Parents...don't let your 16 year old drink and drive

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
His dad is a known, prominent business owner...wealthy business owner... Until he's 18 he is the parents responsibility. If they can't handle him then they need to send him somewhere that can...

I'm pretty sure this isn't his first ever time he's violated his driver's license restrictions...let's see what he possibly violated. I believe some could have been mitigated by parents.

Class D Provisional License Conditions
WINNER! • No driving between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. No exceptions

Maybe? • During the first six months after issuance, no driving with passengers who are not
members of the driver’s immediate family;
Very possible. • For the second six month period, no driving with more than one passenger under the age
of 21 who is not a member of the driver’s immediate family;
Good on this one • After one year from the date of issuance, no more than three passengers under the age of
21 who are not members of the driver’s immediate family.

No let's look at the parent's responsibilities:

The Parents’ Role in the Young Driver’s Licensing Process

• Control the child’s driving privileges if he or she is not demonstrating responsible behavior.

• Continue to monitor their child’s driving after receipt of their provisional license, reinforce safety belt use, and limit passengers, cell phone use and other driving distractions.

Dang....guess they didn't take that responsibility. Too many people don't put enough responsibility on the parents. Parents complained that the school took too much into their own hands of students for punishment so they did away with the paddle.

When I got my license I had restrictions. I couldn't be out between the hours of (I think) 10 PM and 6 AM on weekdays. Guess what, if I didn't make it home before 10 PM I didn't have a car the next week to drive to school. I had to ride the school bus. I wasn't the golden child or perfect angel, but we did stupid stuff in a harmless environment...like a cow field.

First off, how do you know what he has or hasn't violated, or are you just surmising? Just because the parents have money are you making assumptions that he has a previous history and they did nothing, or do you have some way of knowing this for sure? If you're right, then the parents deserve whatever comes their way.....so does the kid. If you're just guessing, then you are dangerously close to libel, even though having more passengers than you're supposed to in a vehicle is a real big "so what?" as long as the vehicle is equipped for it......I'd be a whole lot more worried about serious speeding, wreckless driving, and drunk driving offenses. I'd certainly punish the kid for it if I were the parent, but it doesn't rise to the level of lynching the parents over it.

Secondly, do you have teenaged kids? It's a simple "yes or no" question. If you don't, then you don't have any business telling other people how to raise theirs.

Last edited:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is terrible but lets not forget, not only is the boy to blame but whovever "supplied" his alcohol should be held responsible too. Not saying the kids and parents are not to blame also. When my boy didn't do what he was suppose to do his truck was taken, the second time it was sold.

Yep. The second time my stepson got in trouble, I dropped him from the insurance and took the truck permanently. I didn't sell it, it's mine now. I just have 2 trucks now, that's all. He has two feet and a bicycle to get where he needs to go, and I don't really care if it's convenient for him or not.

merc123

First off, how do you know what he has or hasn't violated, or are you just surmising? Just because the parents have money are you making assumptions that he has a previous history and they did nothing, or do you have some way of knowing this for sure? If you're right, then the parents deserve whatever comes their way.....so does the kid. If you're just guessing, then you are dangerously close to libel, even though having more passengers than you're supposed to in a vehicle is a real big "so what?" as long as the vehicle is equipped for it......I'd be a whole lot more worried about serious speeding, wreckless driving, and drunk driving offenses. I'd certainly punish the kid for it if I were the parent, but it doesn't rise to the level of lynching the parents over it.

Secondly, do you have teenaged kids? It's a simple "yes or no" question. If you don't, then you don't have any business telling other people how to raise theirs.

He's 16. At 16 you have a Class D license. There is no surmising, it's written on OCGA. Class D licenses have restrictions which are published in OCGA. I stated what restrictions were part of the Class D restriction and stated what was violated based on the news article that was written. If the accident occured at 12:01 AM and the Class D restrictions says you can't get out between the hours of 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM then explain to me how that is libel. It would seem like a pretty obvious fact that it was a violation.

I'm not making any assumptions that because his parents have money that he has a previous history. I'm making the assumption that this probably wasn't his first "violation" of the Class D restrictions.

