Roof questions

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Might be replacing a shingle roof.
What's the pros/cons of staying with shingles, metal that looks like shingles, or metal???
Heard some say metal interferes with cell service. Thanks

Deerhead

Asphalt shingles are quieter. But there is nothing like sleeping under a metal roof when its raining. Yes I have had experiences where metal roof interferes with cell reception.

Havana Dude

I did metal on mine, well, paid to have it done. Standing seam, I’ll never have to worry about another roof, nor will my kids. At the time, it was about 25% more than shingles, I have no idea now, but glad I did it. We have no cell issues at all, excellent reception.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Re-roofed last year.
Asked the same questions you are.

Metal was 52% more than 30 year architectural shingles with zero deductible from insurance for replacement.

At 67, I wouldn't see the benefit of metal on this side of the sod.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you go with external screw down metal you need 2x4 stripping for proper attachment for a screw down metal roof.
The screw down metal also needs the screws to be " tightened" every 5 years or so.
Life of the metal will be longer. The cons are the retightening of screws.Have to still clean any debris of roof either way.Repairs from a limb falling thru the roof is something to think about also.15 years from now if you replace a pc of metal ,will the non color match bother you vs shingles.
Most shingles can have up to a 25 year life span.(mine have been on for 15 and starting to see gravel coming off.)
I would compare a complete job for shingles vs metal.
MAKE sure the gauge of metal is in the quote.

GeorgiaBob

Pros - lasts longer, less susceptible to storm damage, less likely to leak when installed properly.

Cons - costs 1.5 to 2 times more, noisier than asphalt shingle, may require additional support in an older home, may need additional insulation under the roof (metal transfers a lot of heat into the attic space)

Aluminum shingles come in a lot of different designs and can look just like wood shake, or clay tile, or slate, or ordinary shingle. They can be very attractive. There are even aluminum shingles designed to be installed with insulating tiles that significantly reduce the need for additional insulation in the attic. Those can cost a pretty bundle!

A tin roof looks like a tin roof. But the new metal compounds and coatings mean they will last a lot longer. They still cost more than asphalt shingle - but think of the magic rumbling roar of rain on a tin roof!(y)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my heating and cooling went down considerably when I put a metal roof on my house. We stripped it out with 2 x 4 anchored thru the decking and to the rafters, and then screwed the metal to the 2 x 4s. When we sealed up the ends and edges with metal trim, it created a dead air space just like insulation. YMMV

Wouldn't trade my metal roof for 2 shingle ones

normaldave

GON Weatherman
my heating and cooling went down considerably when I put a metal roof on my house. We stripped it out with 2 x 4 anchored thru the decking and to the rafters, and then screwed the metal to the 2 x 4s. When we sealed up the ends and edges with metal trim, it created a dead air space just like insulation. YMMV

X2. (too).

Was sure glad to have our 26 gauge metal roof during this last storm, (as well as all the ones before it). I was disappointed how quiet it was after install, but I do enjoy hearing the rain come in if I'm outside. That's the only time I can hear it hit the roof. It's actually quieter than with shingles. We've enjoyed better climate control as well. We were permitted to install over our single layer of shingles, with new moisture barrier, anchored wood, proper screws installed. It's nice to see the big ridge vents working all seasons.

I think the surprise bonus is that it completely changed the look of the house. Our 1930's 4 room house with add-ons now looks more like a farm house. Valspar Charcoal Grey 40 year.
WP_20180504_16_30_37_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

K80Shooter

I did the same as Pappy except I also had 1" thick styrofoam laid down.

Both my heating and cooling bill's were cheaper than before.

As for cell service, mine was poor "Before" the roof was installed and was useless after the roof install. I had to install a system to catch the outside signal and rebroadcast/boost it inside the house. Works great now.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Also, think about sky lights, roof vents, and other openings don't do well with metal roofing.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I have a metal roof, no complaints. Cell signal is good. I’ll take it over a shingle roof all day long, especially if you have a low pitch roof. They will stain though, mines due for a cleaning now.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have a metal roof, no complaints. Cell signal is good. I’ll take it over a shingle roof all day long, especially if you have a low pitch roof. They will stain though, mines due for a cleaning now.
Any type debris on a metal roof is bad for the finish. oak leaves are worse than pine needles.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Any type debris on a metal roof is bad for the finish. oak leaves are worse than pine needles.
Yessir, it’s a battle to keep it clean. I’ve got pines, oaks and pecan trees that make daily roof deposits.

Redbow

We thought about a metal roof when the time came to replace our shingles but, shingles 8500 bucks, metal roofing 19k. We went with shingles and had the two dormers removed because they leaked every time it rained.

Oldstick

That the one negative I have noticed on a neighbor's house with metal. It's a beautiful roof with a silver-grayish shiny color. But the residue from leaves is very noticeable vs. the untouched areas.