Paulding Forest WMA

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You are probably not going to get much info on any public land overall. I will say that from my experience of hunting public land, there is good hunting on most of them. What you put in for effort will usually equal the rewards you get back.

Toliver

Dupree

You can bow hunt it until 11/8. The gun hunt is from 11/9-11/12. Make sure you sign in. Look for deer sign and not just “pretty woods” and you should see some deer. Crowded is an understatement for the rifle hunts.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Also you can’t hunt there everyday during the season right?
Have you picked up a regulations magazine yet? I get mine at Walmart every year. I fill my calendar with any dates that affect my possible plans. I often refer back many times to make sure. Like the WMA, the dates can be choppy too.

You can bow hunt it until 11/8. The gun hunt is from 11/9-11/12. Make sure you sign in. Look for deer sign and not just “pretty woods” and you should see some deer. Crowded is an understatement for the rifle hunts.
Like this ^^^ for example is correct. But I think there may be another one in December. Most WMAs will have several 3-4 day hunts, but they all differ. Start with a regs magazine and go from there.

westcobbdog

The reality is if you bow hunt there are lots of open days and a lot of spots available. Went pretty far back in the WMA yesterday and saw 2 other bow hunters plus 3 more leaving the gate.
This was on a huge tract of land. Reference the WMA map, pick a few spots and go visit. Gun season is literally a weekend in Nov and a weekend in Dec., that's it. During gun it can get crowded depending on where you go. After working at it alone and with friends particularly over the last 3 years I have somewhat learned maybe 5 diff tracts / areas. Shot 1 decent buck so far from PF.

I like to check out the previous years WMA hunt summaries. Gives me an idea of the % chance of success as well.

Paulding Forrest 22-23

11/10-11/13 Bonus Firearm day 15% success rate with 809 hunters.
12/08-12/11 Firearms day 3% with 393 hunters

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The reality is if you bow hunt there are lots of open days and a lot of spots available. Went pretty far back in the WMA yesterday and saw 2 other bow hunters plus 3 more leaving the gate.
This was on a huge tract of land. Reference the WMA map, pick a few spots and go visit. Gun season is literally a weekend in Nov and a weekend in Dec., that's it. During gun it can get crowded depending on where you go. After working at it alone and with friends particularly over the last 3 years I have somewhat learned maybe 5 diff tracts / areas. Shot 1 decent buck so far from PF.
100%! I’ve been going to PF for a few years and am constantly going to new places. I don’t really go too deep unless I take the bike and park at a closed gate. If I’m on foot, I’m typically less than 1000yards from the truck…… but I’m lazy. I have my HuntStand app loaded with any point of interest. Even have a bunch of gates or other land marks marked as “check this one out too”, because I haven’t yet.
^^^^ second sentence above says alot. Pretty far back and saw 5 ppl!?! I don’t mind working Saturday and Sunday because I’m off and get to hunt/fish Tuesday and Wednesday. i seldom see more then 5 people even while I’m driving around. I’ll be hunting with the bow at PF til I go to Ky Nov 6. It’s worth spending time out there and I’ve yet to kill anything .

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I use to hunt it a good bit. Haven't been in about three years though. Seems to be considerably more crowded now than in the past. Use to have an area that I hunted where that rarely had people orher than me and my friend. Last hunt I went on, got back to the truck and there were 7 more parked with me. And this was not a gate or a road or a walking trail. This was a place on the side of a county road away from those things. With that being said, there is still some good hunting to be had there, just be mindful of the crowd and have several plans in place.

Toliver

It's actually until 11/17 but be mindful that there are a few dates bow season is closed to accommodate the few gun hunts.
20231023_120221.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Correct. There are select dates for gun hunts.
And.. Check for "Buck Only" days.

I ALMOST found that out the hard way as I always try to get a doe first and then hunt does and bucks.

Good thing a doe didn't show her face opening weekend of rifle. Just sayin'. :LOL:

Latest posts