Our First Hunt

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Took my son on his very first deer hunt this afternoon. Went to the club in Morgan C. and had the place to ourselves.

We shot targets and some pumpkins with the bb gun, .22, and I capped off some rounds with the .243 on a couple of pumpkins.

Decided to take Lane up on top of a ridge to look down over a big creek bottom. The ridge was raped when they clearcut the property, so I figured I'd find a tree, we'd sit on the ground, and I'd knock us down a shooting lane. Nothing but dead horseweed and dog fennel. We hiked in and got set up.

It was a little after 3pm. Lane was going through his snacks pretty dang fast and I was actually surprised how quiet he was. He always whispered and moved very slowly without me telling him. Well... He finally got bored around 4pm..:p The only game I have loaded on my iphone is candy crush. That is on purpose. Figured he'd play a little, mess up, then have to wait 10 or so minutes before it would let him play again.

Well... He went straight to level 12............ But... I told him to play some, then scan his surroundings every now and then.. He did. He'd put it down, look around, point out a bird or squirrel, then back at it.

He finally had to put it down. lol. Well... I looked over my left shoulder and standing on the opposite ridge is a deer. Then another, another, and another. I nudged him and told him to get ready there were deer. He leaned around me and pointed at them....!!!! "I see them Daddy!!" It wasn't a scream, but not a whisper! The lead doe had already got behind some thick stuff, and the 2nd in line was staring right at us...

I told the boy to hold his ears, he did, I lined the crosshairs up and the .243 barked! She was facing us and she jumped 10ft in the air, turned and plowed back over the top of the ridge!!

He was hollering that I got her and we high fived and hugged one another!

Well... It was hard holding him back, but there were still 2 of them hanging around, so we watched them for a little while until they left. I let him go finally, and he was plowing through the thick stuff going to look for her. We found some blood and he did all the work. He followed it 50yds right to her! "I see some blood Dad, there's some more, I'm going to find her!" I just followed him chuckling the whole time.:)

We had a great time and couldn't be happier that we were on deer our very first sit together. Good rugged hunt too! He did stop one time and looked at me and said, "I think my legs are breaking Dad.." LOL! But, he handled it well.

And... Getting a deer out of the woods with a 6yr old in tow is an adventure to say the least! :rofl:

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Lane's First Hunt 1.jpg
    Lane's First Hunt 1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Lane's First Hunt 2.jpg
    Lane's First Hunt 2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Lane's First Hunt 3.jpg
    Lane's First Hunt 3.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,094

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's awesome, Tommy! Wonderful story and pics and I'm sure this was just a hint of the many great hunts with your son that lie ahead. Congrats!

tkyklr1

Congrats to you and your son. That's what it's all about right there.

DeoVindice

Enjoyed reading this. Watched my Dad take a doe when I was very young and was hooked from that moment on. I tracked it, found it, etc...Pretty much identical to this story. I never forgot it and neither will your son. Awesome day!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
He's hooked now! Congrats and great story.

Hawken2222

That's awesome Tommy Congrats on a great hunt. This is something you will both always remember.

deast1988

Awesome man, congrats!

emusmacker

Awesome hunt and story. Nothing like taking your son hunting with you. That is a hunt that both of you will always remember.

Worley

Deer

And that's the good stuff buddy! Daggum pictures are amazing, I had a quite a time reading and enjoying the field photos. Well done fellas, that is awesome.:clap:

DSGB

Don't get much better than that!

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Great times for sure, congrats to you Tommy for exposing him to the outdoors, your a great Dad!