Perennial Clover

sportsman94

I currently have a field that is close to 2.5 acres located just south of Perry, Ga. I had it limed a couple years ago, but will get another soil test this coming year to see what it needs. Next fall, I would like to convert half of it into a perennial clover. I’ve read many old threads on perennial clover, but am still seeking more knowledge on the subject. First question being what varieties? I see that durana is recommended to be grown Macon or above. I’m about 40 mins south of macon. I see regalgraze ladino being mentioned commonly. Is regalgraze the preferred brand or will any sort of ladino do? I’ve heard about patriot as well. Is there any other varieties that I need to pay attention to?
Secondly, I’ve seen mixed reviews on how to maintain the clover. Mowing versus not mowing. Are y’all with perennial clover plots mowing these days or have you given up on that?
Lastly, what rates are you using when planting with a nurse crop. 50 pounds of cereal grain?

I’m sure there’s a lot of other questions that I’m missing so any other information you want to give would be great.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Get your soil ph close to 6.5 and P&K levels up to where your soil test suggests, when you tell them that you want to plant a white clover.

IHunt does a good job with his Durana and he can't be too far away from your property. I am slightly NW of where you are in Talbot County and I still have plots I keep in Durana, and they do ok. Sometimes I just add more seed every year.

Below are some varieties, recommended for Florida, which wouldn't hurt for you to consider. It never hurts to do a mix of clovers and go with some newer varieties which has newer resistance to bugs and fungus and ......

I am a big believer in adding medium red clover as well, due to it's longer tap root and drought tolerance.

Attachments

• Florida clovers.JPG
    Florida clovers.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Durana Graph.JPG
    Durana Graph.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Clover and soil ph.JPG
    Clover and soil ph.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Red Clover Suitability for climate and soil ph.JPG
    Red Clover Suitability for climate and soil ph.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 21
  • soil ph map.JPG
    soil ph map.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 18
  • White Clover Establishment.JPG
    White Clover Establishment.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
  • White Clover suitability map for climate and soil.JPG
    White Clover suitability map for climate and soil.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 20

Canuck5

I am one of those guys that no mow no mo. Biggest reason is I battle grass mainly in my plots and mowing doesn't kill it, so I spray. If you check out this podcast at about 15:40, it will explain the reasoning .... but others on here do mow.

Attachments

• Mowing.JPG
    Mowing.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 13

Canuck5

And you have to calculate PLS or pure live seed. Some crimson clover I bought this year had 18 pounds of PLS in a 50 pound bag. Crimson clover seems cheap, but it just might now be, however crimson is always the first clover to jump out of the ground in the fall to feed the deer early.

Attachments

• Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 9

Canuck5

10 reasons why food plots fail

Attachments

• 10 reasons food plots fail.JPG
    10 reasons food plots fail.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 10 reasons food plots fail-1.JPG
    10 reasons food plots fail-1.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 10 reasons food plots fail-2.JPG
    10 reasons food plots fail-2.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 10 reasons food plots fail-3.JPG
    10 reasons food plots fail-3.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 21

Canuck5

I copy and paste well ...... :)

Ihunt

On a different note, that little 5lb bag they sell that says does a acre is hogwash. I’d do at least double that with about 50-75lbs an acre of a grain. I then spray Cleth in early March to kill the grain. I will usually give it a little fertilizer at this time also.

You can let the grain mature and it will do fine. It may even help but I like a pretty clover plot that’s weed and grass free. Looking good is half the fun!!!

Ihunt

Op,
Did you ever do anything with your plot?

Ihunt

Not yet. I’m a big time planner and was gathering information to form a game plan for this fall. I am planning to put an acre in clover this fall though and see how it goes!
When you say close to Perry, where at exactly?
I posted some pics a week or so ago of some plots I have in Dooly county. They’re a mix of Durana and medium Red.

sportsman94

Haynesville is where we are actually located so very close to the corner of Pulaski/dooly counties. Glad to hear yours is doing well there. I’ll check out the pics!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If I were going to plant a perennial clover I would mix several varieties that will grow thru out the year.Duranna,patriot,medium red would be the foundation,and add some other ,essentially used for a fill in.
But fist get the ph to 6.5 which means soil test soon.add lime turn it under and wait on fall

sportsman94

If I were going to plant a perennial clover I would mix several varieties that will grow thru out the year.Duranna,patriot,medium red would be the foundation,and add some other ,essentially used for a fill in.
But fist get the ph to 6.5 which means soil test soon.add lime turn it under and wait on fall

I’ll have to take one again soon. It should be there based on the last soil test and lime application a couple years ago. We over applied lime at the time to get the minimum load for the spreader truck to spread it so hoping it’s there or close

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I’ll have to take one again soon. It should be there based on the last soil test and lime application a couple years ago. We over applied lime at the time to get the minimum load for the spreader truck to spread it so hoping it’s there or close
I have learned to guessamate lime lose in red clay.Its averages.a lose of .5 to 1.0 per year on a ph scale

Latest posts