Pepe Le Pew

across the river

Seen a few of those over the years, but only one spotted skunk, which was cool to see. I was duck hunting this rice plantation lease years ago, and everybody heads out to their pit blind. No sooner do we get settled in that we here the guys on the field beside us go to yelling, then they get in there rangers and drive off real quick, headed back to the house. Turns out there was one holed up in this gap below the dog box. They had all put all there stuff down and settled in before the dog finally spooks him enough and sprays. That was the only time I have been around one that sprayed. It was a bad deal. Five or six of them just sitting in there waiting on shooting light and that joker sprays them. The dog and the two guys on that end took the brunt of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Its skunk rut right now.
It's starting here, but won't be going good for a couple more weeks. I've seen about half a dozen in the road this week going out to work. By the first of March, the roads will be covered with dead polecats.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We are infested with them here. Very few mornings I don't have to pile on the brakes going out before daylight. Used to have a lot of the little spotted skunks, too, but I haven't seen one of those in several years. The old people called them civet cats and the regular striped skunks polecats.

basshappy

BANNED
In Ohio skunks are legal as pets. I had one in college and he was awesome! Soft and cuddly, loved to waddle around, no problem. Nice and quiet. :)

Wanderlust

Seen several through the years, even a solid white one.
Years ago I hooked the flex irrigation hose to the hard hose and turned the gun on to irrigate a corn field.
A skunk had hid in the hard hose and the water pushed him through the turbine and he stuck in the gun.
Yeah, that was fun getting him out.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I saw a white one at Pinelog and a few here and there here in Cherokee county, but not a lot.

BASS1FUN

I haven’t seen any since the 90’s , I use to bow hunt from the ground and one was walking towards me and I was praying for him to stop and turn around in which he did he was so close I thought I was going to be sprayed, I’ve smelled them since but no sightings.

Jim Boyd

I smelled one at a gas station the other day….. oh wait…… that was something else I smelled.

rosewood

Never seen a skunk in the wild in my life and I have spent a lot of time in the woods. When I was young, I remember smelling them along the road all the time, used to hold my mom's nose for her when we smelled one while she was driving. I guess the population of them has diminished since those days.

Rosewood

huntersluck

I have hunted for over 40 years in Ga never actually saw one hunting. I live in NW Ga and never saw one at all until a few years ago saw one ran over. The last few years it has gotten very common to see them ran over , it seems like the population is starting to rise slowly like the armadillos did

Shadow11

One got ran over up the road last night. Shooo weeee doggy! That thing was rank when going to the walmart at 6 am.

Had one walk by me yrs ago, while in a ground blind. 10 ft away. Never been more still in my life!