My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well biochar is a long term game. Its supposed to act like a battery and hold microbes and nutrients and water longer than the soil would. It will pull from the soil til its "full" so you may have to water and fertilize extra at first. Good luck!

That's the plan. I triple dosed the soil with the char so I'm triple dosing it with the black kow and lime. I'm going to give everything a couple of weeks to "settle" before I come back with the trip 13. I don't want to go too far the other way too fast and burn everything up with too much nitrogen plus I want to give that ag lime enough time to break down so it can do it's job with the fertilizer from the black kow. If everything doesn't jump in a few weeks I got the trip 13 on standby.

My goal is get the best yield I can this Summer and then this Fall hopefully the beds will pump out some serious Fall greens. Mama likes kale and I like collards.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I’m very thankful that I don’t have to deal with that

My bulldozer man that did the clearing and grubbing to the forester - "Mr. Kelly, If I owed a man a load of rocks and he wouldn't take these, I don't believe I'd pay the man." ;) ;)

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
4 inches of rain was rough on my garden, everything seems to have survived though. Pulled up the brussel sprouts, they were getting all kinds of eat up by bugs.
Squash, cukes and a few maters are blooming. Pole beans growing faster than I can trellis them.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Rain really got everything growing. Especially the weeds. Had a little time to work the garden yesterday afternoon. Didn’t get it all done but will have plenty of time to finish up Sunday. 71949B46-E680-471A-A68E-01C28936491D.jpeg

B. White

Planted all the skips n put the netting up for beans today. Also planted the red beans. Heirloom corn hits the dirt tomorrow. Also got some jalepenos to plant. Pics tomorrow hopefully

You must not have has as much rain as we did. We got 2.02" and it is still wet in low spots. We must have been a lot drier than I thought. Corn I replanted in skips on 4/24, field corn planted on 4/27 and peas and beans to fill in the gaps all jumped out of the ground after the rain. I don't recall anything setting there 17 days this time of the year in the past before it came up. Now it just needs to get dry enough to get the wheel hoe in it.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
You must not have has as much rain as we did. We got 2.02" and it is still wet in low spots. We must have been a lot drier than I thought. Corn I replanted in skips on 4/24, field corn planted on 4/27 and peas and beans to fill in the gaps all jumped out of the ground after the rain. I don't recall anything setting there 17 days this time of the year in the past before it came up. Now it just needs to get dry enough to get the wheel hoe in it.

Glad everything popped up for u. My whole garden was growing in 6-7 days, just a ton of skips. We got a good bit of rain but was just dry enough to work in. My other issue I’m having is parts are washing out in heavy rain. May have to put a terrace in above the garden before next year.

I’m blaming my over use of fertilizer for the skips. You could kinda see the rows doing better from one side to the next as the amount of fertilizer dwindled. Time will tell I reckon.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Glad everything popped up for u. My whole garden was growing in 6-7 days, just a ton of skips. We got a good bit of rain but was just dry enough to work in. My other issue I’m having is parts are washing out in heavy rain. May have to put a terrace in above the garden before next year.

I’m blaming my over use of fertilizer for the skips. You could kinda see the rows doing better from one side to the next as the amount of fertilizer dwindled. Time will tell I reckon.
There has to be a justment. Been so long since I used one. Bet google has something to show how.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
One the neighbors got some the turnips. Said don’t harrow in yet I’ll be back for more.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
There has to be a justment. Been so long since I used one. Bet google has something to show how.

It’s just old. Too much spilling around the sides. I used some heavy duty aluminum foil to create a baffle to throttle it some but it was too late when I figured that out. I’m gonna replace the hopper n some parts that are rusted out before next year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Glad u caught him. Those are the coolest critters. @NCHillbilly sez they tasty too. I ain’t never tried one.
They are, but having one get in your garden is about the same as going out there and taking a weedeater to it.