one year's finds from "the field that never disappoints"

walkinboss01

Very nice collection

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
What you have there is a multi-cultural site, spanning from the Paleo to the Woodland Periods, near as I can see the points. That Paleo is nice. Dalton?

oppthepop

What you have there is a multi-cultural site, spanning from the Paleo to the Woodland Periods, near as I can see the points. That Paleo is nice. Dalton?
Nic - I'm not sure but I do think so. This isn't everything from that one place but most of what I had in one basket. I can literally go there RIGHT NOW even with the field planted in brassica for the deer, and pick up at least a broken point. What's so intriguing to me is that both of my biggest deer, taken this season to boot (my avatar) came from this same field. The dirt in one of the field is as black as Illinois soil and I would bet was a long standing campfire spot. A major creek drainage is only a few yards away. It's a classic camp site. I have often thought I would do a deeper dig to see what I could find, but have not yet.

Fletch_W

Banned
There was/is a place like that in Kentucky where my dad lived in his early youth. He said there were so many arrowheads you could close your eyes and just pick up a handful of random dirt and there was some kind of artifact. There were so many that the kids didn't even think of them as special, they might as well have been pine cones.

I know one spot in Cobb that is almost that good, but not quite. you have to look around a little. Public access too.

ghadarits

Good gracious! That’s a great spot. Keep it a secret.

AceOfTheBase

Well done.
Spent my childhood looking at the ground, hoping for just one of those - never happened. We lived in the country and a 5 min walk put me in a likely spot.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Very nice collection

When i was a kid and when the lake was down. My grandmother would take me to a spot that had hundreds of worked and broken pieces. I never found a intact point there.

Anvil Head

"I know one spot in Cobb that is almost that good, but not quite. you have to look around a little. Public access too."
Used to know several (well still know where they are), but most have empty warehouses built on top of them now - graded filled and covered. Several points on 'Toona were good for artifacts, but Corpse of Egg will ticket you if they catch you picking up any. Trash cleanup days used to be a lot of fun at winter pool levels, now not so much.