• Wear it all the time

Votes: 84 69.4%
  • Don't wear it at all

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Orange in the stand

How many people wear their orange vest to the stand, and then take it off? I wear mine all of the time while hunting weather up the tree or down cause it's the law. I wouldn’t mind seeing that changed though. I think it is kind of silly to wear orange 30 feet up a pine. I guess if you were hunting in the mountains where you could be at eye level for someone on top of a hill it makes sense. I was just thinking about this in my stand this morning.

Last edited:

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
I usually take it off when I get on stand, not really sure why though as it doesnt bother the deer... The only time I wear it in the stand is when Im on public land or Im hunting near the property line at the club..

SADDADDY

I wear mine all the time

I use to take mine off once I got settled in high off the ground, but once I had a few children I payed a little more attention to saftey issues, for myself so my kids would have a daddy to come home to :fine:

I have not seen any cases where orange played any difference when deer spotted me in a stand, I have harvested just as many deer wearing orange as not, so why not be safe while doing something you enjoy.

it really isn't me I am worried about it is other hunters that I want to make every possible effort to let them know I am there and can be clearly seen, on the ground or 30' in a tree.

keep safe :flag:

willhunt

I never take mine off. I used to once I was up a tree but one time saw another hunter across a deep hollow glassing my way. We were about 200 yds. apart but I was down the hill some on my side so I was at eye level to him. I got that vest back on in a hurry!!!

wh

littlewolf

When it comes to safety, I normally trust myself but not others.

I usually take my orange off once on stand, unless I'm in a situtation that might put me at eye level w/someone higher up. I agree with Saddaddy - when my son is old enough to go with me I 'll follow the strict letter of the law and I will lead by example. No exceptions. I do know the rules and so will he, and when he's on his own as an adult he can make his own judgement just as we all do. I think it really depends on the situation. If I'm just driving to my neighbors house, I'll likely skip the seat belt. But if I have to get out of the subdivision it's going on.

Outdoor-Writer07

Always Wear It....

I always wear my orange to and from the stand and while on the stand. I sometimes catch myself wearing it to the local cafe after hunting. :bounce:

Arrow Flinger

I use to take mine off but 9 years ago, I started having a young'un sitting with me and it has stayed on every since. I can't tell my Son to do something that I don't do.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I've said it before, I think some game laws are made so some lawmakers will actually have something to do.

But, I wear my orange all the time. I don't mess around with my personal safety one bit. I've had deer bust me during bowseason with no orange about as much as deer bust me with orange on during gun season. Not many times.

They can't see it. They can but it's not blazing orange. More of a grey color. Deer however can see the color blue very well, actually more vividly than we see it. So I wouldn't wear any blue in the woods. My buddy used to wear a blue turtle neck when it got cold. Deer saw him quite a bit in the stand and he couldn't figure it out. I finally found an article by a biologist talking about what deer can and don't see color wise. The article was very informative. By buddy didn't wear that blue turtle neck any more!!

Tommy

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
ALL THE TIME last season I was in huntnut's camo tower stand located at the back of a cutover when I heard a loud truck hot rodding way out at the road when I looked out the rear window I saw a Ford f-150 come flying out in the edge of the cutover the driver jumped out an laid a scoped rifle over the door and started checking the cutover out . I started waving the bottom of my vest out the window as I watched with my binoculars I saw the passanger point at me and dropped below the dash the driver got back in and backed out of sight and hauled you know what out of the area :speechles :speechles :speechles never take it off it's not worth your life the rest of last year if I hunted h'nuts tower I took an extra vest and tied it to the back of the stand

Duramax

Its is the law to wear it, and the boys will bust you if you dont have it on while sitting on or in the stand. Had this happen on our lease a few yrs back!

Duramax

D

dave

I wear blaze orange

All the time while deer gun hunting, scouting, retrieving down deer.

I figure it's cheap insurance against unnecessary injury, and it's the law while gun/smokepole hunting.

I also refuse to hunt with a person that doesn't wear it while hunting. If they think that little of their own safety, imagine how little they care about your safety. :eek: :eek: :eek:

H

HT2

Orange....

I wear it all the time.....

Except while I'm in the stand......

I ain't wearin' it in the stand.......I just ain't.....

I have my reasons, which a lot of ya'll don't agree with.....And, that's alright.....

Am I breakin' the law.........I guess that makes me a bad person....... :eek: ;)

UWGduck

Depends on where I am hunting but be sure to wear it retrieveing downed game. It was hot last year and I was dragging a doe out in shorts and a red t shirt and got a warning from a GW for not wearing it. I didn't have a gun or bow. I never knew you had to have it on retrieveing game but thats the law.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
UWGduck?!?!

A woman hanging clothes on the line a few years back in Wisconsin, if memory serves, was shot by an idiot. He said he thought her white gloves were a deers tail.

He shot her because he thought her gloves was a deer & you don't think an idiot will think the deer you are dragging is something they should shoot?!?!?

Personally, I ain't taking mine off! As a matter of fact, I have a orange hat I wear as well.

500 sq. inches is the law but good grief! It's just common sense!

Jeff Phillips

From my camper porch, throughout the hunt, and back to my camper porch! I never take it off unless I am adding or removing a layer of clothes.

I wear it in Alabama with my orange hat too.

I see no reason not to wear it.

Do ya'll that go to the trouble to remove it when you are 30' up a tree think it makes a difference? ::huh: