Over calling

Da Butcher

went to a public but I though not that well known spot for the opener and yes there were several groups. It seemed like everyone had a decent spot and we saw quite a few ducks. problem was the group on the boat called at everything that flew as soon as they saw them and never gave the birds a chance to work. They were actually on the X based on my scouting. It was a shame as the birds were interested but as soon as they started blowing the ducks split and I mean they blew like the ducks were 2 miles away. We had several groups interested in our spread but again the over calling flared them. the guys were decent callers but it was WAY too much. Really pretty standard stuff for public hunts I guess but I was just shocked these guys couldn't figure it out after all the birds kept flaring as soon as they started blowing. I'll never claim to be an expert but I hunt with a lot of guides and they really don't call that much and we kill ducks. word to the wise, let the birds work.

It's kind of like having shotgun shells and skybusting.

I didn't buy that call to just sit there and look at it.

Fishingchickenman

I was at Dyers pasture. The 2 that got close enough to shoot was the ones that I did the least amount of calling on. Another thing that I have noticed around here is birds tend to come in better the least amount of decoys you have too. It may just be me?

Da Butcher

Let me guess... Lanier?

You guessed it. I'm not really mad about it just surprised they didn't figure it out. It's a public spot so do what you got to do but the idea is to kill ducks. anyway, I'm glad the season's going. Got some bling in NC today.

georgiaboy

Good for you on the bling. I am seeing some scattered birds still and now that the opener is off I think there will be fewer hunters.

I also notice big spreads don't seem to work as well on these hard pressured small groups. I'm no expert but looking like everyone else never seems to work well for me.

little rascal

Ha,

see the same thing every year on a managed pond in Bama. There is always Mr. Stuttgart and crew over there blowing at every duck within a 2 mile radius, after a couple groups flare and someone else(who isn't calling) knocks a couple down, then the next group goes to someone else not calling, and so on, and so on, the idiots are still on the kuzu, just not getting it.:crazy: If it ain't working and everybody else around you is getting birds....Shut up!!! Just lay the pipe down and stop for goodness sakes! But on the other hand , Thank you Mr. Stuttgart, for sending those ducks over here!:clap:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You guessed it. I'm not really mad about it just surprised they didn't figure it out. It's a public spot so do what you got to do but the idea is to kill ducks. anyway, I'm glad the season's going. Got some bling in NC today.
keep us up to date.What kind of duck is it? We need more info.

Da Butcher

hen Mallard. weird kind of band, looks like she was banded in Rocky Mount, NC. I'm going to have to write into the PO Box on the band. She's a very old and pretty duck with a beak that was almost completely black. I think I'm going to put her on the wall with the band. We've had tough weather and not a lot of birds but the guide has done his job. almost had two swans today. man those things are B-52's. We'll be at it tomorrow. good luck to all you guys hunting this holiday - knock em down.