Once Upon a Flathead

olcaptain

Once upon a time there was a self-proclaimed Ol Captain who lived along the banks of Crooked Creek in middle Georgia. He was a tall older gentleman who was approaching his 49th wedding anniversary as well as his 70th birthday. But he was still a barefooted boy at heart. Almost daily he could be found running trail cameras, fishing or simply paddling his canoe up and down these beloved waters.

One recent afternoon he decided he would bait up three rods with live Bream if he could catch them before his 9:00 PM bedtime and get up early the next morning to see if anything rose to the bait. He knew from experience that large Cats would often leave the lake at night in the summertime and come into the creek to feed. He knew this because he and his brother both had brought some Flatheads in the high teens to hand in the past. The Ol Captain was a simple man who fished with simple tools. He loved his old Ugly Stick Rods and Ambassador reels. He spooled them with 20 Trilene Big Game mono and for his money he could hopefully land most anything he would ever hang in Crooked Creek.

After rising early, the tall man slipped quietly down to the dock almost forgetting that he had baited up three poles the night before. His plan this morning was to fish a Rooster Tail up the creek and check his Trail cameras on the way back home. That is when he was distracted! One of the rods was pointing in an awkward angle and as he looked at his reel, he saw that he’d been spooled except for a wrap or two around the old black spool!

IMG_0267.jpg

As he lifted the rod and pulled a bit, he noticed movement on the water about 40 yards downstream from his dock. After putting his net in place, the wise Ol Captain began to slowly retrieve his line. It was a battle for a while. Finally, the 286 lb man whipped the almost 30 lb Flathead Cat and brought him to the net!

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

After a few photos and thanking God once again for his blessings, “Jonah” released the whale back into the creek to fight another day. All of this happened before 7:30 AM so the Ol Captain knew that this was going to be a day for the books!

The End

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Once upon a time there lived a self-proclaimed Ol Captain who lived along the banks of Crooked Creek in middle Georgia. He was a tall older gentleman who was approaching his 49th wedding anniversary as well as his 70th birthday. But he was still a barefooted boy at heart. Almost daily he could be found running trail cameras, fishing or simply paddling his canoe up and down these beloved waters.

One recent afternoon he decided he would bait up three rods with live Bream if he could catch them before his 9:00 PM bedtime and get up early the next morning to see if anything rose to the bait. He knew from experience that large Cats would often leave the lake at night in the summertime and come into the creek to feed. He knew this because he and his brother both had brought some Flatheads in the high teens to hand in the past. The Ol Captain was a simple man who fished with simple tools. He loved his old Ugly Stick Rods and Ambassador reels. He spooled them with 20 Trilene Big Game mono and for his money he could hopefully land most anything he would ever hang in Crooked Creek.

After rising early, the tall man slipped quietly down to the dock almost forgetting that he had baited up three poles the night before. His plan this morning was to fish a Rooster Tail up the creek and check his Trail cameras on the way back home. That is when he was distracted! One of the rods was pointing in an awkward angle and as he looked at his reel, he saw that he’d been spooled except for a wrap or two around the old black spool!

View attachment 1157709

As he lifted the rod and pulled a bit, he noticed movement on the water about 40 yards downstream from his dock. After putting his net in place, the wise Ol Captain began to slowly retrieve his line. It was a battle for a while. Finally, the 286 lb man whipped the almost 30 lb Flathead Cat and brought him to the net!

View attachment 1157710

View attachment 1157711

View attachment 1157712

View attachment 1157713

After a few photos and thanking God once again for his blessings, “Jonah” released the whale back into the creek to fight another day. All of this happened before 7:30 AM so the Ol Captain knew that this was going to be a day for the books!

The End
Don’t be posting about turning hand size bream back please, I don’t think I could take it!

ghadarits

Nice catch, I like it when a plan comes to fruition. I bet that was a heck of a battle from a stationary dock!

Redbow

Good eating and a good fight with one of those bigguns. I put them back as well I had much rather deal with the smaller fish. I look at it like a fish that size has earned its freedom. Good catch olcaptain.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Mr Horace if you love catching bream up the creek, you may want to eat a few of those flatheads

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is a sho-nuff nice'un!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks for the post! What is a good "eating size" flathead. How do they compare with channels and blues as far as taste?
Flatheads may be the only fish that the bigger the better to me . They don’t have the same rib / belly bones as other catfish . The belly meat is a big ol filet of boneless goodness . Try one , you want be disappointed .

greg j

Big ole fish like that probably don't taste as good as a small one. Good on you for letting him go and possibly giving someone else a thrill down the line.

Latest posts