, The bird population if anything is greater than it has been in past years. The fact of the matter is that some years are just better years for hunting. Weather patterns play a big role. I hunted fairly hard the last two years and did not hear one bird gobble. They just didn't gobble. It seemed like every time I had a change to go we had a low pressure system.

Secondly, Turkeys are not static creatures and can move from one area to the next. If there is a bunch of timber cutting going on in an area it will push them around to different areas and out of some. The bottom line is, they aren't around every tree all the time. BF Grant (part of the ONF) is a prime example of that.

Predators like coyotes and raccoons raid nests, push birds around etc. Make them tight lipped. When their populations rise it changes things.

There are a whole host of reasons why the turkeys may or may not make their presence known.

If it were easy, it wouldn't be near as fun. Good luck.

Booner Killa

When the population of humans in an area increase, the wild game in that area decreases. It's not rocket science. Turkeys need land to roam. A lot of it. Your smaller tracts of land may hold a bird or two but usually they just move through following water sheds. When you add pressure to the equation, it's going to get rough. The limit needs to be reduced or the season shortened. The piedmont used to be thunderous with gobbling turkeys in the 80's and 90's. It's just not like that anymore in most places due to people and less birds. I know guys that haven't heard a gobble this year hunting land that used to yield three or four kills by now.

across the river

Thanks to all that replied. I agree with everything that has been said. We do live in a different time with today's technology. information, good or bad, is always a few clicks away.
I guess the bottom line is this. If I am going to continue to hunt turkeys on public land, I am gonna have to work even harder to find new birds. I guess I will be getting out of bed earlier too so I can get to my spot earlier than ever, though I have noticed this doesn't matter as much any more bc a lot of people will block your truck in and shine their 1000 lumen light in your eyes as they walk past you in the dark. We are sharing the woods with a new type of hunter. I guess acceptance is the first step, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Twenty years ago I used to duck hunt public land in Georgia a lot with good results. I don't anymore. It just isn't worth the effort. You can fuss about it, or realize it is what it is and go explore other options.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have not seen a shortage in birds and have yet to kill one....seems like turkeys are everywhere. They do however seem to disappear during turkey season. I see lots of birds during small game and deer season.

Turkey season has surely grown in popularity. Lease prices have gon through the roof and like the OP, I too am grateful for the opportunities we have. No worries brother, you'll always find your birds. When the woods quiet down, they will attract new birds from all over the place(it IS an Awesome place for them to be and live right?)........now go get your limit, with No worries

kevincox

I've killed my share of public land birds but I literally stopped hunting them several years ago. I hunt for enjoyment and my enjoyment was declining rapidly dealing with inconsiderate hunters. Now I rely on a couple of small pvt tracts that vary from year to year on whether there is enough birds to even fool with. It's hit or miss and you have to Go A lot to be there when they are. Birds are few and far between where I hunt this year. Very little turkey sign at all

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
10 years ago turkey were everywhere, one public spot I hunted many years ago I could hear 8 different turkey gobbling, now I feel lucky to hear more than one. I'm not sure what has happened Ed but there is definitely less than it used to be.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I'm curious to what the turkey survey cards quite a few of us have been filling out for a few years are indicating?

aj.hiner

its funny i said this same exact thing about the drastic amount of turkey hunters now and a lot of people on FB acted like I was crazy lol. There are so many people who attempt to turkey hunt now it is scary. I brought up that question that although everyone always says take someone hunting im over here like maybe not? lol

It's the same way in my state. Numbers are declining but hunter numbers are way up. Very few real turkey hunters left though. Most don't care about the resource.

goblr77

The state needs to outlaw decoys. A lot of the new hunters would get frustrated and quit.

BASS1FUN

Went this morning and heard zilch, use to always hear birds in there but the last 2 years have been mind boggling

Ricochet

I agree with the vast majority of posts here...it's depressing and worrisome for our beloved turkeys. I hope the turkey population there and here in SC can overcome. I hunt GA and SC every year and both turkey populations have suffered the past few years...luckily I have access to private land that hasn't been negatively impacted too much.

BTW, I have hunted Oconee NF a few times in 2008/2009 and there were some birds there. Sad to hear the numbers have declined. It is a nice place to hunt...good luck!

Ricochet

The state needs to outlaw decoys. A lot of the new hunters would get frustrated and quit.
I agree, I like hunting shows but their use of decoys is ridiculous. I rarely use decoys - there is a reason for that. ;)

JMB

My buddy who is a biologist in TN told me their numbers are down significantly, but the harvest has remained intact due to people who could not kill turkeys before or newcomers that wouldn't typically kill as many utilizing modern decoys and blinds. He's not sure if it is the same in GA and was hesistant to comment on the reason behind the decline. Disease and over harvest were two factors as well as habitat loss; however, there is little concrete evidence to support the theory(s).

Public places I've heard birds for 20 years and still have intact forests are only slightly down. Places that have been heavily cut are way down. I'm also seeing more cars hunting, but fewer birds heard and seen.

One thing I did notice last year and this year is the abundance of tight lipped gobblers with hens. This year I called in two two year olds that were silent on the ground with one hen between them. Down the road I saw another two year old with three jakes and 5 hens. All silent. Then in a field less than 1/4 mile away one boss gobbler and two satellites on the fringe of a about 20 hens. . Also, glassing open areas I'm seeing other birds in flocks of two or three longbeards with 15-20 hens. Gobblers are strutting and not gobbling. Was this way before I left for Florida/Kansas/Nebraska about 10 days ago.

Could be a combination of a heavily skewed gobbler:hen ratio coupled with a decline in population. But heck, what do I know.