Peep Sight diameter hole size?

Fishin & Hunting

Got my bow out of the shop. They did a bang up job on fixing it. It's shooting great. But what I have problems with is the peep sight they put on it. The first time I pulled it back, I could tell the peep sight diameter was too big for me. I asked the guy at the bow shop who was standing right beside me (we were making sure the peep was at the right place on the bow string) if he could put a smaller peep on it. He told me that they had a 3/16" peep on it and that was the smallest diameter size they had for a peep. This just does not sound right. So my question is, what size diameter do you all use on your bows?

I just have way too much area showing around the circle of my bow sight.

Ihunt

If you’re a hunter, I would learn to like it. And since this is in the bowhunting section, I assume you are. I would only change it if I was a target only shooter.

ddd-shooter

Agree with others. If the peep is hard to center on your housing, you can move the sight ring closer to the riser on some sights, or buy a bigger ring or housing on some as well.

Tadder

They are smaller peeps but I don't think you would be happy with one in low light levels. It cost me a nice buck when I was a younger man. I though I could see very well and put a smaller peep in. After losing a chance at a nice buck it didn't take me long too change it back too a 3/16 peep, I'm OLDER now and shoot a 1/4 peep. Need all the light I can get now.(y)

3/16 WILL GIVE YOU BEST BALANCE OF ACCURACY WITHOUT COMPROMISING VISIBILITY. LIKE MANY THINGS IN ARCHERY WITH EVERY DECISION, THERE'S GOING TO BE GIVE AND TAKE. IE. TARGET PEEPS ARE 1/16THS BUT THOSE JOKERS DONT HARVEST MEAT LIKE WE DO.

THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER OTHER THAN YOUR PEEP SHOULD BE ONLY A HAIR LARGER THAN SIGHT RING. IT SHOULD ECLIPSE THAT SIGHT RING WITH VERY LITTLE LIGHT AROUND IT.

LTFDretired

Go to a local pro shop. Use their advice. Even if it is not up to your individual eyesight needs the Pro can swap it out until the right size it found imho

AliBubba

Agree with all and specially with post above.. at full draw, my peep covers the circumference/housing of my sight.

Ben1100Mag

I took my Peep out years ago and have never missed it. Just use a solid anchor point.

GA Puma

Peep sight diameter should depend on how far away it is at full draw, reference to your sight housing and needed light. Try a few.