Ok… total newbie… am I ok so far?

Jim Boyd

You guys really are the helpful “authorities” and all your wisdom and guidance is genuinely appreciated.

Got what few 6.5g brass I have trimmed - each is at 1.506”. Had to discard 2 cases that I accidentally took to 1.500” when I was learning the trimmer.

Will start trimming the 7-08 brass when I get an actual Hornady shell holder. The Lee shell holder will not fit on the Hornady trimmer. Learning curve….

4B3DBF51-E78D-4994-BB07-4F9A3C3AED67.jpeg

Reactions: Dub

BriarPatch99

Legend has it that the first point of contact is midway the shoulder at the datum line ....

Let me tell you this is NOT always the case ... the first contact can be at any point along the shoulder angle ....it can be at the shoulder/neck junction.... it can be at the shoulder/body junction ...or any point between ... in a precise reemer/die/chamber match contact can be the entire shoulder angle...

I am one of folks who don't really care for case gauges ...unless the gauge is a prefect match to your chamber ...a gauge can give bad information ...

In the manufacturing industry ...perfect is not common ...but tolerance is the game ... Hope that tolerance match up in your ammo making tools ...

rosewood

Got what few 6.5g brass I have trimmed - each is at 1.506”. Had to discard 2 cases that I accidentally took to 1.500” when I was learning the trimmer.
Send em to me...

rosewood

Value of the brass won’t cover the postage.

I will follow @BriarPatch99 and use them again. If I can find them in the garbage can.
I was poking fun. I agree with him. Use them. Not gonna hurt a thing.

treemanjohn

Banned
Keep it simple. Don't look for solutions that don't have a problem. Consistency is the key when you really want to reach out and walk the dog. World class shooters don't send cartridges to nasa for inspection or search the internet for another thing to add to their plates. You'll figure it out. You're doing good

Jim Boyd

Keep it simple. Don't look for solutions that don't have a problem. Consistency is the key when you really want to reach out and walk the dog. World class shooters don't send cartridges to nasa for inspection or search the internet for another thing to add to their plates. You'll figure it out. You're doing good

Good advice, TreeManJohn…

I am not gonna make world class, if I can get consistent at 2-300 yards, I will think I am doing great.

I have a lane at the farm that with a little work, I can get 450 yards no problem. With a bit of chain saw work at the other end, I can get 500.

Plan right now (mental floss at this point) is to set some used sections of power line poles and build a slight elevated shooting bench with a roof. Will use the FEL and build backstops at 100, 200 etc.

It will easily double as a deer stand as it would sit on one side of a big powerline (all cultivated as a food plot) and then down a 400 yard lane this is tillable also.

Yes, I just told on myself… I have ZERO issues shooting a deer in an ag field or food plot!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a lane at the farm that with a little work, I can get 450 yards no problem. With a bit of chain saw work at the other end, I can get 500.

what time did you want us all there? I'll bring my chainsaw and polesaw in case we need to hit some over hanging stuff for the 500 yard target. A berm for the 500 would be helpful too.

Jim Boyd

what time did you want us all there? I'll bring my chainsaw and polesaw in case we need to hit some over hanging stuff for the 500 yard target. A berm for the 500 would be helpful too.

I would be delighted to host a GON shooting weekend.

We have 3BR at our farm house + we have a rental house and a spare camper that we use for the club and the 850 ac leased ground adjacent to our place.

Yessir - I will put a big berm at the end, whether it is 450 or 500.

Basically, an open invite.

rmp

Consistency in components and in the person squeezing the trigger.
You can have the best loading equipment for the best ammunition to go in the best built gun under the best optics but still be a poor shot. There is no substitute for trigger time.