Pepe Le Pew

Triple C

I’ve seen a handful during daylight while in the woods. Oddly, I’ve never encountered one that showed any fear of my presence. First one I encountered I assume had rabies as it clearly saw me only a few yards away and showed no concern or fear, nor did it scurry away.

Others the same. Due to their very effective defense mechanism, I came to the conclusion that they don’t see humans as a threat. Have no idea if that’s true or not. Just me observation on very limited encounters.

furtaker

Every one I've ever walked up on has shown no fear of me either. They have a secret weapon and aren't afraid to use it.

TJay

I've only seen a couple too, both times on camping trips. They were very close encounters and I was fortunate they let me off the hook both times.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Smelled them now and again, but never actually saw one in all my years in GA. Started hunting midwest in 05 or 06 and saw them regularly and of course smell them a lot more often.

Funny thing is I actually like the smell when I pass one in the woods or on the road. I guess it's a memory sensory thing from when I first started hunting and used skunk and fox pee as a cover scent???

Toliver

When I was a kid one took up residence under the porch we had added onto the camper at the hunting club. My dad would drop the bones from his fried chicken and it would come out and grab them with people standing all around shooting the breeze. It never bothered us. It stayed a while and eventually moved on to somewhere else.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've only seen a couple of live skunks over the years and it was during the day both times. I'm sure we've all seen and smelled quite a few dead ones on the road.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Have came across several during the day while either working or hunting, they never seemed to care if you were within feet of them.

Around here in NW FL in January it is mating season. Will see a bunch run over. Any other month not hardly a one dead on the road.

2dye4

All my years in the woods at night coon hunting and day time hunting everything else, i've only seen 2, both at night....
I’ve only seen 1 and it was in Canada along an irrigation canal in broad daylight. I let him have his space.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Only seen 2 in my life (both striped). Both right at dark while hunting

Never seen a spotted one. They look all kinds of cool

Lukikus2

I’ve seen a handful during daylight while in the woods. Oddly, I’ve never encountered one that showed any fear of my presence. First one I encountered I assume had rabies as it clearly saw me only a few yards away and showed no concern or fear, nor did it scurry away.

Others the same. Due to their very effective defense mechanism, I came to the conclusion that they don’t see humans as a threat. Have no idea if that’s true or not. Just me observation on very limited encounters.

Same for me. My Brother was driving out of the field with his windows down and ran over one and it was months before the smell went away.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Where I see them mostly run over is a 1/4 mile patch of road with oaks/upland areas on one side of the road and ag fields on the other side.

Will see 5-10 killed in that stretch every year late December through January.

From what I can tell from running up on them during the day is they have poor eyesight and will stand up on there hind legs trying to smell you. Never had one attempt to spray me and they would be within a few feet.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We have plenty here in West Ga ! Kinda weird though , I live on one side the county and have never seen one around my home . My dad lives on the other side the county and they are pretty common

Josh B

They are all around Madison. Always dead on the roads. There was a couple babies living right on the side of our street. I messed with them a few times after I read they can't spray until a certain age. They were pretty cool to feed until one got ran over. And red fox's are all in my neighborhood.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Pretty much the same but within 3 miles....none around the house but they get killed regular this time of the year on the road within 3 miles of the house.

Even when I had bees and chickens never saw sign of them and those 2 things attract them pretty good.