Overseeding food plots for late season

Jasper

The food plots on our club are probably like most due to the drought- pretty poor. The ones in low areas with some shade did OK - the rest not so good.

Here's my question. I'd like to overseed a couple of them to help out for the rest of the season. In years past a few of the members have hand spread turnip seed and it did great. If I can get it out before the rain we have supposedly coming in, what's the best way? Just toss out the seed? Does it need to be raked? Spread a little 10-10-10 at the same time? Any suggestions other than turnip seed?

Thanks!

gadeerwoman

Getting late for the turnips. They don't handle frost when germinating. You'd be better off tossing some wheat, arrowleaf clover or crimson clover this late in the game. Just use a hand spreader to overseed the barer spots. Frankly, I've very hesitant to fertilize right now. If we don't get some good rains that fertilizer may just do a number on what little I have left now. If we get some regular rains in another month or so, then I'll get some fertilizer out but right now I'm just holding off and praying for rains.

You might want to consider rye grass. While not a preferred food, deer will eat, and I suspect under current circumstances they will eat it sooner rather than later.

That is what we will be top seeding some small plots with this weekend.

gadeerwoman

Ryegrass can be the devil to get rid of if you ever let it go to seed. I never use even annual varieties in existing plot areas. I will use it only on little out of the way spots in heavily wooded areas. It grows so vigorously it can choke out other more desirable plants and then when it dies it leaves a dense mat on the ground. Rye grain is one thing, but rye grass is a beast better left used very sparingly.

Swarm

Ryegrass

Persistance can be a good trait if the ryegrass is highly desirable to deer and other wildlife. This is the case with the High Sugar Perennial Ryegrasses in Sweet Spot.

THREEJAYS

I have a plot that I have tried several things in and have had great luck drawing deer and watching them feed on rye grass so I know they will surely eat it.There are however no other plots anywhere close so it may have to do with that.

4wheeling4life

I am in the process of building a house. I have planted ryegrass in my front and back yard to help stop erosion. And dangit if the deer are not keeping in mowed down.

matthewsman

After we hunted today

After we hunted today,I put out 50 lbs of oats and 50 of rye grass on our plots..I figured if nothing else we'd have some fat birds in the area..Maybe the rain will do what I want it to_Our plots were dried out and dusty,the deer pounded them early,then the heat and lack of water finished them off...