I strongly disagree with your comment about "even though having more passengers than you're supposed to in a vehicle is a real big "so what?" and to be more conerned with the speeding and reckless driving. It's either against the law or it's not. I had restrictions on my license that say I must wear contacts of glasses. If I get pulled over for something like a tail light I can get a ticket if I don't have contacts in my eyes or glasses. I couldn't read the "E" on the chart. It's a minor issue right? What if I wasn't wearing either one and couldn't see a child and his Dad walking along side of the street and I hit them, killing the child while doing 40 MPH over the limit? Was I any less wrong if I was wearing my glasses or contacts? It's semantics.

No, I don't have any kids. Has a preacher seen God? Does that make him or her less qualified to preach? If he can read a book so can I, right? I've been a teenager though and I saw how my parents raised me and I saw their mistakes and hope not to duplicate them.

The military has these wonderful things called risk assessments. When you do a risk assessment you attempt to develop hazards and risks and then come up with steps on how to mitigate them. Does that mean because the person doing the risk assessment hasn't been snake bit, struck by lightning, had heat stroke that they can't develop a proper assessment on how to reduce the risk of those.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
He's 16. At 16 you have a Class D license. There is no surmising, it's written on OCGA. Class D licenses have restrictions which are published in OCGA. I stated what restrictions were part of the Class D restriction and stated what was violated based on the news article that was written. If the accident occured at 12:01 AM and the Class D restrictions says you can't get out between the hours of 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM then explain to me how that is libel. It would seem like a pretty obvious fact that it was a violation.

I'm not making any assumptions that because his parents have money that he has a previous history. I'm making the assumption that this probably wasn't his first "violation" of the Class D restrictions.

I strongly disagree with your comment about "even though having more passengers than you're supposed to in a vehicle is a real big "so what?" and to be more conerned with the speeding and reckless driving. It's either against the law or it's not. I had restrictions on my license that say I must wear contacts of glasses. If I get pulled over for something like a tail light I can get a ticket if I don't have contacts in my eyes or glasses. I couldn't read the "E" on the chart. It's a minor issue right? What if I wasn't wearing either one and couldn't see a child and his Dad walking along side of the street and I hit them, killing the child while doing 40 MPH over the limit? Was I any less wrong if I was wearing my glasses or contacts? It's semantics.

No, I don't have any kids. Has a preacher seen God? Does that make him or her less qualified to preach? If he can read a book so can I, right? I've been a teenager though and I saw how my parents raised me and I saw their mistakes and hope not to duplicate them.

The military has these wonderful things called risk assessments. When you do a risk assessment you attempt to develop hazards and risks and then come up with steps on how to mitigate them. Does that mean because the person doing the risk assessment hasn't been snake bit, struck by lightning, had heat stroke that they can't develop a proper assessment on how to reduce the risk of those.

OK. You're the expert. :rolleyes:

Once you've raised 4 of them, then come back and tell me how to do it. :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

georgia_home

Don't have stats about which group is the most deadly, but I've known folks from several different groups that have killed others through irresponsible actions.

Cousin died @ 17, driven by 18yo friend, RIP KJL
coworker, 22, killed a few DUI. Did time, a few years.
Neighbor, 50-something took a few out at a mid-Atlantic beach resort a few years back.

All alcohol involved. And remember, it ain't just alcohol. Texting, inattentive driving, road conditions and loads of other driver errors on the roads can kill. Make sure you got your stuff wired tight when driving. We all make mistakes when driving, and most have no effect because of dumb luck, but things like DUI, etc, are not excusable.

It ain't just the young that you should try to protect. Stop anyone you see DUI. It they ain't your kids, it may be your kids, family, friends or a strangers life you save!!!

Last edited:

polkhunt

Banned
I agree what he did was stupid but I don't agree with suing the parents the 16 year knew what he was doing he is the only one responsible. I also don't agree with anyone going after who ever gave him or sold him the alcohol, nobody open his mouth and poured it down his throat. If someone gives you a loaded gun you don't have to shoot it. That being said they should give him the death penalty. He drank and decided to drive, he murdered those people plain and simple.

egomaniac247

I was raised in about as good of a christian household as you can be raised in...and Lord knows I did some really stupid things as a teenager that could have went south on me quickly and changed my life forever.

The bottom line is that you can't judge or blame the parents in this one unless/until you know all the facts. Maybe they haven't done a good job parenting. Maybe they have, but they can't stand over him 24/7 and weed all of the bad influences out of his life.

jmar28

I was raised in about as good of a christian household as you can be raised in...and Lord knows I did some really stupid things as a teenager that could have went south on me quickly and changed my life forever.

