Paradise PFA Visit Report

GA BASS ODYSSEY

I took a trip over to Paradise PFA the day before I left to go back overseas. Just wanted to wet a hook and check the place out as it has been a while since I have been there. First thing I noticed was GDNR was actively out and about doing their normal conservation stuff. They have built a nice area for their equipment and offices. A lot of work has been done and the place is a prime example of what can be done by the State when purchasing private lands for conservation. To me the place was absolutely stunning. I wondered around the place and most all the lakes have easy access with very nice ramps and parking. Docks are provided on the lakes next to the ramps to tie off on after launching. No problems putting in a 21 foot Nitro as I had seen one guy do. Nesting boxes for ducks and woodland birds have been set up everywhere. Roads are well maintained. Only thing I saw for improvement would be to add garbage cans to each dock area. This is the only place I notice trash being left behind. Guys cleaning out there boats after trailering them are forgetting their trash whether intentionally are just forgetting.

I checked out both the group and primitive camping sites (Fee required). The areas in the camping sites are clean and free of brush. Each campsite has a fire ring with grill rack that can be folded to the side. A pole with hook for hanging a gas or electric light is provided as well as a picnic table with attached benches. There is also a tent stand to place your tent in. One Campsite has well water that uses a hand pump. A Porta-Potty is also placed in the middle of the camping Area. The group camping area is huge and can accommodate several tents with the same accommodations as the primitive sight. This site has running water that requires no manual pumping. I will camp at the PFA when I get back for sure. NO RV Camping at this time.

The main public area at Lake Patrick is vast. They are several docks with two covered fishing docks. Sitting benches abound around the entire area. There is also a day shelter provided for events. The main Boat ramp is capable of duel launching and trailering. A third smaller ramp for Jon Boats is just west of the main ramp. It’s narrow but plenty big for small boats. There’s plenty of parking in this area as well. Several barbeque grills are dotting the area. A large bathroom is provided as well here. It is a very nice looking place, indeed.
Right now a big conservation program is going on within the PFA. Large tracks of Slash and Loblolly pine are being clear cut and thinned about 200 acres. This is being done to reestablish the long leaf pine in state forests. It’s a bit of an eyesore right now but worth it in the end to get these beautiful trees back where they belong.
Finally the fishing; I caught a few bream in several of the ponds on crickets and saw a few people catching them on Lake Patrick. Considering it was a work week day there were still a number of people and bass boats on the lakes. One lady was slaying shell crackers behind the CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored at Lake Bobbin. I threw a few bass lures around without catching a fish but it was the hottest day so far his year and I was there in the middle of the day under blue bird skies. For bass fishing, you really need to have a boat. You need to get to where the bass hide here. It is always been that way at Paradise for me. If any regulation differs from what is posted in the regulation book a sign is posted at each lake entrance letting you know about different rules that are in effect for that lake.
In conclusion the place is a beautiful example of our state conservation areas. It is worth a trip over there any time. Fishing can be a bit tenuous at times due to pressure on all the ponds and lakes. Bass fishing is good and bad at times. They are pressured hard but a good catch can be had by slowing down and doing some things different than most of your run of the day anglers. Bass fishing requires a boat for good success in my opinion. All you need is a fishing license or hunting license to enter. You no longer need the WMA stamp as it is now included with the new licensing fees. If you do not fish you can get a Georgia Land Pass for the same price as the fishing license. Makes sense just to get a fishing license.

Attachments

• paradise-pfa.jpg
    paradise-pfa.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 511
  • dock 1.jpg
    dock 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 32214802_1823179581072369_1738946122581278720_n.jpg
    32214802_1823179581072369_1738946122581278720_n.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 510
  • 32169736_1823179881072339_8252097558327853056_n.jpg
    32169736_1823179881072339_8252097558327853056_n.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 506
  • 31709930_1813738602016467_5467260408781864960_n.jpg
    31709930_1813738602016467_5467260408781864960_n.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 507

mdgmc84

Brings back some great memories, first place I found to fish when I moved to Tifton. I spent many days out there in my old jon boat fishing tacklebuster, horseshoe 4 and bobbin mostly. And bank fishing the Lily pads around Patrick.