Welder/welding question

TJay

I've been wanting to have a grill grate made for my firepit. I just don't know if a shop would do a small job like that and what it would cost? Many years ago I hunted with a bunch of guys and we had a free standing grate, somewhat like a small table with four legs and expanding metal on top. We grilled a lot of meat and chicken on that thing and I was hoping to maybe get one made like that. Or should I just look for something commercial? Not likely I would use it a whole lot.

TJay

Yes like that only a little bigger. The one you reference that swings back and forth would be good, but I'd have to figure a way to remove it as I burn a lot of brush in that pit.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My buddy had something similar to what you are wanting, accept it was solid steel instead of expanded metal. It worked awesome. One thing we both figured would be better the next time would be to make it out of stainless instead.

bany

If you could find a fella that did a fair amount of stainless work his scrap/spare pile might make ya an almost lifetime piece that would be worth the extra $. Or maybe not even extra $

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think y’all are on opposite sides of the state but I bet @Blackston could give you an idea on price

Blackston

I've been wanting to have a grill grate made for my firepit. I just don't know if a shop would do a small job like that and what it would cost? Many years ago I hunted with a bunch of guys and we had a free standing grate, somewhat like a small table with four legs and expanding metal on top. We grilled a lot of meat and chicken on that thing and I was hoping to maybe get one made like that. Or should I just look for something commercial? Not likely I would use it a whole lot.
So ya want a ring that has an inside diameter a little larger than outside diameter of your pit ? Then covered with expanded metal ? Should be easy for any “ job “shop …. You’ll know one when ya see one ( they are usually pretty cluttered) Shouldn’t take more than 1.5 hours and 40$ ( at most in materials) …. So basically under 200 and that’s on the high side probably closer 150 ….. That what I’d do it for ….. but I’m sure there are lots of opinions ( steel and labor are high just like everything else )