Roof questions

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That the one negative I have noticed on a neighbor's house with metal. It's a beautiful roof with a silver-grayish shiny color. But the residue from leaves is very noticeable vs. the untouched areas.
Metal is like shingles......debris will kill a roof quickly.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The only place leaves stay on the roof for us is at the Seminole cabin. The metal roof is green and it does catch a lot of cypress needles, mainly in the Fall when they shed. Cypress is near about as gummy as pine but they don`t seem to stain the roof.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My house has had the same tin roof since the 40s-50s. Never leaked or had problems. Same with my outbuilding.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
me too. no issues with them at all
Mine leak, had a guy 'fix them twice' paid him both times, Seen him at HD one day and told him hey they still leaking. Haven't seen him, that was 6 months ago

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We thought about a metal roof when the time came to replace our shingles but, shingles 8500 bucks, metal roofing 19k. We went with shingles and had the two dormers removed because they leaked every time it rained.
Except you'll be replacing those shingles over and over, especially where you live in hurricane central. That metal roof is there to stay.

killerv

If you go with external screw down metal you need 2x4 stripping for proper attachment for a screw down metal roof.
The screw down metal also needs the screws to be " tightened" every 5 years or so.
Life of the metal will be longer. The cons are the retightening of screws.Have to still clean any debris of roof either way.Repairs from a limb falling thru the roof is something to think about also.15 years from now if you replace a pc of metal ,will the non color match bother you vs shingles.
Most shingles can have up to a 25 year life span.(mine have been on for 15 and starting to see gravel coming off.)
I would compare a complete job for shingles vs metal.
MAKE sure the gauge of metal is in the quote.
You can't really walk on one with the firing strips underneath

Not only do you have to retighten screws, you may have to replace them and then you are stuck with plugging the old hole so you can do a nice new self tap with the new screw. The rubber sealing everything dries out also causing leaks, not just loose screws.

And they fade, and if you need to replace a piece down the road, odds are it wont match

georgia_home

just make sure you have a good installer. that's true with either.

a friend had a beautiful house built, with the intention of a metal roof.

after 2!!!! yes 2!!!! install attempts and bad contractors doing the metal, and complaints to the metal roof manufacturer, they now have a shingle roof on their dream house.

good contractors are hard to find. be careful

Redbow

Except you'll be replacing those shingles over and over, especially where you live in hurricane central. That metal roof is there to stay.
Don't think metal roofs do not get damaged by a bad Hurricane here, they do..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't think metal roofs do not get damaged by a bad Hurricane here, they do..
I doubt if anything's safe from a hurricane.

Redbow

I imagine hail can have a good time with them too.
If the hail is big enough I agree with you. But a metal roof is harder to fix than a shingle roof IMO when high wind damage comes. I'll stick with shingles I don't have much longer at my age to worry about it anyway.

B. White

Don't know much about either, but last house I was in for 28 yrs and had shingles replaced after 20 or so. Current house has a metal roof. Not sure what year it was installed, but already had one boot dry rot and replaced since I have been here. Every expert that has been around and looked said it is not properly installed, but we will see over time. That comment probably helped me a lot when buying. I saved enough over today's house prices to deal with it when I need to. I'm guessing it is 15-20 yo minimum.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Don't know much about either, but last house I was in for 28 yrs and had shingles replaced after 20 or so. Current house has a metal roof. Not sure what year it was installed, but already had one boot dry rot and replaced since I have been here. Every expert that has been around and looked said it is not properly installed, but we will see over time. That comment probably helped me a lot when buying. I saved enough over today's house prices to deal with it when I need to. I'm guessing it is 15-20 yo minimum.
It looks funny,but I put a second boot over my vent caps so the sun and heat didn,t destroy the real one that was sealed to the metal roof.

Redbow

Properly installed I will take metal over shingles all day long.
That is the problem getting someone who will install the metal roof properly but there are many contractors out there who will not they simply don't care all they want is your money. But its the same with shingle roofers also doing shoddy work is the norm for many of them.