The bottom line is that you can't judge or blame the parents in this one unless/until you know all the facts. Maybe they haven't done a good job parenting. Maybe they have, but they can't stand over him 24/7 and weed all of the bad influences out of his life.

And with that comment.....the thread should be closed......Great Post!!!:cheers:

rjcruiser

So sad. Prayers sent for the family.

Can't imagine the loss of a child.

mdgmc84

My brother has been involved in an accident with a drunk driver before. he was on his way home from work on a 4 lane highway about 9pm when a guy in a suv pulled out in front of him then stopped in the four lane right in front of him. My brother hit him doing 40 or so after he slammed on brakes. one of the passengers in the suv got killed in the accident. not one of them where wearing seat belts, all had been drinking. That messed my brother up for a little while knowing that he hit the car and it killed the guy, but he wasn't doing anything wrong, that dang idiot thought he was safe to drive. My brother was ok for the most part other then being extremely sore for a little while. especially his knee he has had two surgeries on. He was very lucky though. for the guys in the car that had been drinking they weren't so lucky.

mdgmc84

And being in college i know of multiple accidents from fellow students that took their life drinking and driving. Not only is it irresponsible with your own life, but also everyone else on the road.

Garcia Mitchler

"but for the Grace of God, there go I..." ~ D. L. Moody

-both for many of us when we were teenagers, and for us now that most of us have not been the victims of such needless loss...

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sad situation for all families involved., in the end all you can do with your kids is teach them right from wrong and that every decision has consequences...good or bad. Mine are 21 and 25...hopefully they were paying attention, they have both lost several friends from stupidity and the sense of invinsibility that comes with youth.

merc123

Just an update...

http://www.thenewsobserver.com/articles/2012/01/24/news/news01.prt
January 23, 2012
The Fannin County grand jury has returned a 16-count indictment against Jacob Robert Lee in connection with a July 1, 2011, wreck on Hwy. 515 at Josh Hall Road. That crash claimed the life of a Florida girl and seriously injured several members of her family.

The indictment charges Lee, 16, of Morganton with two counts of homicide by vehicle, eight counts of serious injury by vehicle, driving under the influence of an inhalant, reckless driving, failure to maintain lane, failure to wear a seat safety belt, open container, and violation of duty upon striking a fixed object.

The November 2011 term of the grand jury returned the true bill of indictment during its Jan. 17 meeting. The indictment was filed with the Clerk of Courts Friday.

The indictment charges Lee with the death of six-year-old Hannah Johnson of Palm Bay, Fla., and the serious injury of four of her family members, Owen Johnson, 3, Kathryn Johnson, 8, Brooke Johnson, 10, and their mother Suzanna Johnson, 32.

There are two counts of homicide by vehicle even though there was only a single fatality because one count is based on the underlying DUI charge and the other is based on the underlying reckless driving charge. Likewise with the serious injury by vehicle charges, there are two counts for each victim based on the separate underlying charges.

The indictment outlines the nature of the injuries sustained by the Johnsons. Owen suffered a severed spinal cord, rendering him paralyzed. Kathryn suffered multiple breaks in both legs, two fractures to her pelvis, and a broken arm and wrist. Brooke suffered a broken leg and other multiple fractures. Suzanna, who was pregnant at the time of the wreck suffered six cracked ribs and internal bleeding.

Lee is charged with causing the accident, which occurred at 11:41 p.m. on July 1.

The driving under the influence (less safe) charge alleges that Lee was driving under the intentional influence of the aerosol chemical difluoroethane to the extent that it was less safe for him to drive.

The reckless driving charge alleges that Lee drove his vehicle off the roadway, struck a guard rail and continued through a red light at one intersection, approaching traffic stopped for a second red light at a speed in excess of 75 mph.

Lee’s case had originally been filed in Fannin County Juvenile Court, but in a Dec. 29 proceeding, Juvenile Court Judge Frank Fulford issued an order transferring the case to Superior Court for Lee to be tried as an adult, resulting in the presentment of the case to the grand jury.

After the jurisdiction was transferred to Superior Court, Lee was booked on charges of homicide by vehicle, serious injury by vehicle, DUI and reckless driving Jan. 3, and was immediately released on a $20,000 bond.