Peanut crops this year??

Oldstick

OK, I am not a farmer nor do I have a green thumb for any type of vegetation. But I did notice we have had a full summer of steady rain showers with few very dry weeks in the middle GA area. The result is my lawn grass has spread better that it has in many years. Been having to keep it trimmed weekly or more all this summer.

So today, I noticed the Hardy Farms peanut stands are already opened. Stopped and got some green peanuts to boil. Sampling a few of the raw ones, I noticed they are all fully filled out and full of moisture. Not a peanut expert, but I am thinking these are going to be some very good ones in an hour or two when they finish boiling.

Interested in comments from others with more knowledge on this year's late summer crops.

Big7

The Oracle
Let them sit in the brine overnight. ?

Oldstick

Well these were green, and very tasty after 2 or 3 hours of boiling, then a couple more to cool down. Almost moist and tender enough for me to eat right out of the sack without cooking. My wife would not agree with that, so I "balled" them anyway.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Well these were green, and very tasty after 2 or 3 hours of boiling, then a couple more to cool down. Almost moist and tender enough for me to eat right out of the sack without cooking. My wife would not agree with that, so I "balled" them anyway.
I’m pretty sure you know this already,but you can pressure cook those goobers for about 15 minutes or so and they’ll be good and done.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve got a few rows in my garden that I need to be pulling up and picking off .

Oldstick

I’m pretty sure you know this already,but you can pressure cook those goobers for about 15 minutes or so and they’ll be good and done.

For me, yes. For Mrs. Oldstick, no way. Not even worth dragging the pressure cooker out of the closet for. :)