Optima - Blackhorn209 - Thors

F

FrontierGander

My order of Thors came in today and perfect timing! I first shot 3 shots @ 100 yards with the 245gr powerbelt with 90gr BH209. Same group as yesterday, only i think i tightened it up a bit since then. Talk about consistent!
#2 shot is the lowest,
000_0883.jpg

Now with the 250gr ballistic tip Thors, i also used 90gr BH209. The second shot is the highest/Left shot. For some reason this rifle always has the #2 open up, I am thinking it is due to Barrel Heat up. The next 2 are in that big hole that opened up.
000_0885.jpg

Went back to the house to reload my powder tubes and brought it back out. Again! #2 is the highest to the left. Shots 1 & 3 again are touching like the last time.
000_0889.jpg

Later this evening i am going back out again when it is cooler. I'll up my charge to 100gr BH209 and see how it does.

000_0886.jpg

000_0887.jpg

F

FrontierGander

It doesnt throw it anymore with 100gr BH209!
This group is slightly under 1"
000_0890.jpg

creation's_cause

FG: Good report and nice shooting. What range were shooting at? Are you planning to chronograph the loads? I am really wanting to get the chrono out and shoot some of my Hornady SSTs through it and seeing these results, you are providing some motivation for me. Thanks for the post!

F

FrontierGander

100 yards. Have not Chrono'ed the loads. I know someone with one of those, so maybe this summer i can borrow it and get that kind of data going.

F

FrontierGander

just found the info. But with 100gr T7 2F, BH209 shoots slightly faster than T7, the bullet is doing a little over 1,950fps. With 120, it will do over 2,000fps.

TJay

Hey Frotier Gander, are the Thors Colorado legal? I suppose they are since you're shooting them....

F

FrontierGander

Yes the Thors in all weights are legal in colorado.

Shortgo, This Optima can only used a muzzleloader barrel. I believe you are thinking of the CVA Apex that can use either muzzy,shotgun or centerfire. I have one of those too but just a 30-06 barrel for now, And it is Accurate.

R

redneckcamo

that looks like some great shootin to me ....and aughta make about any big game DRT !! :);)

dont the optima pro and optima elite interchange barrels tho ??

F

FrontierGander

The old optima pro you could use a black powder shotgun barrel. The Elite could use BP/Centerfire ammo. The older models have been discontinued and the Elite was replaced with the Apex. They just upgraded the Optima for looks/barral quality and especially trigger quality improvements.

110gr BH209 with the 250gr Thor is doing close to 2,100fps. I just got a chrono and am playing :D