OK, what have I missed about hush puppies?

Oldstick

What is the deal? Has the price of corn meal shot up that much???

We don't eat out all that much but we have been to at least three seafood restaurants in the last 6 months, where if you ordered a seafood dinner, hush puppies are listed as one of your allowed side orders. As opposed to the last hundred years where they were automatically included on any fried fish or seafood platter.

Even the last time we hit Captain D's, it was drive through or we would have questioned it. Got home and our two sides were there, but no hush puppies. I tried googling to see if Capt. D's had either started or adopted this trend but the results were inconclusive. Sort of like some lie detector tests turn out. :)

bilgerat

Senior
I hit the cpt D'S yesterday for lunch and My scrimp dinner had 2 hushpuppies in it

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I hit the Cap'n today for lunch. Spicy battered fish is good. No hush puppies with it though.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Make you up a batch, cook up some. Cornmeal mix,diced onions, buttermilk and jalapeños if you like em. Mix your batter till it’s fairly stiff,take a water dipped spoon and drop a spoonful into hot grease take out when it’s brown to your liking and it floats.
No mystery here. You don’t have to eat them with fish either

Oldstick

What we're seeing here is an unintended consequence of all that corn being put in the woods. Told y'all! :LOL:

That is a very plausible theory. And I have a couple more theories in mind too. But it would mean accusing the restaurant industry of blatant age discrimination or either social/economic class discrimination when it comes to fried food items. ;)

dfhooked

Aside from the corn theory above that is legit we can also look at #2.

Who goes out for a hush puppie? To me, hush puppies are a home treat or extra when frying things. I’d expect any place to charge these days with the costs of all items through the roof. Its a miracle if the mom and pops restaurants make it thru the upcoming depression as we are in a recession. If you can support your local spots, now is the time to start the trend to buy a hush puppie, aka support local.

little rascal

^^^^^ Yea, who goes out to buy hushpuppies?? Two kinds of people, those who go out to eat, and those who can cook or will cook and stay home. I don’t go out to eat much cause they tick me off and ambarass me with high prices and small portions and poor service.
At home, good food, entertainment, endless beer, no driving, no problem!
Hey, that was a song right there!

Oldstick

Aside from the corn theory above that is legit we can also look at #2.

Who goes out for a hush puppie? To me, hush puppies are a home treat or extra when frying things. I’d expect any place to charge these days with the costs of all items through the roof. Its a miracle if the mom and pops restaurants make it thru the upcoming depression as we are in a recession. If you can support your local spots, now is the time to start the trend to buy a hush puppie, aka support local.

Nobody goes out specifically for a hush puppy. But the point is almost everyone is now conditioned to paying at least 15 to 20 bucks for an ordinary seafood plate. Probably more depending on what type of fish or seafood involved. Typically includes 2 sides and hush puppies or some type of bread. Now it is one side and if you want bread that is your second side and the price has not dropped, probably increased instead. Thank you Brandon.

Sort of like when McD's and all the rest raise their prices on the combos and also change to where you have only one choice: soda OR fries with it. Matter of time before this happens, mark my word.

"Old Fashioned" foods being phased out by the X generation or whatever they are called these days. Discrimination against all the old and long time native Georgians of all colors I tell you!!!:)

MOTS

I didn't read all the post, but it's hit or miss finding the ready to fry type at the grocery store also. I guess more people are fishing to fight the inflation.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I ate seafood out up in Tennessee last week and hush puppies were listed as one of the sides.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Make you up a batch, cook up some. Cornmeal mix,diced onions, buttermilk and jalapeños if you like em. Mix your batter till it’s fairly stiff,take a water dipped spoon and drop a spoonful into hot grease take out when it’s brown to your liking and it floats.
No mystery here. You don’t have to eat them with fish either

Near perfect but you frogot to tell them that when the bottom browns bumping the top with the spoon will have the puppy turn belly up so as to brown the back too. LOL

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Near perfect but you frogot to tell them that when the bottom browns bumping the top with the spoon will have the puppy turn belly up so as to brown the back too. LOL
It’ll do that for a fact.

Dub

What is the deal? Has the price of corn meal shot up that much???

We don't eat out all that much but we have been to at least three seafood restaurants in the last 6 months, where if you ordered a seafood dinner, hush puppies are listed as one of your allowed side orders. As opposed to the last hundred years where they were automatically included on any fried fish or seafood platter.

Even the last time we hit Captain D's, it was drive through or we would have questioned it. Got home and our two sides were there, but no hush puppies. I tried googling to see if Capt. D's had either started or adopted this trend but the results were inconclusive. Sort of like some lie detector tests turn out. :)

giphy-41.gif

Oldstick

I'll have to acquit Capt. D's as a culprit. Because I dug out the sheet of store coupons we used and every one of the pictures clearly showed hush puppies on the plate. Guess the employees just messed up that day or they had run out and didn't inform us.

GA1dad

Nobody goes out specifically for a hush puppy.

There's always that one guy,,,,,

I have on multiple occasions went into "Cookout" for just two orders of hushpuppies to go. But I admit,,,, I am a little unusual,,,,,and their pups are dang good.