Opinions?

paulito

I have made by with my 2200 watt ryobi inverter type generator for a number of years now. It will run both my fridge and frfeeze during power outages and we can charge stuff liek phones and what not.

Got a used predator 3500 this year whihc shoudl allow me to run a bit more including my portable AC which i use for my deer camp setup.

Going portable i think is the way to go because i use the small ryobi in all kinds of places, including tailgating. Sure it woudl be nice to have whole house set up to run HVAC but just more versitile choice in my opinion to go portable seeming as we are rarely out of power in my area for more than a day.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm seriously thinking about installing a whole house Generac in our home. Looks to be around 8000.00 installed for a 2000 sq ft or less per their website.
If you can get it for 8 K go for it. Whole house standby starts at 12K around here, with a few weeks to get your unit delivered.

DannyW

I`m glad he will live. I wonder why they were working on lines that were not grounded though? That would have saved him from this.
Not sure. Things of an electrical nature are not my strongest skill-set.

His attitude has been amazing. Instead of throwing a pity party, he is as cheerful as ever. Could be because he will never have to work again...know nothing about his compensation, not polite to ask, but I imagine it was a hefty chunk.

MOTS

If you can get it for 8 K go for it. Whole house standby starts at 12K around here, with a few weeks to get your unit delivered.
I'm sure you are right. This quote was from their website which also had a dealer locator selector on it. That's where the other 4 grand would come in...lol

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm sure you are right. This quote was from their website which also had a dealer locator selector on it. That's where the other 4 grand would come in...lol
Just FYI, my neighbor is an electrical contractor. His crew wired my current setup. He quoted 12K, 15 K if you have multiple large HVAC units. Plus you’ll need to install an in ground propane tank if you don’t have one already.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I have that exact model Wen 11k. I bought the duel fuel. I have the same cross over as @Ruger#3. I have 2 40 gallon lp tanks that I run it off of. It is highly advisable to run it every month or two to make sure it is running right. I like the Wen alot. The only reason I bought the duel was that to be storing alot of gas cans. In the face of a storm alot of people will be running for gas. Line is much shorter for lp.
View attachment 1251856
I'm leaning toward this one.
I didn't realize it was dual fuel.
Is it fairly quiet running?

kayaksteve

Generac makes a device called a generlink. It’s a collar that goes between your meter base and meter with a cord and plug for your portable generator. It has an auto transfer switch that switches over as soon as you plug in your portable generator. They seem to run around +~$700 from the people I’ve talked to. We do a lot of cut loose and meter pulls for people to install them. It takes about 5 minutes to install, you just have to schedule for your power company to come de-energize your service. I’m not sure if all power companies allow them though.

hopper

I had it wired for about a grand, parts included. Everything in the small panel can be powered off the generator. The small panel is normal powered by the main feed. When you throw the linked breakers the main is disconnected and the 50 amp outlet connected. Unless you install an auto switched generac it’s about as simple a backup as you can get.

Give me a shout if you have questions or want other pics.
Do you just call around to any ol electrician or is it a specialized install. Been wanting to do that for awhile.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Do you just call around to any ol electrician or is it a specialized install. Been wanting to do that for awhile.
Any commercial electrician should be able. Show them the pics he’ll understand what you want. They don’t even pull the meter to do this. You lose circuits a few minutes as they move them from the main box to the backup box. PM me again where you’re at. If close enough I’ll give you my neighbors work number.

snooker1

I had one that I used during hurricanes. I would put a window ac unit in and run window ac, refrigerator, freezer, coffee pot, and some lights. It worked but the hassle of keeping it gased up was a pain. I upgraded to this one. Runs the entire house, I have a 500 gallon propane tank in the ground. I have run my entire house for 8 days on 60% of the tank. Well worth the investment in my opinion. When the power goes out this thing takes off in 5 seconds.

Attachments

• 20230904_173645.jpg
    20230904_173645.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230904_173621.jpg
    20230904_173621.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 13

Core Lokt

I have a 20KW LP Cummings Best $$ I have ever spent and don't have to lug it around when needed. Comes on and goes off on its own. I bought it for $5,300 and paid my SIL 200 to install it. Runs everything.

Before we built our house 4 yrs ago I did the portable thing and it worked but took some work. Especially when flooding outside.

Here is where I bought it from

Core Lokt

I have a 20KW LP Cummings Best $$ I have ever spent and don't have to lug it around when needed. Comes on and goes off on its own. I bought it for $5,300 and paid my SIL 200 to install it. Runs everything.

Before we built our house 4 yrs ago I did the portable thing and it worked but took some work. Especially when flooding outside.

IMG_0795.jpeg

turkeykirk

I wired an outdoor 50amp generator plug to a 30 amp double breaker in my main pannel. Installed a generator interlock switch. You can only turn the generator breaker on if you turn the main breaker off. Then turn off the circuits you don’t want to use. So far my Caterpillar 7500 portable generator has powered all that I need.IMG_8034.jpeg

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Generac manufacturer……good brand. We partner with them and move about 500 whole house / chicken house units per year.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I'm leaning toward this one.
I didn't realize it was dual fuel.
Is it fairly quiet running?
Most top brands are dual fuel now so they can compete with energy sources.

I’ll shoot you a pm in a few.

Baroque Brass

Just FYI, my neighbor is an electrical contractor. His crew wired my current setup. He quoted 12K, 15 K if you have multiple large HVAC units. Plus you’ll need to install an in ground propane tank if you don’t have one already.
The LP tank can be above ground, usually at least a 250 gallon to get some run time on the generator. Average consumption is about four gallons per hour, depending on load. We were out for a week after Michael, I manually cycled my generator to save fuel. If you have natural gas available, that’s a huge plus. There is less energy in natural gas, so a generator won’t deliver full rated power on natural gas but it’s cheaper per therm than LP and you don’t have to worry about running out.

Baroque Brass

I got mine from Norwall and got free shipping. The electrician wired the transfer switch when the house was being built and I installed the generator and connected to the transfer switch. It’s nice that everything is automatic.

Baroque Brass

I do site surveys for a friend that’s a Kohler whole house generator dealer. If you’re in the Thomas County area, shoot me a PM, I’ll be glad to talk with you.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I do site surveys for a friend that’s a Kohler whole house generator dealer. If you’re in the Thomas County area, shoot me a PM, I’ll be glad to talk with you.
I'm in Flarda. About 2 hours from Thomasville.

Baroque Brass

I'm in Flarda. About 2 hours from Thomasville.
He confines the generator work to the Thomasville/Tallahassee area. He doesn’t have the manpower to get too spread out.