Overseed clover…or not

Washtub

We have a 1/4 acre Whitetail Institute clover plot that was planted last fall. Would you overseed this fall or leave just as clover?

I’ve heard the clover is not as attractive to the deer in the fall as it is in the summer…don’t know if this is true or not. Would it be beneficial to add some oats or wheat this fall?

What are y’all’s thoughts and opinions?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have a 1/4 acre Whitetail Institute clover plot that was planted last fall. Would you overseed this fall or leave just as clover?

I’ve heard the clover is not as attractive to the deer in the fall as it is in the summer…don’t know if this is true or not. Would it be beneficial to add some oats or wheat this fall?

What are y’all’s thoughts and opinions?

I plan to overseed my clover with wheat.
My thought is to do this and some other plantings the week of September 25.

TomC

I'd skip the oats and do cereal rye or winter wheat which will provide benefits though next spring and then control with herbicide. Will help the clover and the soil. Cereal rye will be a little more "ph" tolerant than wheat if you haven't had a soil test, both good choices!

Ihunt

Yes!

The wheat will probably do better than the oats if it is just broadcasted but the oats are more attractive.

Rye grain will germinate anywhere but is not as attractive as wheat or oats.

I would do wheat and go a little heavy. The wheat that takes will do well because of all of the nitrogen that the clover has put in the ground.