Ok, so here's the real Bow Test results...

Kris87

I still have to put up the specs for the last couple of bows.

I get a lot of pm's everyday about bow suggestions and tuning help. I just wanna say thanks. I really enjoy doing this and it's never a burden for me to answer anything. I really love tuning, testing, helping, as much as anything. It's a real treat for me to be able to help you guys. Seriously.

BowChilling

I get a lot of pm's everyday about bow suggestions and tuning help. I just wanna say thanks. I really enjoy doing this and it's never a burden for me to answer anything. I really love tuning, testing, helping, as much as anything. It's a real treat for me to be able to help you guys. Seriously.

Kris in all seriousness this is awesome for you to take your time to spend doing these comparisons and also always willing to help with anybody's questions. This sight really needs someone like you!:cheers:

fountain

ooooooooo really......

i'll text ya later :rofl: ..lol:rofl:

Kris87

Ok, been meaning to put the last couple of bows up.

First up is my '15 Carbon Spyder Turbo ZT. Been shooting this bow about a year, and I've loved it. This type of bow isn't for every shooter, you should always shoot a speed bow before you buy it. That said, it has one of the smoothest draws of any bow in the test. Speed has to come from somewhere, and on this bow it comes from a short valley. I don't have any problem with it at all. It doesn't want to rip me forward, and the bow lets down super easy. It could be because I'm shooting it on lower poundage than my others, but because of the speed, it allows for that. The bow has a typical Hoyt back wall, not rock firm, but firmer than others because there seems to be a good load on the cables on this bow...that firms it up. All in all, I'd recommend this bow for someone that has no issue pulling through the shot. I think its a killer hunting bow at lower poundage. Its quiet, light, no hand shock, and a barn burner. If you're thinking about dropping down in weight, then a bow like this is capable of producing good speeds even when shot in the 55-60# range. My specs were 64#, 28.5" DL, 350gr arrow 318fps, 430gr arrow 288fps, 6" BH, 14.2# hold weight....353fps IBO.

Kris87

Next up is a CS30. I've only had this bow about a month, and wanted to see if I'd like it setup as a blind bow. Because of its short ATA, I thought I would set it up with a light sight, very little stabilizer setup, and keep the weight down. I thought I wouldn't be shooting this bow at long range. The thing that has impressed me the most about this bow is how well it holds on target for such a small, lightweight bow. It reminds me of a polished Carbon Element, which I loved. It just holds well. The string angle is steep at 28.5" but it didn't bother me any. I set the peep the way I always do and had no problem with it. The bow is quiet, obviously light, and produces decent speed. I could see this being a super backcountry bow, or a good one if you have a long ways to hike in. All in all, its a solid performer, but probably not worth its price tag new. As a used bow in the $7-800 range, its worth it. That said, I probably won't keep this bow and will opt for an Obsession that I can setup the same way with a little more speed, and less hold weight for the blind. My specs were 68.2#, 28.5" DL, 316fps 350gr arrow, 283fps 430gr arrow, 6 7/8" BH, 11.6# hold weight...335fps IBO.

Kris87

I will add about the CS30, as you can see by the hold weight, its has very good letoff, and a rather long valley. Its what I call a comfortable valley. It allows some play at full hold, and isn't going to rip your arm off ever. It is very nice in that aspect. I think the Z5 cam was/is the best cam Hoyt has made in the last 10 years.

Kris87

OK, the last bow I had to test was a 2014 Obsession Phoenix. There's been a lot written about this bow, I think I actually did a write up about this same bow somewhere on here when I first messed with it. Its here somewhere. Anyway, if you're looking for a decent used bow, then this bow is pretty special. It does lots of things well. Its crazy smooth to draw, quiet, has a rock solid backwall, has a great valley/letoff, and produces decent speeds. For an all around hunting bow, its a good one. This cam still has the limb stops on the cams, rather than the modules like the newer Obsession cams, and IMO, you can get more valley from it. This one wasn't set at max letoff, and I liked it the way it was set. It holds on target as well as anything I've shot. I really don't have anything bad to say about it. I do think the newer bows are better performers with all the same characteristics of this bow, so you'll have to decide if the new price tag is worth your money. It probably is for me. Its specs were 62.4#, 28.5" DL, 298fps with 350gr arrow, 271fps with 430gr arrow, 7" BH, 12# hold weight...336fps IBO.

C Cape

Nice reviews Kris...Keep up the good work!

Kris87

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my M7 impression. As I wrote earlier, the bow was .25" short for me on the DL. I've been trying to figure out how I wanted to gain the extra DL. Twist up the cables/untwist the string with the 28.5" mods, or slap some 29" on there and short the stops a little. Well, I went with the mod change. It was easy to do it this way, and the bow still has about the same letoff/feel as the 28.5" mods with the stops set at max letoff. Its pretty close in terms of feel. I did put the 29" mods at full letoff, and the bow definitely feels better at 29" than it does at 28.5". I believe we discussed that earlier.

For weeks now, I've only shot this bow and my CS34. I can give some updates on how I feel there too. I do think the M7 is the quietest bow I've shot. Its definitely quieter than the carbon Hoyt. It has almost no vibration. If I shoot the M7, then shoot the CS34 right behind it, the Hoyt almost feels junky. Its not nearly as crisp at the shot. I do like the draw more on the CS34. The M7 draws smooth, but it stacks weight right before the cams rollover and the 34 doesn't as much. I'm still shooting the CS34 more accurately too. That alone is giving me a hard time putting it down. Its not as quiet, not as crisp, but man it just shoots where I want it to. It feels more like a target bow to me I guess. Also, I fatigue faster with the M7, and I think that's because of pulling hard into limb stops compared to the cable stops. Its just a different stress on the arms and back after shooting a lot.

More later. I may try custom cable/string lengths on it and move it back to the 28.5" mods. Not sure yet. Thanks to Pasinthrough for sending me some mods. I'll send a set back when I figure out what I want to do. :D

Brewskis

Just now re-reading this. Call me slow, Kris, for just now saying thanks for this thorough bow test. Call me even slower, but I couldn't tell which one you ended up liking most.

Which one is getting the nod opening day? M7 or CS34?

Kris87

Just now re-reading this. Call me slow, Kris, for just now saying thanks for this thorough bow test. Call me even slower, but I couldn't tell which one you ended up liking most.

Which one is getting the nod opening day? M7 or CS34?

I haven't decided yet. I'll probably alternate them a good bit. I still like things about each over the other and so on. For normal hunting distances, I really like the M7. But I shoot the Hoyt better at longer range. They're both very nice bows, and I have them tuned well, so neither is a bad choice.

uturn

Another Tip of the Hat to ya Kris!

I really enjoy your post and videos...they are all well done!!

Thanks for your efforts and for sharing!

oppthepop

Absolutely superb information. Thank you for taking the time to do this. For me, the Obsession bows are simply incredible. Thanks again Kris.

chill15

Banned
The Mathews No Cam is still the best I've ever shot. The Halon is a close second. Both are the easiest tuning bows I've ever shot as well. Bullet holes on both right off the rip.