My #4th summer garden, continued: Harvest Season!!

sportsman94

2 garden munchers loaded in the back of the truck, and hauled to Dorminey's

Saw 7 more cross the hill, and go in the woods, but couldn't get a clear shot at them
Good shooting! The ones that eat my garden don’t spend much time around the house in daylight. Only saw a handful the last couple years outside of what’s on camera. I think I’m ok with that considering they don’t spend much time in the garden

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Good shooting! The ones that eat my garden don’t spend much time around the house in daylight. Only saw a handful the last couple years outside of what’s on camera. I think I’m ok with that considering they don’t spend much time in the garden
these 2 won't be spending much time around my house once the grands figure out I have deer jerky in the house

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Glad u fellas keeping it rolling. I failed n missed the window on the winter garden.

Loving the pics! This is good stuff and I’m learning from y’all every post.

sportsman94

Glad u fellas keeping it rolling. I failed n missed the window on the winter garden.

Loving the pics! This is good stuff and I’m learning from y’all every post.

Don’t feel bad, I started some seeds in trays 2 months or more ago now. They are still in there just barely hanging on. I need to get them out, but have had too many other things going on. And don’t feel like watering since we have had no rain whatsoever it seems

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No garden munchers were given a ride tonight, because they never step out of the undergrowth.

Tomorrow is another day.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Don’t feel bad, I started some seeds in trays 2 months or more ago now. They are still in there just barely hanging on. I need to get them out, but have had too many other things going on. And don’t feel like watering since we have had no rain whatsoever it seems

I had plenty of fair warning. I prepped the dirt but then never went n got the seeds, just got busy n lazy I guess. Im regretting it now watching folks get it rolling along.

B. White

I did the lazy method of transplanting for fall. Picked up a 1" and 3" auger from amazon that fits in the drill. Pulled up cucumbers and maters and whatever grass there was from the summer where I had spread wood chips. Scraped wood chips back and poked a hole before the last big rain and put most of them in the ground. I'm ready for some collards.

1698276881356.png

Ran the all purpose plow through the area next to it where I had buckwheat. Was going to till it, but another rain was coming so I stuck my lettuce and another 30-40 smaller transplants on the hill the APP left.

1698277048739.png

Did the same with sugar snaps. Pulled back the wood chips with a hoe and planted without plowing.

1698277136110.png

I haven't weeded anything in over a month and my several rows of greens are showing it. It was dry and I was trying to let it get up before I ran through it. I'll pull the wheel hoe out this week and clean it up.

1698277365373.png

We will see if my fall maters turn. Ya'll should have reminded me that the days before frost get shorter, so the lack of sunlight each days should probably have been figured in, but they ain't bad.

1698277500514.png

I have a couple of hundred onions in trays in the house. I'll think about transplanting when we have some rain in the forecast and fill in the rest with turnips. The onion tops have grown enough every 2-3 days to use whatever I cut off in omelets, so I aint in a hurry.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
well, another garden muncher is at the processors. Told him make it all hamburger, and I hope to see him again tomorrow. There were at least 2 more with this one, but they never would step out from behind the brush pile of tree limbs I had pushed up.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Well 2023 is officially over. I pulled up the last remaining zucchini, cucumber and pepper plants. Picked about 15 banana peppers and a half gallon of green tomatoes before everything got yanked out and put in the burn pile.

I learned that the haybale method works well and will definitely be repeated next year.

Seems the yield is a little lower on everything except tomatoes and cucumbers but definitely less disease or bug damage to the bale plants.

B. White

Well 2023 is officially over. I pulled up the last remaining zucchini, cucumber and pepper plants. Picked about 15 banana peppers and a half gallon of green tomatoes before everything got yanked out and put in the burn pile.

I learned that the haybale method works well and will definitely be repeated next year.

Seems the yield is a little lower on everything except tomatoes and cucumbers but definitely less disease or bug damage to the bale plants.
Yep, today was the last for me for summer stuff, but I didn’t pull anything. Picked a couple of baskets of late butter beans, jalapeños, bell peppers, gypsy peppers and eggplant. My wife will be freezing peppers the next couple of evenings. I covered my late maters, because at dark there was no wind like was predicted, but it has picked up now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I pulled the rest of my peppers and squash this evening. I had a plastic shopping bag full of peppers, and about 2/3rds of a bag of squash.

Good bye to the summer eats

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we cut up peppers, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Then we break them apart, put them in vac sealed bags, and put them in the freezer to use later. We use them in chili mostly. You don't have to blanch them or anything before freezing.

Those jalapenos would make some great cowboy candy, or you can make stuffed peppers with sausage and cheese with them. Or you can always pickle some of your peppers too. Or pepper jelly is great

B. White

I went out and picked 10-15 lbs of green maters off of the ones I planted in late August. We covered them with sheets and tablecloths before the first early freeze, but they were still burnt bad and I thought they were gone and pulled everything I could then, but some of the bottom stayed green and put on some more, so a good bonus this time of the year. Learned about two weeks earlier transplanting would have been about right.

Let several from the first picking turn red and they looked more like a Florida grocery store mater, but tasted better in some fresh picked lettuce. My wife is frying some more green ones tonight, so something good to add variety to the greens we are picking.

1701216969025.png