Old English Praying

OwlRNothing

I have heard it said by some that God does not care how you present yourself to him as long as you are there. I have yet to find that theology in Holy Scripture, and I believe God deserves better.

What can God require of us that we could possibly provide Him? Do you think He looks down on people who come to church and pray in jeans and a t-shirt? Is God a snob?
Wearing "your Sunday best" isn't of God, it's of man - and a worthless attempt to show how well you are doing and perhaps (PERHAPS, somehow...) also how much you love God, but again - is God impressed with clothes and uniforms, jewelry and beautiful hair?
I think James T. Kirk said it best when he blurted out: "What does God need with a starship?"

God said it best here:

"My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim that you have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people more than others? For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes. If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, 'You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor'—well, doesn't this discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives?...

"Yes indeed, it is good when you truly obey our Lord's royal command found in the Scriptures: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you pay special attention to the rich, you are committing sin, for you are guilty of breaking that law" (James 2:1-4, 8-9).

Maybe I've read this wrong my whole life, but as a Baptist youth director I told my kids that God did not care what they wore to church as He is no respecter of persons. That's what the Bible says and what Baptists claim to believe. About a month later, after telling some kids that there weren't any good movies out there for Christians, some of the little snots lied and told their parents I said they couldn't go to the movies anymore. Yes, it was absurd, but the parents didn't like a truth-teller and they saw this as the way to have me fired. They wanted someone who was only about fun and kept his mouth shut about important things. They wanted the truth sugar-coated so their kids could continue in the ways of sin. Sugar coating things was just not me and a few months later I was subtly and quietly asked to resign.

The truth is more important than our human customs and humanistic, shallow, superficial beliefs. In church culture, we accept more of the traditions about clothing than we do the Word of God (Mark 7:8). My .02

Last edited:

Madman

I have heard it said by some that God does not care how you present yourself to him as long as you are there. I have yet to find that theology in Holy Scripture, and I believe God deserves better.

What can God require of us that we could possibly provide Him? Do you think He looks down on people who come to church and pray in jeans and a t-shirt? Is God a snob?
Wearing "your Sunday best" isn't of God, it's of man - and a worthless attempt to show how well you are doing and perhaps (PERHAPS, somehow...) also how much you love God, but again - is God impressed with clothes and uniforms, jewelry and beautiful hair?
I think James T. Kirk said it best when he blurted out: "What does God need with a starship?"

God said it best here:

"My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim that you have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people more than others? For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes. If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, 'You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor'—well, doesn't this discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives?...

"Yes indeed, it is good when you truly obey our Lord's royal command found in the Scriptures: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you pay special attention to the rich, you are committing sin, for you are guilty of breaking that law" (James 2:1-4, 8-9).

Maybe I've read this wrong my whole life, but as a Baptist youth director I told my kids that God did not care what they wore to church as He is no respecter of persons. That's what the Bible says and what Baptists claim to believe. About a month later, after telling some kids that there weren't any good movies out there for Christians, some of the little snots lied and told their parents I said they couldn't go to the movies anymore. Yes, it was absurd, but the parents didn't like a truth-teller and they saw this as the way to have me fired. They wanted someone who was only about fun and kept his mouth shut about important things. They wanted the truth sugar-coated so their kids could continue in the ways of sin. Sugar coating things was just not me and a few months later I was subtly and quietly asked to resign.

The truth is more important than our human customs and humanistic, shallow, superficial beliefs. In church culture, we accept more of the traditions about clothing than we do the Word of God (Mark 7:8). My .02
Did you read what I wrote?

BTW. God did not write what you attribute to His pen.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My understanding is the Catholic services were still in Latin at the time of reformation. The Arch Bishop of Canterbury had the sacraments converted to English and revised to include key Protestant principles. The KJV was not commissioned for another 50 years. The Book of Common Prayer preceded the KJV for use in administering the sacraments.

Further, the current KJV has been edited to eliminate the books of the Apocrypha, the original KJV contained these books.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's mostly the influence of the KJB. Most of us have never heard that style of speech in everyday life except in the Bible (unless you go to a lot of Shakespeare plays,) so I think most folks ascribe that style of speech to religious texts and rituals, and unconciously see it as a means of respect and separating religious practices from day-to-day interactions. I doubt if the Lord cares much one way or the other.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have listened to a lot of preachers and people praying at church and other functions, and a lot of these southern born and bred good Christian folk, when they are praying out loud, pray by speaking in old English words. Something like

Oh God, we beseech thee, that thou mayest grant our humble request.

I wonder if folk think that God only understands Old English, or that it is somehow more holy or reverent to speak that way?

It's still pretty common among the older preachers. I think they do it because they think it makes them sound more "official" or learned.